Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stream 419 app

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
radioandtventhusiast

Stream 419 app

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:48 pm

There's a new app that launched a few weeks ago called Stream 419. It's a partnership with all the different internet radio station owners. There's Classic Hits 419, with a large variety of hits from the '60s, '70s, and '80s, Towpath Radio, which is mostly true oldies, River Rat Country, which plays classic and outlaw country, Sweet 419, which plays '90s and 2000's hits, a Yacht rock station, and an alternative station. You'll hear jocks like Jeff Lamb, Cliff Smithers, and Bill Michaels on there. It's available for Apple, Android, and Fire TV devices. It's like an FM dial, over the internet instead.

Deleted User 16144

Re: Stream 419 app

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:29 pm

Nice little app. The giant problem is way too many commercials. I tried the Oldies Channel and immediately got hit with 10 commercials in a row. I’m on a data plan and actually prefer something commercial free. Dash Radio, San Francisco 70’s Hits, Smooth 70’s, The Big 80’s Station, Classic Rock 109, Classic Hits 109 and The HD Radio Network are all commercial free and available on the MyTuner Radio app along with many other 3rd party radio apps. There are many other commercial free stations, you just have to hunt for them. I’m just curious about one thing the Oldies station logo has Grand Rapids on it, I thought the stations were all from the 419, Toledo area. At any rate good luck to the people involved in this 419 radio project.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:02 am

Caliber wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:29 pm
Nice little app. The giant problem is way too many commercials. I tried the Oldies Channel and immediately got hit with 10 commercials in a row. I’m on a data plan and actually prefer something commercial free.
And now you see why radio in general is in trouble. Do you think that we, as broadcasters, don't deserve to make a living? WE have to pay to play every song, to connect to the Internet, for our equipment... You are greedy and don't deserve what we broadcasters provide.

OK, I feel better now. Let's address the other question here.
Caliber wrote:
I’m just curious about one thing the Oldies station logo has Grand Rapids on it, I thought the stations were all from the 419, Toledo area.
It's Grand Rapids OHIO, just outside of Toledo. And it's a great little local station, set up to serve that community. Josh, well done.
Caliber wrote:
At any rate good luck to the people involved in this 419 radio project.
We don't need luck, we need freeloaders like you to understand that there is NO such thing as a free lunch or commercial free radio.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:43 am

Mark Elliott wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:02 am
Caliber wrote:
Nice little app. The giant problem is way too many commercials. I tried the Oldies Channel and immediately got hit with 10 commercials in a row. I’m on a data plan and actually prefer something commercial free.
And now you see why radio in general is in trouble. Do you think that we, as broadcasters, don't deserve to make a living? WE have to pay to play every song, to connect to the Internet, for our equipment... You are greedy and don't deserve what we broadcasters provide.

OK, I feel better now. Let's address the other question here.
Caliber wrote:
I’m just curious about one thing the Oldies station logo has Grand Rapids on it, I thought the stations were all from the 419, Toledo area.
It's Grand Rapids OHIO, just outside of Toledo. And it's a great little local station, set up to serve that community. Josh, well done.
Caliber wrote:
At any rate good luck to the people involved in this 419 radio project.
We don't need luck, we need freeloaders like you to understand that there is NO such thing as a free lunch or commercial free radio.
No one said that you couldn’t make a living. Now, you’re correct in saying we as listeners don’t deserve what broadcasters provide, like the 100 song playlist that repeat over and over again and 20 or more minutes of commercials an hour and the poor sound quality that is being transmitted from these stations, no one deserves that. As far as being a “freeloader” as long as I remember, radio was always free. If it weren’t for the listeners, radio would have died decades ago. The Broadcast Industry not us listeners have destroyed the industry by the ridiculously tight playlist and the commercials the go for more than 20 minutes an hour. How is this greed from the listeners? It’s clearly greed from the big corporations that own these stations. I fully understand how the radio business operates. I’ve been familiar with the business for years. Hopefully, you’ll have better days in the future sorry to get you all pissed off, but it’s time for this freeloader to listen to some commercial free internet radio for free.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:04 am

I have no problem with inoffensively placed commercials. Creative and interesting programming created by humans deserve a revenue stream. Apps that play multiple intrusive ads the moment I start playing the station frustrate me to no end, especially when the ads are placed over content that is in progress (such as a commercial playing over a song). Sometimes, by the time the ads are over, the song I tuned in to hear is over. I still "channel surf" even with streaming stations, and I guarantee you I will not be listening to 30 seconds or a minute of ads every time I change the station just to hear Takin' Care of Business or Don't Stop Believin' before repeating the process. When I find a station that does that, they're immediately off my Favorites list, never to be heard from again. That's a big nope.

I used to use TuneIn a lot, but between the station's ads and TuneIn's ads and the full-screen ads over top of it all, it was too much. TuneIn even started INTERRUPTING streams to play ads. I immediately deleted TuneIn.

I pay for uninterrupted, creative content now.

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:33 am

My many thanks to you for discussing the app we just launched! It's a work in progress but I'm just excited we can offer listeners a collection of stations that are locally programmed, locally owned, and offer a variety of content. The purpose of the app is to create a sort of alliance with like minded programmers, thankfully 99% of the feedback has been positive. Like I said, the app itself is a work in progress and I'm sure each programmer would tell you their stations are a work in progress.

Please keep in mind none of these stations, or this app, are programmed by a company of people. Each station is programmed as a side hustle by each programmer. I literally run Towpath Radio, Sweet 419, and River Rat Country out of my barn, and take care of most of the business between spending time with family and working a 40+ hour per week job. So on to the comment about commercials, much of this might sound similar to how I responded to the rather rude e-mail "Caliber" sent me after I kindly responded to his tech question:
Doesn't matter your app has way too many commercials. I have uninstalled the app this morning. I have installed Dash radio better selection and zero commercials.
I understand, in a perfect world you'd get all the music you can handle with literally no interruption. I WISH we could do that, but 99% of my clients on River Rat and Towpath are local. They are small local shop owners who have been offered 15 to 30 second commercials for a small donation that helps me pay the $100-$150 x 3 for each of my stations. Yes, I'm near $300 a month in JUST streaming and licensing costs, that doesn't include other operational costs. I will admit, Towpath has been a bit heavy on commercials most of this month, thanks to the wonderful support I've received from businesses in and around Grand Rapids, Ohio (a small town south of Toledo). Our network commercials, which offer a $35 discount on streaming will end this week as I've had new local sponsors step up to cover the discount. Live 365 offers a deal where playing 4 minutes of their commercials (an hour) gives a broadcaster a discount of $35 a month. That's enough to cover two of my station's apps. Even with the network ads, we're at only 6 to 7 minutes of commercial an hour. Compare that to any of the Cumulus or iHeart stations in town. I don't often come back at criticism, but after re-reading your response when you asked some tech questions and then your rude response about deleting the app after I took time to respond to you, that was unnecessary. There are kinder ways to respond or don't respond at all. There is a ton of hard work that goes into all of these stations from not only me but our volunteer DJs who do what they love and do it well. From Cliff and London who do it EVERY DAY to Bill and Ben who do a few days a week. They don't get paid, I don't get paid (everything goes back to the station), we do it for the love of radio, and to give listeners a fun experience. A big shout out to Mark for being one of the guys who brought his amazing content to Towpath when we launched and all the current DJs to do this to stay sharp with, what I call, radio therapy.

As far as the stations go we're trying to cover each format with Stream 419. So far we've got Classic Hits from Jeff Lamb, Yacht Rock (soft rock) from a couple in southern Michigan, 90s Alternative from Josh Strickland (technically mid Michigan, but works well with this app), and my 3 stations covering true oldies, classic/outlaw country, and '90s and 2k pop. There's also a section of the app that holds all of London Mitchell's "Staying in Contact" podcasts. Currently, I'm working to find a good hip hop and R&B station and a rock station. The idea is we start around Toledo and work our way out until we find something good that isn't too far away. I was considering adding the Juice but they don't seem to be streaming.

Anyway, thanks again for bringing the app up in the forum. Hopefully Carplay will be added by mid December, still working with the app company to get that updated. Android Auto is up and going and works very well for Android users.

*Edited for context*

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:58 am

Mark Elliott wrote:
Here a reality that I have observed lately Mark... The people left listening to Ota or streaming music with commercials are likely either older and locked into their habits or younger people who can't afford a $10 monthly fee for a commercial free service. Neither are particularly attractive to many advertisers.

Additionally, with an app like Radio Garden, I can find commercial free options from around the globe. My point, based on your answer above, it doesn't seem like you really deserve any listeners, and your advertisers are getting questionable return for their investment.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:15 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:58 am
Mark Elliott wrote:
Here a reality that I have observed lately Mark... The people left listening to Ota or streaming music with commercials are likely either older and locked into their habits or younger people who can't afford a $10 monthly fee for a commercial free service. Neither are particularly attractive to many advertisers.

Additionally, with an app like Radio Garden, I can find commercial free options from around the globe. My point, based on your answer above, it doesn't seem like you really deserve any listeners, and your advertisers are getting questionable return for their investment.
I totally agree. He's blaming the current state of radio on "Freeloaders" when in reality, It’s the people who are running the radio business that has caused radio to be in the state that it’s in. Meanwhile, there are tons of options for commercial free, subscription free internet radio stations out there, as I had mentioned earlier. Mark's attitude is terrible for a guy who's in the radio biz. From what I can see this sounds more like an after school project by a bunch of guys who want to play radio. We’ll see where this is at in a few years from now. Most internet radio stations are one man shows and don’t last too long due to expenses. As far as advertisers go, I agree with you that they may not get a good return on their investment. I certainly would not advertise my business from a broadcast in a barn. The reason my attitude is the way it is because Mark Elliott came off sounding like I’m the reason that radio is in the state that it is. It’s too bad that this guy is in the business, radio doesn’t need people like Mark Elliott and he doesn’t deserve to be in the business because he is the reason radio is where it’s at today.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:42 am

burytheneedle wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:33 am
My many thanks to you for discussing the app we just launched! It's a work in progress but I'm just excited we can offer listeners a collection of stations that are locally programmed, locally owned, and offer a variety of content. The purpose of the app is to create a sort of alliance with like minded programmers, thankfully 99% of the feedback has been positive. Like I said, the app itself is a work in progress and I'm sure each programmer would tell you their stations are a work in progress.

Please keep in mind none of these stations, or this app, are programmed by a company of people. Each station is programmed as a side hustle by each programmer. I literally run Towpath Radio, Sweet 419, and River Rat Country out of my barn, and take care of most of the business between spending time with family and working a 40+ hour per week job. So on to the comment about commercials, much of this might sound similar to how I responded to the rather rude e-mail "Caliber" sent me after I kindly responded to his tech question:
Doesn't matter your app has way too many commercials. I have uninstalled the app this morning. I have installed Dash radio better selection and zero commercials.
I understand, in a perfect world you'd get all the music you can handle with literally no interruption. I WISH we could do that, but 99% of my clients on River Rat and Towpath are local. They are small local shop owners who have been offered 15 to 30 second commercials for a small donation that helps me pay the $100-$150 x 3 for each of my stations. Yes, I'm near $300 a month in JUST streaming and licensing costs, that doesn't include other operational costs. I will admit, Towpath has been a bit heavy on commercials most of this month, thanks to the wonderful support I've received from businesses in and around Grand Rapids, Ohio (a small town south of Toledo). Our network commercials, which offer a $35 discount on streaming will end this week as I've had new local sponsors step up to cover the discount. Live 365 offers a deal where playing 4 minutes of their commercials (an hour) gives a broadcaster a discount of $35 a month. That's enough to cover two of my station's apps. Even with the network ads, we're at only 6 to 7 minutes of commercial an hour. Compare that to any of the Cumulus or iHeart stations in town. I don't often come back at criticism, but after re-reading your response when you asked some tech questions and then your rude response about deleting the app after I took time to respond to you, that was unnecessary. There are kinder ways to respond or don't respond at all. There is a ton of hard work that goes into all of these stations from not only me but our volunteer DJs who do what they love and do it well. From Cliff and London who do it EVERY DAY to Bill and Ben who do a few days a week. They don't get paid, I don't get paid (everything goes back to the station), we do it for the love of radio, and to give listeners a fun experience. A big shout out to Mark for being one of the guys who brought his amazing content to Towpath when we launched and all the current DJs to do this to stay sharp with, what I call, radio therapy.

As far as the stations go we're trying to cover each format with Stream 419. So far we've got Classic Hits from Jeff Lamb, Yacht Rock (soft rock) from a couple in southern Michigan, 90s Alternative from Josh Strickland (technically mid Michigan, but works well with this app), and my 3 stations covering true oldies, classic/outlaw country, and '90s and 2k pop. There's also a section of the app that holds all of London Mitchell's "Staying in Contact" podcasts. Currently, I'm working to find a good hip hop and R&B station and a rock station. The idea is we start around Toledo and work our way out until we find something good that isn't too far away. I was considering adding the Juice but they don't seem to be streaming.

Anyway, thanks again for bringing the app up in the forum. Hopefully Carplay will be added by mid December, still working with the app company to get that updated. Android Auto is up and going and works very well for Android users.

*Edited for context*
By posting my quote, you have just given your competition free advertising. I’m sure Dash Radio appreciates that. It’s like a testimonial.

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:31 am

By posting my quote, you have just given your competition free advertising. I’m sure Dash Radio appreciates that. It’s like a testimonial.
But see, this shows me you missed the point entirely. This isn't about competition, it's not about making money, it's not about winning or losing. It's about giving listeners another localized option. I could give a hoot if no one ever downloaded this app. At the end of the day listeners from around this area will either enjoy it or dislike it. If listeners want uninterrupted music, then yes I'm sure Dash, Spotify, etc are going to be a better option than Stream 419. If I want a selection of my favorite stations from around the country I'll use Online Radio Box. This is for those who enjoy local radio and want to hear some of their favorite familiar voices in one place. This is also about some of the local internet radio owners coming together and giving an option the FMs in Toledo. We're never going to "beat" them or take on a fraction of their audience but we have some very grateful listeners who are enjoying hearing some voices they haven't heard in quite some time.
I totally agree. He's blaming the current state of radio on "Freeloaders" when in reality, It’s the people who are running the radio business that has caused radio to be in the state that it’s in. Meanwhile, there are tons of options for commercial free, subscription free internet radio stations out there, as I had mentioned earlier. Mark's attitude is terrible for a guy who's in the radio biz. From what I can see this sounds more like an after school project by a bunch of guys who want to play radio. We’ll see where this is at in a few years from now. Most internet radio stations are one man shows and don’t last too long due to expenses. As far as advertisers go, I agree with you that they may not get a good return on their investment. I certainly would not advertise my business from a broadcast in a barn. The reason my attitude is the way it is because Mark Elliott came off sounding like I’m the reason that radio is in the state that it is. It’s too bad that this guy is in the business, radio doesn’t need people like Mark Elliott and he doesn’t deserve to be in the business because he is the reason radio is where it’s at today.
LOL, a bunch of guys playing radio? Sure, I'll give you that but understand I've got just over 15 years in, I left programming in West Michigan a few years back because I was tired of moving. Other other guys are market vets. Towpath is going into its 4th year. Also, who cares if the studio is in a high rise or barn? Hell, I spent the 1st year of my career doing fill ins inside a beat down condemned building on Pickle Road, worked mornings in a old converted house in Petoskey, and hosted afternoons in a larger downtown building in GR (Michigan). I can tell you this, advertisers do not care what the building looks like as long as the broadcast sounds good and people are listening. Also, don't blame Mark for your attitude, it was there in our initial communication through e-mail. You are right, you're not the reason radio is having a rough go. Radio is in the state that it is for multiple reasons but people like you who discourage those who are working to give listeners better options don't help matters many.

*Updated to respond to additional post*

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:09 pm

It's about giving listeners another localized option.
Localized? What is that?
Are you playing local bands?

Mark has been noodling with streaming for a long time, it's a neat hobby, and I'm glad you understand what this likely is... But it's not a significant local option.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:56 pm

It's an after school project by a bunch of radio retirees who love to play radio. That's okay, its a cool hobby but costly. There's no money to be made, the royalty fees and operational costs will actually go into negative territory. Again, I do wish them the best of luck and have fun. Enjoy it while you have it.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:15 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:58 am
Mark Elliott wrote:

No I don't deserve anything... I earn every listener and advertiser I get.. and right now, we are doing quite well.

And I'm not a spokesperson for the entire radio industry, I'm just one guy working hard to entertain listeners and sell advertiser's products.
Just like my friends in the news business, we are a little tired of people expecting us to do it for free. Perhaps I was a little harsh in my diatribe, and maybe went a bit too far. Unfortunately, your reality as described above doesn't meet my reality - I talk to listeners daily and work with advertisers who's checks continue to clear - are we living in the same world?
Last edited by Mark Elliott on Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:25 pm

Caliber wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:15 am

It’s too bad that this guy is in the business, radio doesn’t need people like Mark Elliott and he doesn’t deserve to be in the business because he is the reason radio is where it’s at today.
And you got all that from one post on a internet billboard where I'm the only one with balls enough to use my real name?

Radio is in bad shape, no question. Many of the larger companies are bleeding the business dry. But as I've said above, I'm not the spokesperson for the industry or one who has any control. I've spent years working to earn listener's attention and sell advertiser's products. When that stops working for me, I'll quit. But I won't give it away for free.

You have 10,000 choices for music, news, talk and entertainment.. a lot more than were there when I started. It's made competition very difficult and sometimes frustrating.. and if my rant hurt your feelings, I am sorry. News isn't free... music isn't free... entertainment isn't free. The buskers on the street corner need you to throw some money in their hat. The streaming channels need your credit card. The current state of OTA radio requires you to listen to commercials and perhaps patronize some sponsors when the need arises. And the good news for you.. you don't have to if you choose. But if you continue to demand something for free, without any payment whatsoever, it will slowly cease to exist. Have a great day.. and a wonderful holiday season.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:27 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:09 pm
It's about giving listeners another localized option.
Localized? What is that?
Are you playing local bands?
Towpath Radio is one of the few options for local Grand Rapids Ohio merchants and businesses to market directly to local customers. And it must be working.. those advertisers renew on a regular basis. Local is much more than local bands.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic