Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WHNE adding more channels

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
tvbobn

WHNE adding more channels

Post by tvbobn » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 am

I see that WHNE is installing new equipment and adding more channels. Their Facebook page says they're working on it today!

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

windsor

Re: WHNE adding more channels

Post by windsor » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:36 pm

i caught a glimpse of the changes earlier this aft. Looks like WHNE will be 12 channels instead of the current 7.It had Get TV as 14.1 but now its reverted back to its old lineup.They must be tweaking things.

Exciting stuff for us OTA viewers, thx for your efforts WHNE rf20 virtual14 :D

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Picture quality will be 1950’s with 12 subs that’s great.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:41 pm

I hope we get Decades and Luken Communication's Family Channel

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Splouge wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:41 pm
I hope we get Decades and Luken Communication's Family Channel
WHNE has talked with Decades. They basically was told that Decades would rather not be in Detroit, than be on a low power station. Even one that covers the metro with over 4 million population inside it's coverage. Go figure that one???

Luken's Family Channel is basically all same shows that are on Retro, only scheduled at different times. What shows are different that can't already be seen?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Re: Decades. That's flat out strange. Pretty sure I've seen other markets where it airs on Class A and LP digital stations. Not to mention - one of its JV partners - Weigel Broadcasting - owns such stations!! ABC 57 and CW 25 in South Bend are two such stations.

Replacing the (now blank) Movies Channel or Sonlife Broadcasting with something useful would be terrific - but I'd be even more excited if the picture resolution were improved on Light TV, Get TV (which has some great sitcoms) and Retro.

I get pretty good reception of WHNE at my house using a $10 indoor antenna.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:24 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 pm
Re: Decades. That's flat out strange. Pretty sure I've seen other markets where it airs on Class A and LP digital stations. Not to mention - one of its JV partners - Weigel Broadcasting - owns such stations!! ABC 57 and CW 25 in South Bend are two such stations.

Replacing the (now blank) Movies Channel or Sonlife Broadcasting with something useful would be terrific - but I'd be even more excited if the picture resolution were improved on Light TV, Get TV (which has some great sitcoms) and Retro.

The new equipment should improve the picture even though they will have a total of 12 channels. The new encoders process so much faster than they did just a few years ago. The new encoders at WHNE are variable bit encoders which can give on channel that has more action more bits, while a talking head on a different channel gets fewer bits. I've seen it in action at broadcast friends stations that have these units and all the channels look better than they do now!

I agree with you on Decades. They have some of their networks on LPTV stations in other places including Decades. Why they're turning down a chance to get back on the air in Detroit right now is a mystery to me! Maybe they have another deal pending with another station???

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:25 am

tvbobn wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:24 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 pm

The new equipment should improve the picture even though they will have a total of 12 channels. The new encoders process so much faster than they did just a few years ago. The new encoders at WHNE are variable bit encoders which can give on channel that has more action more bits, while a talking head on a different channel gets fewer bits. I've seen it in action at broadcast friends stations that have these units and all the channels look better than they do now!

I agree with you on Decades. They have some of their networks on LPTV stations in other places including Decades. Why they're turning down a chance to get back on the air in Detroit right now is a mystery to me! Maybe they have another deal pending with another station???
any idea when these 12 channels will be up and running???

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:45 am

Wait a minute - I thought WHNE was having trouble finding partners for new channels? Now, they're gonna go from the current six to twelve channels?

Holy smokes.

Someone struck gold.

I just hope they're not all Home Shopping channels. Of course, six good channels and six crappy channels wouldn't be a bad trade-off! None of the corporate owners in the market offer anywhere near six "good channels" at the moment. Most don't even offer four.

Happy to see the folks at WHNE are putting much more effort into delivering quality programming than the goons over at WUDL-LP. The programming on channel 19 is absolutely rotten.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:53 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:45 am
Wait a minute - I thought WHNE was having trouble finding partners for new channels? Now, they're gonna go from the current six to twelve channels?

Holy smokes.

Someone struck gold.

I just hope they're not all Home Shopping channels. Of course, six good channels and six crappy channels wouldn't be a bad trade-off! None of the corporate owners in the market offer anywhere near six "good channels" at the moment. Most don't even offer four.

Happy to see the folks at WHNE are putting much more effort into delivering quality programming than the goons over at WUDL-LP. The programming on channel 19 is absolutely rotten.
You gotta wonder MW, what channels WHNE can add that we dont have yet.

Im guessing Luken's Rev"N could be one, maybe a weather radar, Decades would have been nice, a better kids cartoons channel like Kids Click??

And agree WUDL's prog is rotten !!!!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:15 pm

They currently have 7 channels, not 6. And we don't have Stadium or TBD either. But I'd really rather have Jewelry TV than those. I would however really like to see TBN's childrens' network Smile of a Child. (Only good TBN network IMO, Veggie Tales>Joel O$teen) Of all the TBN channels that were on W47DL, I wish WUDL would have kept that one. Then their lineup wouldn't be so rotten.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Just buy a Roku for $30. And get over 1000 channels for free just pay your internet bill and your good to go.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm

14.6 is now airing Light TV
14.8 and 14.10 are simulcasting GetTV
14.9 and 14.11 are infomercials, and 14.11 has no sound
14.12 looks like it's gonna air community programming. WHPS will have some competition!

14.5, 14.7, 14.8, 14.11, and 14.12 are all 486i, I've never seen that before. How interesting

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:39 pm

RabbitEars is only listing a PSIP of WHNE for 14.8 to 14.12, with no networks listed for any of these.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:39 pm

You do all know, that with WTVS having to move from Channel 43 to Channel 20, that WHNE will have to move - in this case to Channel 3, in the winter of 2020?

Your cute little antennas won't work at channel 3. You'll need a traditional antenna, with long elements perpendicular to the boom.

Or you could make your own channel 3 antenna from two 4' long wires.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic