Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

More Translators coming soon to a radio near you

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14803

More Translators coming soon to a radio near you

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:53 pm

If you happen to be a fan of Cool FM @ 95.1 our days could be numbered to hear that station ,radio station WMKM 1440 has been announcing that something big is going to happen soon to 1440 and guess what?It’s a translator on 95.1 from Southfield and trust me it will cause problems for 95.1 in Oakland and Macomb County now this may not be a big deal for most ,you have ask what the heck is going on with FM is the Government allowing this to happen just to ruin radio or what ?,Ever since they allowed translators for really dumb reasons I think the Government is cashing in on this deal look at what happened when the first filling window opened in 2003 I think that was the beginning of the end for FM radio and here we are 15 years later with HD radio interference and translators on top of stations that We were able to receive from outside markets and now we have translators on top of translators look how many on 103.1 or 96.7 this is ridiculous !What do you think?

Mega Hertz

Re: More Translators coming soon to a radio near you

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Made a trip out to the east side (Sterling Heights, The Clem, Chesterfield) and quickly realized how poor the FM dial is out that way. Hearing "In the Mood" by Rush was a highlight on the aforementioned 95.1 though.

But where we usually get 103.9 The Fox or Ann Arbor's 107-1 or 94.9 WMMQ and WHMI was all either translators or religious programming. I really miss the days where I could DX something great out of Canada or a neighboring market, but those days are long gone. I really miss FM 96 out of London.

Of course, had Michigan not shit the bed, I wouldn't have been scanning the dial.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Out here in Shelby Township Before all this translator BS ,I was able to get Ann Arbor’s 107.1 if I had the antenna in a certain direction and Q Country 107 from Port Huron in the opposite direction now ,I get Air 1 on 107.1,106.3 ,105.5 and 93.5 from New Baltimore the question is why the hell do we need all these cloanes of Air 1 the FCC should at least regulate the same programming overlap situation if and when they thought this translator thing out but they didn’t and this is the finished product.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 am

I didn't think it was even possible to have more intererence on 95.1/100.7 CKUE

Boy was I wrong and am still confused as to how it's possible, lol

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:40 am

The Air-1 translator at 107.1 MHz seems to be operating at reduced power. No longer can pick them up clearly in the Troy area and also heard noticeable fuzz while driving through Madison Heights yesterday evening.

Right around the time 106.3/107.1 switched to Air-1, the 107.1 translator began having a lot of audio issues. The audio seems better now but the signal is much weaker than normal.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 am

With the translators, IBOC sidebands, and Canadian drop ins, you have to have a very good directional antenna and receiver. Its getting to remind me of the old days of CB radio, people with linears whistling into the microphone, and Central American CBers with linears and reverb exhorting in Spanish. Its not, as the NAB feared from Section 73.215, the AMization of the FM BC band, but the CBization of the FM BC band that has resulted.

Keep in mind that Canadian stations are only protected from interference on Canadian soil under the treaty, and US stations are only protected on US soil. CKSY and CKUE are Canadian stations. But if translator interference is what you don't like, remember that CFCO-FM-1 was the inspiration and prototype for US AM translators. CFCO 630 has one of the finest AM signals in Ontario.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic