Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2018 Election Results Thread

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: 2018 Election Results Thread

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Sadly, it won't be Warren at least

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:23 pm

I think it should be Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!!!!!

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Jeff Flake all but said he's running in 2020.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:23 pm
I think it should be Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!!!!!
And Steve King should run against her... that would be an equivalently ideological fight...

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Please tell me, as an obvious right-leaning voter, how things will be different than 10 years ago?
A list was published of national cities with highest and lowest unemployment. Michigan took the cake with 7 or 8 on the unemployment list. The latest similar lists ive seen have not shown any Michigan cities. Lots of people leaving the state, record foreclosures (often credited to the Democrat-created "Dodd-Frank" act), home prices dropping, ultimately a single-state recession. How will Whitmer and an even bluer state government be any better than the 8 years of granholm? Also, WHY vote for the same party that screwed over our state so badly? I hope the Democrats here can explain why they still vote for Granholms party and why they think this time around will be less damaging?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Out of curiosity - how much research have you done on Whitmer's track record as a legislator?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:41 pm

It would almost certainly need to be a female. The results from last night clearly show the Republicans have lost women in the suburbs.
I'll predict that the Dems will field at least two female candidates for President in their 2020 primaries. One will be Elizabeth Warren for certain. I'll also predict that Hillary will NOT run again.

Kloubachar is certainly someone to watch.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:33 pm
Out of curiosity - how much research have you done on Whitmer's track record as a legislator?
https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-vot ... -N5t9QrKt8

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm

What I'm about to mention will likely only be of interest to Oakland County residents, but I'll mention it anyway:

33 year old Jake Cunningham pulled off an upset win over well known attorney Dan Christ to win a seat on the Sixth Circuit bench. Mr. Cunningham won by roughly 21,000 votes.

In the other Sixth Circuit race, where the only listed candidate was someone recently arrested for DUI, no results have been posted yet. Evidently, there were a TON of write-ins. I was one such voter.

In Birmingham, all three open school board seats went to women. In Bloomfield Hills, the top two vote getters for school board seats are female. In Madison Heights, all three female candidates won and all three male candidates lost.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:17 pm

A list was published of national cities with highest and lowest unemployment. Michigan took the cake with 7 or 8 on the unemployment list. The latest similar lists ive seen have not shown any Michigan cities. Lots of people leaving the state, record foreclosures (often credited to the Democrat-created "Dodd-Frank" act), home prices dropping, ultimately a single-state recession. How will Whitmer and an even bluer state government be any better than the 8 years of granholm? Also, WHY vote for the same party that screwed over our state so badly? I hope the Democrats here can explain why they still vote for Granholms party and why they think this time around will be less damaging?
OK... lets try not to make this too much like shooting fish in a barrel:
Please tell me, as an obvious right-leaning voter, how things will be different than 10 years ago?
This situation and the situation in 2002 are not related in any way. We were already in a recession in 2002 and had been for almost a year. 9/11 triggered a recession nationally and Michigan was really hard hit by it. Also at the time the U.S. had just normalized trade relations with China (in 2000) and manufacturing really began fleeing. What you have now is a lot of high education and high tech jobs that have replaced the manufacturing we had. The issue is that the transition during the Granholm years naturally went rather poorly. We are not dealing with those headwinds right now.
A list was published of national cities with highest and lowest unemployment. Michigan took the cake with 7 or 8 on the unemployment list. The latest similar lists ive seen have not shown any Michigan cities.
You are comparing boom times in 2018 with the situation in a deep recession in 2007-2009. Thats not a good comparison. We've had a recovery going for 9 years now.
Lots of people leaving the state, record foreclosures (often credited to the Democrat-created "Dodd-Frank" act), home prices dropping, ultimately a single-state recession.
Dodd-Frank passed in 2010 in RESPONSE to record foreclosures and shady lending practices from the preceeding 15 or so years. It was not a Michigan only foreclosure issue or recession issue. The housing and financial industries had been deregulated to the hilt and companies took advantage of it. This same issue was really exacerbated in Florida, California and Nevada among other places. Nothing single state about it.
How will Whitmer and an even bluer state government be any better than the 8 years of granholm?
It's a completely different group of Democrats in a completely different environment working on completely different issues. When you watch a debate from 2002 it looks... quaint and for a good reason. Outright blaming the entire situation on Democrats and seeing their return as a return to that is rather uninformed frankly...
Also, WHY vote for the same party that screwed over our state so badly?
Because the current shady state government sucks and Schutte was a smarmy guy... how could you support that?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:41 pm
It would almost certainly need to be a female. The results from last night clearly show the Republicans have lost women in the suburbs.
I'll predict that the Dems will field at least two female candidates for President in their 2020 primaries. One will be Elizabeth Warren for certain. I'll also predict that Hillary will NOT run again.

Kloubachar is certainly someone to watch.
The one most commonly batted about in the progressive trifecta of Bernie and Elizabeth Warren is Sen. Kamala Harris from California. Kloubachar seems like she may have independent and crossover appeal, conceding that Minnesota is a blue state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Good info - Y M. Thanks for sharing that.

We'll see how well she fares as Governor.

Some of her votes are troubling to me; others not so much. What really stood out to me is how much real legislation that the Senate actually votes on over the course of a full session.

See that vote on the Michigan Business Tax? 35 - 3. Some Republicans like to pin that one on the Dems. The truth of the matter is their fingerprints were all over that legislation, too.

Don't forget that the GOP still controls both legislative chambers.

I whiffed on some of my pre-election predictions from over a month ago. Dems did better in the U.S. House than I expected, albeit not by a big margin. The GOP did quite a bit better in the Senate.

Where I actually fared well from a prediction standpoint is the State House and State Senate! I think I predicted 6 in the House and 5 - 6 in the Senate. It actually turned out being 5 in the House and 6 in the Senate.

Sadly, my State Senator is now going to be Rosemary Bayer. :barf She is an accomplished, highly successful software & I.T. engineer and business leader, but some of her personal political beliefs worry me.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm
In Birmingham, all three open school board seats went to women. In Bloomfield Hills, the top two vote getters for school board seats are female. In Madison Heights, all three female candidates won and all three male candidates lost.
They also flipped to Democrat, which isn't surprising as Gary Peters was their congressman.

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Haley Stevens ran an excellent campaign in that district. The words "chief of staff of President Obama's auto rescue" was music to many voters' ears, I'm sure. Plenty of auto execs and white-collar automotive employees live in her district.

It would not at all surprise me if Stevens or Slotkin succeed Stabenow in the Senate some day.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 pm
Haley Stevens ran an excellent campaign in that district. The words "chief of staff of President Obama's auto rescue" was music to many voters' ears, I'm sure. Plenty of auto execs and white-collar automotive employees live in her district.
The thing there is that those suburban districts appear (for the moment) to have flipped away from the GOP. If this is indeed a realignment (and it looks that way) with cities and suburbs vs. rural areas, the long term implications there on top of redistricting after the census in all the states Democrats just picked up should make the Democrats more competitive going forward starting in 2022 or may even assure them close to a majority for the decade if they can grab a few more in 2020. So Stevens and Slotkin may be fixtures there moving forward. Of course here we just had proposal 2 so we will see how those districts shape up when they redraw them, which I think would happen in 2019.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic