Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A Wild Off The Wall Idea

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 8570

A Wild Off The Wall Idea

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:26 am

Ok before I get kicked out of here on my ass hear me out:

Nancy Pelosi is unpopular nationally and several red state Democratic representatives that are newly minted have promised not to vote for her. Speculation is that Pelosi can pull out the win in a vote for the speakership.

The Speaker of The House does not need to be a member of The House or even a citizen of the country actually. The Democrats appear to need a unifying force to rally them together and satisfy the various needs of their expanded coalition. I don’t think Pelosi cuts it on those metrics.

Given the lack of a requirement for membership in the House I would float the idea of electing former President Obama who remains extremely popular with Democrats and has about a 60% approval nationally as the speaker. No Democrat (or few) would revolt at that idea and Obama can compete and go toe to toe with Trump without a problem.

I realize it’s all off the wall but if there is ever going to be any time that a non-house member would potentially take the reins it would seem to be right now... surely it would be interesting for entertainment value alone...

craig11152

Re: A Wild Off The Wall Idea

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:31 am

I never knew the speaker didn't have to be a member.
But they are second in line behind the VP for presidential succession so I think they need to be born in America which precludes Obama
:rollin

I no longer directly engage trolls

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:39 am

Please. Find someone other than Pelosi.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 am

There was a lengthy conversation about who would be qualified to handle the job of speaker in a fairly tumultuous climate. It's not an easy job and I agree Obama could handle it, but I don't see many other leaders in the house that could do as good a job as she could. Keep in mind the only reason why you don't like her is that the Republicans have demonized her.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 am
There was a lengthy conversation about who would be qualified to handle the job of speaker in a fairly tumultuous climate. It's not an easy job and I agree Obama could handle it, but I don't see many other leaders in the house that could do as good a job as she could. Keep in mind the only reason why you don't like her is that the Republicans have demonized her.
I don't like her because of all the absurd things she has said and stands for. I have a feeling the same goes for many others.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am

No, I want someone to stand up and tell the Republicans "No. Our way or the highway. Doesn't feel too good, does it?"

-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 am
I don't like her because of all the absurd things she has said and stands for. I have a feeling the same goes for many others.
Oh boy then next two years will be fun times. Watching that chicken gizzard dick McConnell squirm is going to be enjoyable. Trump has already started paying dividends, I have the press conference looping on my TV in the man cave.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:51 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 am
Bryce wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 am
Oh boy then next two years will be fun times. Watching that chicken gizzard dick McConnell squirm is going to be enjoyable. Trump has already started paying dividends, I have the press conference looping on my TV in the man cave.
Chicken gizzard dick. I didn't think I'd find a better nickname for that turd. I can't stand Mitch Bitch. It's funny because he actually does look like the turkey's neck.

-TurkeyTop

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 am

Mama Pelosi (many children and grand children) and Uptight Turtle Mitch are equally shrewd. Also usually cool under fire, and in general master politicians.

I hope she stays because one tough turd deserves another. Let the chess game begin.

By the way - all the new blue wave Democrats who take over the House majority in January need to study sage Nance and learn from her. Then - when the time comes - whoever learns best should become speaker - if and when she decides it’s time to step down.

Rush/Fox News propaganda ilk detest her because she’s powerfully effective. If she were some weak sister they’d want her to stay.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:54 am
No, I want someone to stand up and tell the Republicans "No. Our way or the highway. Doesn't feel too good, does it?"
I support this idea. The GOP and conservatives have had some two years to disavow the more incendiary actions by Trump and it just hasn't happened. I don't believe it ever will, so it's time to quit taking cupcakes and doves to a gunfight. Two can play the 'fuck you' game. Bring it on.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 pm

TC Talks wrote:
I don’t like her because she sucked in leadership the first time... she is a snob and she is an abosolutely horrible spokesperson for the Democratic agenda... plus she’s old and frail looking these days and seems to shake a bit... she is NOT the kind of person I want as the face of my party...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:35 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 pm
TC Talks wrote:
I don’t like her because she sucked in leadership the first time... she is a snob and she is an abosolutely horrible spokesperson for the Democratic agenda... plus she’s old and frail looking these days and seems to shake a bit... she is NOT the kind of person I want as the face of my party...
Suggestions? You need someone with Brass Balls, she's got them...

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:57 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:35 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Suggestions? You need someone with Brass Balls, she's got them...
I already gave you the Democrat with about the brassiest balls I can think of... she’s a wet noodle in comparison.

She is washed up... old news... how many other ways does that need to be said to make you get it?

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Fascinating idea - naming Obama “Speaker of the House”. Is it legal to have someone who is ineligible to become President in the line of succession? Does the Constitution “imply” that the Speaker would be a member? Would the Republicans immediately go to court with 12 other arguments as soon as this happened?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:56 pm

I believe it was Bill Maher who recently said "Conservatives govern without shame, and Liberals shame without governing". The essence is, folks see the PC mom in the store negotiating with her children about what's going to happen and folks see that and say "well I don't want those people in charge". That's why people are hesitant about voting Democrat. If they'd quit worrying about bullshit like Confederate statues and Halloween costumes, maybe they'd win once in a while. I don't play the PC game, but I also don't say shitty things because "I can". I think it was Craig that said, not too long ago, that he has the right to let out a stinky, nasty fart in a crowded theater, but doesn't necessarily need to exercise that right. The problem is, the Democrats can't agree on what the "right thing" is, so they get split. The right doesn't give a shit. Just be a rude asshole, complain about guns, not take responsibility for anything, blame everyone but yourself for your life (unless it's good, then the right gets credit), all the while, the Democrats "defer". Fuck that shit.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic