Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Now, this is weird! (involves 91.3 WGTE)

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Now, this is weird! (involves 91.3 WGTE)

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:27 pm

I cannot recall ever making a financial contribution to any public broadcasting radio or TV station. Somehow, I wound up on FM 91 WGTE's mailing list, even though I live 75 miles or so from Toledo (in the Detroit media market).

They are trying to sell "3,999" tickets for a so-called charity cash raffle at $50 a pop. Roughly one-half of the proceeds will go to a $100,000 cash prize winner.

I just found it strange that they'd be sending mailers to my neighborhood.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Re: Now, this is weird! (involves 91.3 WGTE)

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:48 pm

WGTE gets out better than you think. Hell, it comes in pretty reliably here!
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:04 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:27 pm
I cannot recall ever making a financial contribution to any public broadcasting radio or TV station. Somehow, I wound up on FM 91 WGTE's mailing list, even though I live 75 miles or so from Toledo (in the Detroit media market).

They are trying to sell "3,999" tickets for a so-called charity cash raffle at $50 a pop. Roughly one-half of the proceeds will go to a $100,000 cash prize winner.

I just found it strange that they'd be sending mailers to my neighborhood.
They know you're a huqe influencer, having a message board with huqe impact on listeners.

They've got your number, literally.

Another possibility is that they got the mailing list for other NCE-FM contributors. C'mon, we all know you give huqe contributions to Smile FM, K-Love, Relevant Radio, and Family Life Radio.:rollin
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:27 pm

WGTE should be licensed to Sylvania, OH. Old-timers will understand this reference.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:40 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:48 pm
WGTE gets out better than you think. Hell, it comes in pretty reliably here!
If you look at the L-R Map, zoom in and you'll see the hot spot near Brighton. I heard it comes in really well in "The Arcade" pinball amusement hall in Brighton. :rollin

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php ... beb7&map=Y

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:53 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:27 pm
WGTE should be licensed to Sylvania, OH. Old-timers will understand this reference.

Did GTE (the phone company) and Sylvania (the electronics corporation) used to be related to one another?

Sylvania made some darn good TVs in the 80s.

91.3 does seem to get out better than the other Toledo FMs. I can get a readable signal in the car a few miles west of here. I noticed their antenna height is much higher than the other Toledo market FMs.

I cannot help but wonder if they are trying to take advantage of Michigan Radio's goofy rebrand.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:37 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:53 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Did GTE (the phone company) and Sylvania (the electronics corporation) used to be related to one another?

Yes. They were the first to use "Perma Tint", which made flesh tones look natural without constant adjustment of the Color and Tint controls. New circuit advancements made it unnecessary by the late 1970s or so. That's another old timer adjustment reference. Some DJs were "Gain Riders", many viewers were then "Tint Riders", constantly adjusting the Tint control when changing channels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvania_ ... c_Products

-Author Unknown

edj

Post by edj » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:29 am

I received a mailer from channel 56 once asking for money, despite never donating to them. Haven’t received anything from WGTE despite living much closer to Toledo than MW.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:10 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

[...]
IIRC WGTE was callsign-speak for "Greater Toledo Educational" not General Telephone and Electronics.

Long before the 80s, Sylvania black & white TVs had a feature called "Halo Light," a soft white light in the bezel surrounding the picture tube, supposedly to relieve eye fatigue.
The brand is still used for home and automotive lighting products, and some consumer electronics.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:30 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:10 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

[...]
IIRC WGTE was callsign-speak for "Greater Toledo Educational" not General Telephone and Electronics.

Long before the 80s, Sylvania black & white TVs had a feature called "Halo Light," a soft white light in the bezel surrounding the picture tube, supposedly to relieve eye fatigue.
The brand is still used for home and automotive lighting products, and some consumer electronics.
It was just a joke.

History Card.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/ ... r_id=70413

Tower Payload. Collocated with WGTE-TV. That explains the high HAAT.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&qmenu= ... n=-83.4319

-Author Unknown

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:44 pm

WGTE makes it to the Lansing area frequently during tropo, as does 103.7 WCKY. Not too hard since the closest nearby stations on the frequency are WCSG and flea-powered WOES.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:06 pm

edj wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:29 am
I received a mailer from channel 56 once asking for money, despite never donating to them. Haven’t received anything from WGTE despite living much closer to Toledo than MW.
Before my mom died, she accidentally pledged to WTVS while in a hospital in Michigan. We were on Detroit PTV's list for a couple years, but we couldn't watch that on cable in Toledo.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:36 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
SolarMax wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

[...]
Curiously, Sylvania -- the city -- was once served by General Telephone for its telephone service (since switched to Frontier).

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:34 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:36 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
SolarMax wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

[...]
Curiously, Sylvania -- the city -- was once served by General Telephone for its telephone service (since switched to Frontier).
My grandma had GTE in her home in Sylvania Twp. 40 years ago.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic