Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Texas mass shooting

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Texas mass shooting

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:44 am

So, let me get this straight:
- If you are a mentally slow African American attempting to sell loose cigarillos on a street corner (OMG - how horrible!), the police will choke you to death without any remorse whatsoever.
- If you are a minority with a busted tail light and make any body movement during a traffic stop, there's a chance the cop at the scene will shoot you.
- If you just killed 20 people at a busy shopping center, injured several dozen more, and are heavily armed, the police will allow you to be taken into custody "without incident."

Sounds about right.

Those of you who oppose enhanced universal background checks both before all gun purchases and periodically after gun purchases take place, in my opinion, are 100% complicit with the mass shooting of innocent citizens.

All prospective gun buyers and existing gun owners should be subject to periodic mental health screenings.

Screening of social media activity needs to be enhanced.

I'm going to call the El Paso, TX shooter what he truly is:
- 1. He's a total piece of shit.
- 2. He's a DOMESTIC TERRORIST.

I think person-to-person sale of all firearms needs to be made illegal (purchases must be through a licensed retailer or via registered gun shows).

I also think certain types of new firearms need to be very heavily taxed.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Texas mass shooting

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:03 am

And guess what style weapon was used in Dayton?

An AR-15.

BTW, the mental health screenings I proposed in my prior post should apply to ALL adult & teenage members of gun owning households, not just the direct gun purchaser.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:40 am

When it comes to guns The United States of America needs to go the way of all other countries where English is the first language. And even dome of the other industrialized nations where other languages are first.

Same with health care for all.

Frequent massive fatal shootings and millions without health care are two unique American problems that we can’t seem to solve - even though we stand alone in this regard among the other industrialized nations of the world.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:45 am

That class of rifle needs to be banned. TSA confiscated 2 rocket launchers this week from the suitcases of recent veterans. If we can ban rocket launchers, we can ban assault class guns as well. The Second Amendment wasn't drawn that specifically, that is policy.

Both shooters were in body armor ready for a fight. This wasn't some argument between two people.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:59 am

TC, you left out the launchers were spent, not capable of being used as weapons. Brought home as mementos by armed forces members and the TSA has said they will ship them to the guys who brought them home. I agree with MW that we need to enhance background checks and like the idea of continuing them after the purchase as people change, their situation changes and their mental health can change. A member of my staff plays in a band that was playing near the Dayton shooting.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 am

Just my 2 cents - the time immediately after mass shootings is NOT the time to have a rational debate about gun control. Emotions are running too high to have such a debate. Calling anyone not guilty of a mass shooting "complicit" because of his/her belief on policy is in the same camp of saying "you have blood on your hands" and is exactly the kind of rhetoric I'm talking about here.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:40 am

Just my 2 cents - the time immediately after mass shootings is NOT the time to have a rational debate about gun control. Emotions are running too high to have such a debate. Calling anyone not guilty of a mass shooting "complicit" because of his/her belief on policy is in the same camp of saying "you have blood on your hands" and is exactly the kind of rhetoric I'm talking about here
So when IS the time to do something policy wise? Six months? Twelve months? Two years? Ten years?

Seems like NOTHING has been done despite numerous such shootings occurring within the last year alone.

Delay = higher risk for more & more of these shootings to occur!!

The lack of any sense of urgency contributes to this horrible problem. IMO, now is the PERFECT time to have such a debate. I will acknowledge "complicit" was probably an overly harsh term to use, but the "do nothing" types are certainly making it easier for such horrific incidents to keep occurring.

The gun lobby loves it when people use rhetoric such as yours, bmw, because eventually people forget about the mass shooting, focus their attention on other things, and absolutely nothing gets done.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:46 am

MW, first the laws on the books need to be enforced. new laws won't be enforced any better. Second, one word, Chicago. Some of the toughest laws on the books and all you have to do is read the news every Monday to see how deadly the last weekend was. Knee jerk reactions will solve nothing. TAKE AWAY ALL THE GUNS! Not gonna work because those intent on using them for crime will still have access to them and nothing can stop that. So before news laws that don't work are made, try enforcing the ones we already have.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:51 am

MW, first the laws on the books need to be enforced. new laws won't be enforced any better. Second, one word, Chicago. Some of the toughest laws on the books and all you have to do is read the news every Monday to see how deadly the last weekend was.
Is it difficult to drive or commute from Chicago to surrounding counties or Indiana where laws are much weaker? You tell me.

Seems to me most of the recent mass shootings involved legally purchased firearms, either by the perpetrator or by another household member.

Greater scrutiny of all gun transactions (including making private party sales not conducted through a licensed intermediary illegal), ongoing mental health screening, and new taxes to help fund proper regulation is how progress gets made here, not by continuing to follow the status quo.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:54 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 am
Just my 2 cents - the time immediately after mass shootings is NOT the time to have a rational debate about gun control. Emotions are running too high to have such a debate. Calling anyone not guilty of a mass shooting "complicit" because of his/her belief on policy is in the same camp of saying "you have blood on your hands" and is exactly the kind of rhetoric I'm talking about here.
Mass shootings happen with such regularity, it will never be the proper time to have a rational debate.

Thoughts and prayers, folks.

Thoughts and prayers.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:00 am

Yeah, the thoughts and prayers following Las Vegas and the Stoneman Douglas (Parkland, FL) shootings sure worked great in preventing any subsequent mass shootings, didn't they?

Oh, wait....Never mind. :rolleyes

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:06 am

MW, I agree with you completely on the metal health screenings and and doing away with middle men. New taxes on firearms and ammo purchases makes total sense. As for BMW saying waiting a short time till cooler heads prevail I also agree with. In my first post I said a member of my staff is in a band that way playing in Dayton last night. Just got off the phone with him setting up an interview for my news department and found out his band was on stage inside the club where the shooting happened. So that hits damn close to home. I support the right to bear arms but hearing a guy I have worked with for more than 12 years almost bought it has me worked the fuck up. So I took several deep breaths, put on my bosses hat and started getting my news team working on Sunday to get this covered.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:40 am
So when IS the time to do something policy wise? Six months? Twelve months? Two years? Ten years?

Seems like NOTHING has been done despite numerous such shootings occurring within the last year alone.

Delay = higher risk for more & more of these shootings to occur!!
Not in the hours immediately following. This is a very emotionally-charged issue and sound policy generally isn't a byproduct of an emotionally-charged debate. The risk of laws which may result from knee-jerk reactions outweighs the protections offered under the Second Amendment, IMO.

If you want to say that makes me complicit in these shootings, then so be it. I can't help it that people seemingly quickly lose interest in having such debates during times of peace. That is a societal problem that cannot be fixed by the government - you can't force people to take interest in certain topics, but that doesn't justify knee-jerk policies either.

Take drunk drivers for example. Do you support prohibition? No? So does that make you complicit in the innocent life taken EVERY 48 MINUTES in this country by a drunk driver? See how easy that game is to play? This is also a perfect example of no urgency by the public to do anything about the problem. I don't understand why guns are so different.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:24 am

Also, putting guns and mental health aside, has anybody here stopped to seriously consider what other factors have led to our fairly recent uptick in gun violence? I don't think it is any coincidence that the uptick began around the time of the invention of the internet and 24/7 cable news. A tiny but significant number of sick people in our country crave fame and legacy, both of which are easily achieved thanks to 24/7 cable news and social media.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:42 am

This is proving to be a constructive dialogue. I appreciate your comments, zzand and bmw.

I do completely agree with your latest post, bmw.

I also agree with the "not in the hours immediately following" calming period.

The problem is - certain members of the right still like to use the "too soon" line multiple days or even weeks after such shootings, and accuse those of trying to implement constructive action of 'trying to score political points."
That is a societal problem that cannot be fixed by the government - you can't force people to take interest in certain topics, but that doesn't justify knee-jerk policies either.
You are right, which is why our duly elected officials need to DO THEIR JOBS and enact appropriate legislation, both at the federal and state level.
Take drunk drivers for example. Do you support prohibition? No? So does that make you complicit in the innocent life taken EVERY 48 MINUTES in this country by a drunk driver? See how easy that game is to play? This is also a perfect example of no urgency by the public to do anything about the problem. I don't understand why guns are so different.
I certainly do not support the prohibition of guns, either. I support reasonable regulation that still respects mentally sane individuals' rights to own as many firearms as they wish.

Plenty has been done to curtail drunk driving, although more action here would be prudent as well. Police agencies need to more aggressively patrol areas outside of popular drinking establishments and look for impaired driving. Drunk driving fatalities have declined by one-third over the past three decades. 10,874 persons who died in 2017 were involved in an accident where a driver was drunk. 15,549 persons who died in 2017 were victims of homicide by firearm (and that number has slowly grown over the past several years).

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving
https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/gun-dea ... ease-2017/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic