Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

McAllister out at 97.1

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
audiophile

Re: McAllister out at 97.1

Post by audiophile » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:53 am

MWmetalhead wrote:I love the changes...LONG OVERDUE!

Did key talent threaten to walk if these changes weren't made? Or is this simply about eliminating a salary and finding a formula that works for the remaining pieces?

Surprised they kept Sarah. What does she actually do aside from reading traffic reports? Why not move her to 99.5?

It was great hearing the Michigan game on 97.1, crappy audio chain loaded with artifacts aside. The audio (last season) sounded fine on 106.9 FM in Grand Rapids. Not sure where the issue lies.
It wasn't PPM artifacts was it?

https://www.indexcom.com/whitepaper/ppm/

Listen to the PPM audio samples - it sounds like a quacking duck.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:02 am

Doubt it. 97.1's audio normally sounds terrific.

FAN

Post by FAN » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Surprised they kept Sarah. What does she actually do aside from reading traffic reports? Why not move her to 99.5?
Seriously. She has nothing to add when anything sports related is the topic. So out of her element. I feel like they could find a much cheaper traffic person.
Did key talent threaten to walk if these changes weren't made? Or is this simply about eliminating a salary and finding a formula that works for the remaining pieces?
I could definitely see the rumors of Bill having altercation(s) with Valenti being true and a factor. And I bet Stoney was sick of being relegated to buffoon sidekick on his own show. I don't think Bill would have been pulling a paycheck that wasn't affordable for a station like 97.1 to cover if it was worth it.

I think we may have heard the last of Bill. He's pushing 60 and I can't think of a program in town he could possibly fit with.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Riggs - missed your last post earlier today. That was very interesting info you shared earlier; thank you for doing so!

Based on those results, it sounds like 97.1 had some vulnerabilities that 105.1 failed to exploit successfully - as many of us suspected.

97.1 has generally taken measures to protect its back side, even when no legitimate direct competitor existed. Basically creating a timeslot for Jamie & Wojo a number of years back is perhaps the best example. Hiring Mike Stone is arguably another example.

Doubling-down on real sports talk - even if it's half-assed sports talk at times (*cough* Anderson *cough*) - will make it more difficult for iHeart or anyone else to launch a formidable competitor to 97.1. Tigers & Wings are locked up for a good long while and it sounds like Valenti, Stone, and presumably Jamie are as well.

So, it's Fithian and Wojo, eh? Valenti will have a field day busting their balls during cross talk. :8) Fithian mails-it-in all too often during his lengthy weekend shifts; hopefully a shorter show plus working with Wojo will make him better. I actually like the pairing. Out of 97-1's existing talent pool, Fithian would've been my choice, too, for that vacancy. Wojo works best when he's paired with a straight-laced co host. Fithian fits that role well.

I will say this: I would love to hear Sean Baligian on 97.1's airwaves, either as a replacement to Scott Anderson (I can dream, can't I?) or as a weekend host.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:21 am

FAN wrote:
Seriously. She has nothing to add when anything sports related is the topic. So out of her element. I feel like they could find a much cheaper traffic person.
I could definitely see the rumors of Bill having altercation(s) with Valenti being true and a factor. And I bet Stoney was sick of being relegated to buffoon sidekick on his own show. I don't think Bill would have been pulling a paycheck that wasn't affordable for a station like 97.1 to cover if it was worth it.

I think we may have heard the last of Bill. He's pushing 60 and I can't think of a program in town he could possibly fit with.
Bill's not pushing 60, he is only 53.

helios987

Post by helios987 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:55 pm

Early 50's and having kids, what's he thinking?

FAN

Post by FAN » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:15 pm

I thought he's closer to 56 or 57.

Anyone listen this morning? I tuned in off and on from 6 - 8 while working out and getting ready for work and the show was nearly entirely sports focused. Sounded good. They did a bit of back to school stuff but it was nearly all tigers and college football. Sara's clearly lost and the annoying producer is gunning for that 3rd man spot but I'm sure they will iron stuff out.

They did mention Bill and Stoney was really laying it on my eyes did a few barrel rolls.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:49 pm

Continuous sports from 615 to 745 when I was listening. So far...so good!

Sarah's role seems to be live commercial reads and traffic reports...LOL.

I find it funny how the third guy would talk with no one mentioning him by name. Who the hell was that? Don't get me wrong ..would much rather listen to that mystery guy than Sarah. The unknown third wheel is also less irritating than Tom Mazeway, I might add.

riggs

Post by riggs » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Riggs - missed your last post earlier today. That was very interesting info you shared earlier; thank you for doing so!

Based on those results, it sounds like 97.1 had some vulnerabilities that 105.1 failed to exploit successfully - as many of us suspected.

97.1 has generally taken measures to protect its back side, even when no legitimate direct competitor existed. Basically creating a timeslot for Jamie & Wojo a number of years back is perhaps the best example. Hiring Mike Stone is arguably another example.

Doubling-down on real sports talk - even if it's half-assed sports talk at times (*cough* Anderson *cough*) - will make it more difficult for iHeart or anyone else to launch a formidable competitor to 97.1. Tigers & Wings are locked up for a good long while and it sounds like Valenti, Stone, and presumably Jamie are as well.

So, it's Fithian and Wojo, eh? Valenti will have a field day busting their balls during cross talk. :8) Fithian mails-it-in all too often during his lengthy weekend shifts; hopefully a shorter show plus working with Wojo will make him better. I actually like the pairing. Out of 97-1's existing talent pool, Fithian would've been my choice, too, for that vacancy. Wojo works best when he's paired with a straight-laced co host. Fithian fits that role well.

I will say this: I would love to hear Sean Baligian on 97.1's airwaves, either as a replacement to Scott Anderson (I can dream, can't I?) or as a weekend host.
I don't know that it would be Fithian with Wojo, but I am guessing there is no permanent 6pm host since it's only a two hour show even when there isn't a Tigers/Wings game.

And there was tension between McAllister and Valenti because Valenti bagged on his topics.

First day wasn't as sports as a thought it would be, but it was absolutely more sports and very little pop culture. I think Sara will do more than traffic and live reads at certain times, but with the Lions starting their season and the Tigers in a pennant race, it's going to a lot of sports.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

dumbboardposter

Post by dumbboardposter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:19 am

Let's give another perspective. First, bullshit on Bill and Valenti not getting along. A lot of you guys take MV's ball busting as actual animosity. I'll admit that some personalities at the station are more sensitive than others and don't care for his being a smart ass, but it's not real. Mike is extremely talented and competitive, but overall a genuinely nice guy.

CBS cutting ties with Bill reflects 97.1 decision to acknowledge reality: Dave and Chuck own the morning in Detroit, and it's time to start adjusting to that. When a true number one morning show emerges, other stations must decide their strategy. I've been in plenty of programming meetings where the PD said matter of fact, "Drew and Mike set the agenda."

They accepted the market shift toward Dave & Chuck, and made some room in the budget. End of story.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:48 am

dumbboardposter wrote:Let's give another perspective. First, bullshit on Bill and Valenti not getting along. A lot of you guys take MV's ball busting as actual animosity. I'll admit that some personalities at the station are more sensitive than others and don't care for his being a smart ass, but it's not real. Mike is extremely talented and competitive, but overall a genuinely nice guy.
I heard him butcher Dan Leach on air and there was nothing "ball busting" about it. It was true animosity. I don't know the guy, maybe you do, but I don't generally believe these on air talents create fake persona's that are nothing like who they really are. I think who you hear on the air is mostly who they are.
In any case with Valenti it seem to me his idea of ball busting fun is mostly a one way street. He can dish it out but doesn't like to take it. At least that is my impression from listening.

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 am

brianp48093 wrote:I agree 100% that Mike has a genuine dislike for Leach, but Leach is a super easy going guy
I know Mike has always given Dan shit, but it accelerated notabley after Dan lost the bet and wouldn't let Mike delete his Twitter account even though he agreed to the terms.
I have a strong feeling that Dan isn't liked much by a number of people at the station.
Since I sort of subscribe to the idea that these on air guys are mostly the people in real life they sound like on the radio and since I agree it seems Leach is easy going I don't get why he would be disliked by people at the station. Something in my theory doesn't add up.

With respect to that bet thing I was only vaguely familiar. What was the bet about and what did Valenti stand to lose if Leach won the bet?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:18 pm

brianp48093 wrote:Craig-

It was regarding the NCAA Tournament. I found this:

https://www.google.com/amp/detroit.cbsl ... audio/amp/
Thanks for the link. :blink
After listening its curious that Valenti arranged the "bet" so he had nothing on the line. If Leach won he got to be part of the Valenti and Foster fall edition of the NFL/NCAA picks on Fridays. No skin off Mikes a$$ as they already have 2-3 other guys on the picks. Also the bet was arranged so a losing Leach had to "pay up" immediately whereas a winning Leach didn't get his payoff for several months.
I don't know why Leach would agree to it. Ego perhaps? or maybe a desperate attempt to get on Mikes good side?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Sarah actually said something mildly amusing on today's show. She remarked how the entrance to 97.1's building and how some of the hallways in the building had a very unpleasant odor.

About 30 seconds later - she attributed it to Dan Leach! Said wherever he walks in the building, it smells like cigarettes and bad cologne...and the odor lingers for hours if not days.

Holy crap is he a LOSER.
In regards to Reiger, this will be a highly unpopular opinion, I honestly think he sounds decent when he's on with Mike. I used to highly dislike Rieger, but he's grown on me. If he could just change his voice!!!!
I largely agree with this. These days - I'd say Rieger is the most bearable of 97.1's part-timers...certainly as a standalone host. He can engage callers and his on-air partners in fairly in-depth discussion.

However, Rieger and Valenti together are too much to handle as a duo. Both gentlemen are very much Type-A personalities. Rieger tries to one-up, outsmart or flat out irritate Valenti on the air. Valenti then gets either defensive, whiny or checks out. Not a good pairing.

Frankly, Jeff's voice doesn't bother me anymore.

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Sarah actually said something mildly amusing on today's show. She remarked how the entrance to 97.1's building and how some of the hallways in the building had a very unpleasant odor.

About 30 seconds later - she attributed it to Dan Leach! Said wherever he walks in the building, it smells like cigarettes and bad cologne...and the odor lingers for hours if not days.

Holy crap is he a LOSER.
In regards to Reiger, this will be a highly unpopular opinion, I honestly think he sounds decent when he's on with Mike. I used to highly dislike Rieger, but he's grown on me. If he could just change his voice!!!!
I largely agree with this. These days - I'd say Rieger is the most bearable of 97.1's part-timers...certainly as a standalone host. He can engage callers and his on-air partners in fairly in-depth discussion.

However, Rieger and Valenti together are too much to handle as a duo. Both gentlemen are very much Type-A personalities. Rieger tries to one-up, outsmart or flat out irritate Valenti on the air. Valenti then gets either defensive, whiny or checks out. Not a good pairing.

Frankly, Jeff's voice doesn't bother me anymore.
This is exactly why I enjoy Rieger when he's paired with Valenti. Mike Valenti steamrolls everyone and everything in his path, and when someone actually challenges him, or just outright troll him the way he does his audience, he backs off.

He dishes it out, but can't take it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic