Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 9-17-2017 at 1:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

MeTV FM and Oldies Type Formats

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Fingerboard Corners

MeTV FM and Oldies Type Formats

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:45 pm

On a recent trip to the West side of Lake Michigan, I noticed that there are quite a few "Oldies" stations (60s-70s) in the IN IL WI area. One is MeTV FM 87.7 (actually 87.75) in Chicago, which is a "Franken" FM cobbled together from a Channel 6 LPTV WRME. It just scored a 2.6 in the latest Arbitrons, amazing since many radios don't tune below 87.9, and it is way separated from most of the commercial stations. It has been doing quite well since its inception and so far doesn't seem to be burning out. Is there a market in Detroit and Eastern Michigan (there are some 60s-70s stations in Southwestern Michigan but none to speak of in the Northern Lower Peninsula) for this format? And it seems like CanCon is progressively sabotaging CKWW with increasingly obscure tracks. WCXI is pretty good, but the format is broken up by the Foreign Language programming.

BFSEsq

Re: MeTV FM and Oldies Type Formats

Post by BFSEsq » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:23 am

The Franken FM thing is really interesting and weird. Amazing that MeTV Chicago pulls a 2.6 that way. So, there are that many people that actually listen to the audio only of a TV show?!

Inundated

Re: RE: Re: MeTV FM and Oldies Type Formats

Post by Inundated » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:34 am

It's not really "the audio only of a TV show". These stations present as radio stations. If you find your way a notch below the non-commercial part of the FM band, you don't know that it's really the audio of a TV station. Indeed, they have FM style processing and an FM stereo signal. 

Disadvantages: As noted, the actual audio signal is 87.75. On a digital radio that can tune to the exact frequency, a lot of "hash" heard at 87.7(0) goes away. And some radios can't even get the station. 

Advantages: Though WRME-LP is indeed hard to find, it has one major thing in its arsenal - constant, free promotion on its TV "big brother" station, MeTV.
Last edited by Inundated on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Inundated wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:34 am
It's not really "the audio only of a TV show". These stations present as radio stations. If you find your way a notch below the non-commercial part of the FM band, you don't know that it's really the audio of a TV station. Indeed, they have FM style processing and an FM stereo signal. 
The only legal requirement is that these "Channel 6 radio stations" (as I call them) must still carry a video signal, alongside the audio, as they are technically TV stations and were licensed as such.

Back in the pre-digital days, a few TV stations that broadcasted on channel 6 would actually promote its audio signal on 87.7.

++++

Post by ++++ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 am

I have seen ads on Me-TV Milwaukee for the FM music. Here is the link. They do stream. http://metv.fm/

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 am

That's just a website. No stream. Also, it's not just TV audio. It's an actual oldies format.

++++

Post by ++++ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:39 pm

http://www.metv.com/music/ -on this one "click to listen" and they DO NOT stream.

http://www.metv.com/stories/listen-to-t ... -with-metv ,--used to stream here.

Was promoted so much for streaming. Now, they don't.

I apologize, but they did!

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:03 am

WRME-LP does not stream anywhere. The "music" stream on the MeTV website is a separate stream of similar music.

The video of WRME-LP on analog 6 is, last I heard, a Chicago traffic display. The station also airs on Comcast digital cable channel 877.

Splouge
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Post by Splouge » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:12 pm

I can get WRME on 87.9 in Michigan City, IN, although very distorted. I heard Go Away Little Girl at about 1:05 PM CST (2:05 PM EST), which according to the website, they DID play
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:15 pm

++++ wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:39 pm
http://www.metv.com/music/ -on this one "click to listen" and they DO NOT stream.

http://www.metv.com/stories/listen-to-t ... -with-metv ,--used to stream here.

Was promoted so much for streaming. Now, they don't.

I apologize, but they did!
That stream does still work, but that's not and never was the actual Me-TV FM. Me-TV FM never had a stream.

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Splouge wrote:I can get WRME on 87.9 in Michigan City, IN, although very distorted. I heard Go Away Little Girl at about 1:05 PM CST (2:05 PM EST), which according to the website, they DID play
I just don't know if the separate "MeTV Music" stream has the same playlist as WRME-LP, or just similar music.

The WRME-LP site has no stream, but does show their music playlist.

Splouge
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Post by Splouge » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:46 pm

Inundated wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:31 pm
Splouge wrote:I can get WRME on 87.9 in Michigan City, IN, although very distorted. I heard Go Away Little Girl at about 1:05 PM CST (2:05 PM EST), which according to the website, they DID play
I just don't know if the separate "MeTV Music" stream has the same playlist as WRME-LP, or just similar music.

The playlist said that it did play
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

Inundated

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: MeTV FM and Oldies Type Formats

Post by Inundated » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:50 pm

Splouge wrote:The playlist said that it did play
That's not my question...my question is, "did the separate 'MeTV Music' stream play the same song at/near the same time?"

Splouge

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: MeTV FM and Oldies Type Formats

Post by Splouge » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Inundated wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:50 pm
That's not my question...my question is, "did the separate 'MeTV Music' stream play the same song at/near the same time?"
i didn't catch that, sorry

Inundated

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: MeTV FM and Oldies Type Formats

Post by Inundated » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Splouge wrote:
Inundated wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:50 pm
i didn't catch that, sorry
I'm just posing the question for anyone else, or maybe I will A/B compare the WRME-LP playlist with the stream myself...

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:11 am

Inundated wrote:

My understanding is the Me-TV Music stream is just a similar format to Me-TV FM, not the exact playlist.

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:32 am

tvradiojunkie wrote:
Inundated wrote:

My understanding is the Me-TV Music stream is just a similar format to Me-TV FM, not the exact playlist.
That's what I was thinking. They probably use the same music, just running it in different playlists...

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Sat May 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Update: Weigel is now syndicating the MeTV FM format for nationwide use through Cleveland-based Envision.

http://www.goenvisionnetworks.com/2017/ ... ationwide/

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon May 29, 2017 10:51 pm

So, why doesn't our favorite Fred G. Sanford of the radio dial move MeTV FM to his Superstation 910? 50,000 watts babycakes!
If would have to fare better than Radio Disney. I wouldn't mind seeing if Cumulus puts it on an HD-2 in their markets, but they won't if they already have a Classic hits- so, why not run it full steam ahead?
I'm hoping that Receiva and Tune-In will add WRME or MEtv-FM links so you can listen on an internet radio

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:32 am

Inundated wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:34 am
Disadvantages: As noted, the actual audio signal is 87.75. On a digital radio that can tune to the exact frequency, a lot of "hash" heard at 87.7(0) goes away. And some radios can't even get the station. 
I wonder how much a station could get away with tweaking that audio frequency......down to say 87.74 or 87.73? How sensitive are analog tv sets to the center frequency of the audio carrier?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic