Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

McAllister out at 97.1

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
craig11152

Re: McAllister out at 97.1

Post by craig11152 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Robespierre wrote:Btw...Dan Leach is the worst Broadcaster I've ever heard.He's proof, if the death of Radio.
I realize everybody has their own personal preferences and tastes. I realize Dan Leach ain't the greatest guy to ever talk in to a microphone. But I still don't get the level of vitriol toward the guy that many guys in here seem to have. To me he is fairly easy going, doesn't seem to have the overly large ego many radio people seem to have. He doesn't come across as angry all the time. I think he has a reasonable sports knowledge. I'm not sure any of those guys are as smart as they come across when it comes to spouting statistics to make a point....they are reading crap off a computer screen pulled up for them by some behind the scene lackey.

I no longer directly engage trolls

joe60

Post by joe60 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Stoney has been crap since his WDFN days and does not belong on morning radio. Maybe he will keep his clothes on now

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:33 pm

joe60 wrote:Stoney has been crap since his WDFN days and does not belong on morning radio. Maybe he will keep his clothes on now
Exactly. Jamie will talk about Academy Award winners and his sports opinions are basically zero. Jamie is the ultimate fence rider.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:38 pm

Robespierre wrote:The Reason they didn't renew Mc'Allister's deal is because CBS is selling the Radio Division.They are cutting everywhere.You will see more of them.Eventually,the Station will be Valenti and the low paid talent.Btw...Dan Leach is the worst Broadcaster I've ever heard.He's proof, if the death of Radio.
Just think...we'd get stuck with Kyle Bogey, who's young and probably lower paid than the vets. His arrogance level exceeds Bill's.

dm00n

Post by dm00n » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:59 pm

What happens to the Jaime and Wojo slot?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:03 pm

dm00n wrote:What happens to the Jaime and Wojo slot?
I believe short term Wojo will go solo. The show runs short when the Tigers have home games. Sometimes away games too.

I no longer directly engage trolls

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:55 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Btw...Dan Leach is the worst Broadcaster I've ever heard.He's proof, if the death of Radio.
I realize everybody has their own personal preferences and tastes. I realize Dan Leach ain't the greatest guy to ever talk in to a microphone. But I still don't get the level of vitriol toward the guy that many guys in here seem to have. To me he is fairly easy going, doesn't seem to have the overly large ego many radio people seem to have. He doesn't come across as angry all the time. I think he has a reasonable sports knowledge. I'm not sure any of those guys are as smart as they come across when it comes to spouting statistics to make a point....they are reading crap off a computer screen pulled up for them by some behind the scene lackey.
While I think Leach is "so bad, that it's good" radio generally, I agree. The level of anger this board has for him is really something. Especially given that he's such a positive dude.

Maybe this board likes sports hosts in the town that tell them how stupid we all are. Or are as angry as they are.

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:38 pm

Count me in as a former Leach hater who has grown to like to him. Not only is he positive but he allows all the other hosts to make fun of his voice or him living in a motel and takes it in stride.

Ivan1335

Post by Ivan1335 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:51 am

I went to EMU with Leach. Nice guy, but not a good radio host. If I have to hear "Who is the next Detroit sports team to win a title?" topic again I'm going to chew broken glass.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:23 am

Leach is the worst host on the station. How many packs does he smoke daily? Why is he always yelling into the mic? Comes across as a total loser. On top of all the above, he is a cornbread eating, moronic Lions fan.

I like hosts who deal in FACTS, something Leach seems incapable of doing when forming opinions or making predictions.

What is his prior on air experience? Does he have ANY? Seems completely unqualified for an on air gig in a Top 15 market.

If you're a total homer with the intellect of a 12 year old, Leach might be appealing. Also, I've heard him be a dick on air to other people at the station, especially those who cite FACTS in forming opinions. Leach wanted the Tigers to be buyers at 2015's trade deadline. I guess he doesn't understand statistics, the laws of probability or free agency.

riggs

Post by riggs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:27 am

wtfdetroit wrote:
joe60 wrote:Stoney has been crap since his WDFN days and does not belong on morning radio. Maybe he will keep his clothes on now
Exactly. Jamie will talk about Academy Award winners and his sports opinions are basically zero. Jamie is the ultimate fence rider.

You don't know what you are talking about. Jamie talks sports on his show all the time. When he guests on the morning show he talks about the pop culture stuff, which is what management wanted the morning show to do. You think Stoney's been crap, it's because he never was in a comfort zone talking about pop culutre bullshit. This was not his call, it was management's because they wanted to try to compete with non-sports stations in the morning.

The new morning show that starts Tuesday will sound totally different. It's going to be a sports talk morning show. If a super big non-sports event happens they will talk about that because it's bigger, but you are not going to hear pop culture crap anymore unless it has a direct tie to sports. The show is not going to try to be funny - if funny remarks come out of it - it will be in the natural course of conversation, there won't be any "bits" on the new show. They are going to have a lot of interviews (probably with nobody from the Lions because the Lions are whiny babies more concerned with publicity than winning). They will still do some contests too. But no more "what's your favorite ice cream" or "where is your favorite Michigan vacation spot". They might ask people what their favorite golf course in Michigan is, but golf is a sport.

The reason they are launching it after Labor Day is because it is just about the best time with a natural break in people's routines being over and the pennant races in baseball are in full swing, college football has had a game to talk about, the NFL is starting this week and hockey and basketball are around the corner. there is no better time to launch a sports-heavy show than right now. It would have been hard to do a month ago because things are so slow in August.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

riggs

Post by riggs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:27 am

wtfdetroit wrote:

You don't know what you are talking about. Jamie talks sports on his show all the time. When he guests on the morning show he talks about the pop culture stuff, which is what management wanted the morning show to do. You think Stoney's been crap, it's because he never was in a comfort zone talking about pop culutre bullshit. This was not his call, it was management's because they wanted to try to compete with non-sports stations in the morning.

The new morning show that starts Tuesday will sound totally different. It's going to be a sports talk morning show. If a super big non-sports event happens they will talk about that because it's bigger, but you are not going to hear pop culture crap anymore unless it has a direct tie to sports. The show is not going to try to be funny - if funny remarks come out of it - it will be in the natural course of conversation, there won't be any "bits" on the new show. They are going to have a lot of interviews (probably with nobody from the Lions because the Lions are whiny babies more concerned with publicity than winning). They will still do some contests too. But no more "what's your favorite ice cream" or "where is your favorite Michigan vacation spot". They might ask people what their favorite golf course in Michigan is, but golf is a sport.

The reason they are launching it after Labor Day is because it is just about the best time with a natural break in people's routines being over and the pennant races in baseball are in full swing, college football has had a game to talk about, the NFL is starting this week and hockey and basketball are around the corner. there is no better time to launch a sports-heavy show than right now. It would have been hard to do a month ago because things are so slow in August.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:59 am

I love the changes...LONG OVERDUE!

Did key talent threaten to walk if these changes weren't made? Or is this simply about eliminating a salary and finding a formula that works for the remaining pieces?

Surprised they kept Sarah. What does she actually do aside from reading traffic reports? Why not move her to 99.5?

It was great hearing the Michigan game on 97.1, crappy audio chain loaded with artifacts aside. The audio (last season) sounded fine on 106.9 FM in Grand Rapids. Not sure where the issue lies.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:31 am

It wasn't PPM artifacts was it?
Last edited by audiophile on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

riggs

Post by riggs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:48 am

MWmetalhead wrote:I love the changes...LONG OVERDUE!

Did key talent threaten to walk if these changes weren't made? Or is this simply about eliminating a salary and finding a formula that works for the remaining pieces?

Surprised they kept Sarah. What does she actually do aside from reading traffic reports? Why not move her to 99.5?

It was great hearing the Michigan game on 97.1, crappy audio chain loaded with artifacts aside. The audio (last season) sounded fine on 106.9 FM in Grand Rapids. Not sure where the issue lies.

They did research and it wasn't coming back the way they wanted with P1 listners. I am guessing that Karsch & Anderson might sound quite a bit more sports-oriented than it has been for awhile. They won't do anything with Valenti & Foster and the night show will just be Wojo on for 45 minutes on nights where there are Tigers and Wings games and Wojo & Fithian and nights there are no games.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic