Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Just how bad are the Lions?

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Just how bad are the Lions?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:18 am

Are you kidding me? Every pre-draft board I can find on google had Ebron listed as a mid first-round pick, as high as #8 overall.
A guy with a chronic case of the "drop-sies" in college? Puh-leeeese.

Are these the same "experts" who thought Brady Quinn was going to go super high in the first round years ago?

The Lions had far more pressing needs at the time. Most (but not all) folks characterized the pick at the time as being anywhere from "questionable" to "stupid."

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:58 pm

bmw wrote:
NS8401 wrote:Why are you naive enough to think Seattle is friendly enough to take more knees against us if we start calling timeouts? They would have ran that 17 seconds out -- literally. We never would have had a snowballs chance in hell at getting to the point of a free kick being makeable. You're grasping at straws. That's why nobody came up with it but you.
They had already taken a knee at 0:17. That runs the clock down to 0:16 or 0:15. So its already 2nd down. It is not easy to burn 0:15 seconds of clock in just 2 plays, at least not if you're being conservative, and especially when you've already mentally headed to the locker room. So it would have most likely made it to 4th down with at least a few seconds left. At that point, Seattle has a tough decision to make - try to burn those last few seconds and risk a turnover on downs deep in their own territory with 0:01 second left, or punt. My point is, there was virtually no danger whatsoever in taking those timeouts because Seattle was almost guaranteed to not score, but Detroit at least had a chance at 3 points before the half.
They get to :16, lions call timeout, Seattle runs backwards and sideways burning 7 seconds, does so again getting us down to :02 and then punts running out the clock. Not enough time.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Good teams have the luxury of drafting a TE in the first round. The Lions drafted Ebron at #10 when they KNEW they'd completely fucked themselves on the Suh deal by continually kicking the can down the road (on franchise tags and contract restructuring and whatnot and knowing that it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that they couldn't afford to resign him) and Aaron Donald was sitting there. You think he could've helped stop the run last night??? :razz Not to mention the fact that they had just signed their first round TE from 5 years earlier to a contract extension.

It was a completely wasted pick on a guy who is never going to be any better than a mid-pack TE in this league (spin the numbers however you'd like, that's his ceiling).

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 am

Concerning drafting Ebron, let's not forget that our incoming offensive coordinator that season was Joe Lombardi, longtime successful offensive assistant and quarterbacks coach with the Saints. Ebron was going to be for the Lions what Jimmy Graham was for the Saints -- an H-back of sorts who'd line up anywhere and give defenses fits. The fact that Lombardi and Stafford never jibed was problematic in hindsight.

Also, not often accentuated of late is that the Lions' offense was decimated by injuries, the most severely felt being those to RBs Ameer Abdullah at the season's beginning and Theo Riddick -- the latter being an important receiver out of the backfield. Defenses had absolutely zero respect for our running game. Combine all that with Stafford's finger injury and I think it was quite an achievement to reach the playoffs at all! Remember, we were positioned as the second playoff seed in the NFC as late as three or four weeks ago before Stafford's finger injury, a result of playing mostly mistake-free football against mostly mediocre teams.

I also have to agree that the Lions are getting zero respect from the refs. That veteran receiver Anquan Boldin would receive personal foul and unsportsman-like conduct penalties while Stafford was picked up and dropped like a hay bale without a call was beyond the pale! :evil: Besides, I think there are far too many pass interference calls being assessed - let them play fergodsakes!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Wow, what is it about opposing kickers this year? And GOOD kickers. That's 5 clanks off the goal posts in 2 weeks, and a missed extra point that essentially cost Carolina the game.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:47 pm
Wow, what is it about opposing kickers this year? And GOOD kickers. That's 5 clanks off the goal posts in 2 weeks, and a missed extra point that essentially cost Carolina the game.
Let's not forget the inexplicable kicking meltdown of Green Bay's Mason Crosby earlier this season -- something out of the Twilight Zone! :shock:

I think it's fair to say the Lions didn't win yesterday's game, Carolina out-and-out lost it. Despite their kicking woes and Devin Funchess' dropsies, that two-point conversion at the end was a wide open gimme that Newton simply FUBARed. Coach Rivera's decision to go for two was also questionable, but that's a whole 'nuther matter. Did he really lose all faith in his kicker?

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:55 am

Detroit had plenty of time to set up for a game winning field goal had Carolina made their 2-point conversion.

And that is why I think going for 2 was a bad idea. As was burning that timeout right before they went for 2. Had they not used it, they still had 2 timeouts and 1:07 left and thus could have forced a Detroit punt if they had missed their 2. ALSO, if they only kick 1 and tie it, Detroit might not be as anxious to force it down field for the game-winning field goal. And because Cam Newton played well in the 4th quarter, they really should have played for overtime.

On a side-note, per the NYT playoff scenario generator, Detroit is guaranteed a playoff spot if they win-out and have a 21% chance of a playoff spot if they beat Chicago on Thanksgiving (down to 1 percent if they lose that game).

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am

I agree with bmw the 2 point attempt was a bad idea. I can sort of get it in the Maryland Ohio State game although even there I would played for another overtime.
But in the NFL when you are supposedly the better team I think you play for the overtime.

I no longer directly engage trolls

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:58 am

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am
I agree with bmw the 2 point attempt was a bad idea. I can sort of get it in the Maryland Ohio State game although even there I would played for another overtime.
But in the NFL when you are supposedly the better team I think you play for the overtime.
There's apparently some unwritten coaching rule that says when you're on the road you go for the win and not a tie for OT, the logic of which escapes me, especially as you point out when you're the better team. Oh well. Again, even in OT with its newfangled non-sudden death rules, it may have come down to the kickers and Rivera might have lost faith in his.

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:03 pm

I saw the end of the Fox 2 pregame show on WXMI.

All the homers and their kids picked the Lions to win today, with one exception: Sean Baligian.

Kudos to Sean for being a voice of sanity!

BTW, great job, Wojo, on your 2-8 record with picks this year. What a dingbat!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:03 pm
All the homers and their kids picked the Lions to win today, with one exception: Sean Baligian.
Kudos to Sean for being a voice of sanity!
BTW, great job, Wojo, on your 2-8 record with picks this year. What a dingbat!!
I don't think its a reach to think the Lions could win. The Bears played Sunday night, had to travel, and last I knew were playing their second string QB. I don't think they have won at Ford field in 5 years. So picking Detroit to lose isn't a "voice of sanity" although its a reasonable prediction.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Definitely a voice of sanity.

Lions had puke shit at wide receiver today, have had puke shit at tight end all year, have not looked good on defense most of the year, were playing against one of the better defenses in the NFL...and, oh yeah, they're the friggin LIONS.

The final score speaks for itself.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:02 pm

All your points are true yet they were there at the end until either a receiver ran a wrong route or less likely Stafford threw a wrong route. A botched play no doubt and a loss no doubt but it was a game that could have gone to OT in the last minute.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:05 pm

The records of those recent Bears teams have been nowhere nearly as good as the current team.

I guess what baffled me is the fact the picks on Fox 2's dog and pony show were overwhelmingly slanted in favor of the Lions. It was pitiful.

On the CBS national pregame, only one commentator picked Detroit, IIRC.

I think what you're trying to say is this was a classic Lions loss. :)

I was personally hoping it would get extended to OT with the Bears ultimately winning. Matty Pat would've looked like an even bigger jackass for that 2 point conversion attempt earlier in the half when it was a 13-9 game.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:26 am

That 2-point attempt by the Lions was a real head-scratcher. Typically you should only be going for 2 when the extra point does nothing for you. Here the extra point was quite valuable, as was proven by the way this game unfolded. Going for 2 to make it a 6-point game (so you survive 2 field goals?) is one of the less likely scenarios that can unfold. I'm convinced that whoever is engaging in clock and score management have an astonishingly low football IQ. Take the first game against Chicago for example - end of the first half. Chicago has the ball on their own 7 yard line, Detroit has a timeout left, it is 4th down, and you don't call that timeout to force Chicago to do something on 4th down? That was unbelievable to me as I was convinced that nobody on that sideline was even aware of the free kick rule - where if they punted (literally kicking from their own goal line) and you fair catch, even if the clock is at zero, you get a free attempt at a field goal with no defense on the field. Now there was only 3 seconds left, maybe Chicago tries to just run around and kill that clock, but that was risky and Chicago certainly would have been in a very tough spot deciding what to do. But nope, Detroit says screw it, we'll just let the clock run out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic