Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan vs Ohio State 2018

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Deleted User 8570

Re: Michigan vs Ohio State 2018

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:39 pm
I would call Michigan State's BARELY win over 1-10 Rutgers even more embarrassing than this loss by Michigan.
That may be one of the stranger ways to rationalize the can of whoopass they opened not being so bad...

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:59 pm

For the record I'm not a big college football fan...will bandwagon follow MSU or U of M if either team is doing well. I've felt MSU has been overrated the entire season, and to barely beat a 1-10 team that throws for 130 yards per game shows just how bad MSU really is.

Michigan was better off losing this game anyways - did Michigan fans really want to watch Michigan get absolutely torched by Alabama in the playoffs? At least now they'll end up in a bowl game that they have a chance of winning.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:24 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:59 pm
For the record I'm not a big college football fan...will bandwagon follow MSU or U of M if either team is doing well. I've felt MSU has been overrated the entire season, and to barely beat a 1-10 team that throws for 130 yards per game shows just how bad MSU really is.

Michigan was better off losing this game anyways - did Michigan fans really want to watch Michigan get absolutely torched by Alabama in the playoffs? At least now they'll end up in a bowl game that they have a chance of winning.
If Ohio State puts up 62... how many does Alabama put up? 125?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:23 am

Those are really bad hot takes on your part, bmw.

So, because MSU ended its season with a thud (and you are right about MSU's performance on offense being embarrassing - that's been the case the past few weeks), I'm somehow supposed to feel better about Michigan (a) losing to Ohio State for the 10000x time since Y2K, (b) completely squandering its chance to play for its first Big Ten championship since Lloyd Carr was head coach, and (c) giving up the most points to Ohio State in the history of the rivalry?

Puh-leeeeeese.

I wouldn't have given a rat's ass if Michigan lost to Bama by 40 so long as we brought home a Big Ten title and defeated the Buckeyes in the process.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 am

In an odd way I'd feel better if we lost 23-0 or maybe 30-7. Even though the 23 point difference is the same somehow it wouldn't have seemed so bad in my head.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:16 am

Michigan may well end up in the Rose Bowl. I stand by my contention that a legitimate chance of winning the Rose Bowl is better than almost certainly getting blown out by Alabama in the playoffs - speaking of which, that may now happen to OSU. So at the end of the year, wouldn't it be nice to see Michigan win a Rose Bowl and OSU get blown out? That is ultimately how the season may end.

btw - I never say anyone should feel better about Michigan's loss because of how badly MSU played - I simply said that MSU's win was more embarrassing than Michigan's loss. Let's not forget that Michigan played on the road in a very tough place to play while MSU played AT HOME against an absolute bottom-of-the-barrel team - a game which Rutgers very nearly won and would have arguably been the most embarrassing loss in the modern era of football for MSU.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:22 pm

I stand by my contention that a legitimate chance of winning the Rose Bowl is better than almost certainly getting blown out by Alabama in the playoffs
I disagree.

A Big Ten conference championship, coming on the heels of a win on the road at Ohio State, followed by a big loss to Alabama would've been far, far better than the current possibilities.

All a bowl win does at this point is partially mitigate the damage done yesterday.

No one we'll face in a Rose Bowl matchup -- assuming OSU is able to make the national playoff -- is a rival, and no one we'll face there is targeting the same recruits as us.

I value conference championship wins much, much more than exhibition bowl game victories.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:37 pm

Now that I've had a day to digest this part dumpster fire/shit show, one thing I noticed is how quiet our rival teams' fan bases were up until the second half of the game. Granted, the only thing missing from the gift wrapped conference was a bow, Michigan did indeed win games against weaker divisional opponents. I said it was their division to lose, and they did just that. Having said that, there wasn't a lot of trash talk in the usual places I see it. I didn't hear much from MSU fan after we pulled that one out. I didn't hear a lot from OSU fan when they needed OT to beat Maryland by one point. But now that Michigan gave it all up to ohio, suddenly they all want to come out of the woodwork and start dogging Michigan. I think it speaks to how truly weak those teams are. And the fact is, ohio could still not get anything out of this. Sometimes that kind of stuff kills me.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:15 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:39 pm
I would call Michigan State's BARELY win over 1-10 Rutgers even more embarrassing than this loss by Michigan.
This is the same dopey shit that UM fans have roasted State fans for for YEARS (and rightfully so)... "well, my team lost but at least those guys lost/barely beat a shit team so it's not so bad!!!"

Stakes were H*** in this game: win and you go to Indy with a shot at a conference title and a spot in the playoff (both big reasons why Harbaugh is getting all that dough for him and his staff). They were unprepared and got embarrassed. I'm not sure how a 14-10 State victory over Rutgers softens that.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:37 pm
Now that I've had a day to digest this part dumpster fire/shit show, one thing I noticed is how quiet our rival teams' fan bases were up until the second half of the game. Granted, the only thing missing from the gift wrapped conference was a bow, Michigan did indeed win games against weaker divisional opponents. I said it was their division to lose, and they did just that. Having said that, there wasn't a lot of trash talk in the usual places I see it. I didn't hear much from MSU fan after we pulled that one out. I didn't hear a lot from OSU fan when they needed OT to beat Maryland by one point. But now that Michigan gave it all up to ohio, suddenly they all want to come out of the woodwork and start dogging Michigan. I think it speaks to how truly weak those teams are. And the fact is, ohio could still not get anything out of this. Sometimes that kind of stuff kills me.
One thing that DID strike me in the second half was cheering while Patterson was down and all the Ohio State fans complaining THEY were getting jobbed by the refs... despite being up by 30-some... comments such as “these refs are trying to give the game to Michigan!”... are you kidding me? No amount of jobbing in the world will bring you back from as far down as we were...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:34 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:47 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:37 pm
One thing that DID strike me in the second half was cheering while Patterson was down and all the Ohio State fans complaining THEY were getting jobbed by the refs... despite being up by 30-some... comments such as “these refs are trying to give the game to Michigan!”... are you kidding me? No amount of jobbing in the world will bring you back from as far down as we were...
I'm not sure how they could say that. 3 straight Michigan penalties moved ohio well into Michigan territory. While the officiating was better yesterday than previous years, it still left a lot to be desired in general. Those refs were very whistle happy. ohio has one of the worst fanbases around. But they keep winning and that's all that matters.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:47 am

Dabo Swinney is threatening to leave Clemson. Maybe U-M has a shot at hiring a head coach now.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am

Aren't you a Sparty Jack?
If my memory is correct shouldn't you be worried about where the coach went you used to have?

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:25 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 am
Aren't you a Sparty Jack?
If my memory is correct shouldn't you be worried about where the coach went you used to have?
Yeah, I've been a Spartan football fan since the 5th grade.

This topic wasn't started with the disclaimer, "For Wolverine fans only."

I'm an aficionado of all of college football and I'm not going to avoid commenting on one of the biggest local teams because some Wolverine fans are embaressed about Harbaugh loss in Columbus.

I'm serious about Dabo Swinney. Because if U-M is not Ohio State will be. Rumors abound about another health retirement for Meyer like he did from Florida. And then watch him pop-up at the Cleveland Browns if Harbaugh doesn't first.

And who am I supposed to be worried about?
John L. Smith and his 7-24 record at Kentucky State.
Or is it Saban who left like 19 years and three teams ago?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:49 am

I just get weary of the constant smack some people toss in to every otherwise reasonable comment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic