Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WJR hits another all-time low and takes a big plunge from last month's already terrible numbers!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WJR hits another all-time low and takes a big plunge from last month's already terrible numbers!

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Holy shit.

Some PPM encoding equipment must be malfunctioning for the once almighty WJR to have age 6+ numbers this piss poor!

They are now barely outperforming 91.7 WUOM, a station whose city grade signal reaches maybe 25 percent of the market's population.

Seriously, how does a venerable talk station with no lineup changes go from a 3.1 share - to a 2.6 share - to a 2.0 share within a span of three survey cycles?

WWJ's numbers are also unusually low, but certainly nowhere near record low territory for them.

The 2.6 share scored last survey period was WJR's prior all-time low point over many decades of broadcasting. They shattered that prior mark with the 2.0 share scored this go-round. :eek

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/

Are the old fogies who generally keep their dials glued to 'JR moving to FM? WRCJ's 2.7 share I believe is an all-time high for them. 98.7 The Breeze continues to draw healthy 6+ AQH share numbers, but I suspect a good chunk of that audience is over the age of 55. Also, the Classic Rock formatted stations in town now command a collective 11.3 share, which might be an all-time high for that format locally.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WJR hits another all-time low and takes a big plunge from last month's already terrible numbers!

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:49 pm

WJR now has a worse AQH share in ages 6+ than 890 WLS in Chicago!!!

WLS is slowly rising (in a market where more mainstream choices for spoken word programming exist than Detroit) and is now at its best mark in probably several years whereas WJR's numbers have quickly plummeted.

My PPM encoding comment earlier was not meant to be tongue in cheek, btw. I think it's a realistic possibility.

Realist

Re: WJR hits another all-time low and takes a big plunge from last month's already terrible numbers!

Post by Realist » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:57 pm

As I’ve seen posted before, they have an older audience. Maybe they’re starting to die off - or maybe people are sick of the Neo conservative babble they broadcast....

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Mix 92.3 drops a full share from last month!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:55 pm

Also interesting is the ratings for WXYT-FM.

WXYT-FM has a 4.5 share, whilst WXYT-FM Stream has a 0.1

45 OTA listeners for every streamer.
And they say radio is dead?

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:04 am

They could do better with an all standards music format, IMO.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 am

In the past year or so, much of WJR local programming has become very "Detroitcentric". In some cases being to the point of one long infomercial for the city of Detroit. Although I wouldn't dismiss meter problems, it very well could be us "fogies" out in the suburbs aren't tuning in as much because of it.

I've got a feeling the number of people that live in the suburbs that are, or were, WJR listeners dwarfs those that live in the city limits.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:11 am

So are we stuck with Nash-FM until Cumulus decides to divest itself from the Detroit market? Is there no hope for a re-brand with new imagining and a live morning show or a new music format (dance hits of the 80's/90's, rhythmic CHR, a return of the old WDRQ)?

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:20 pm

WOHO wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:04 am
I know that won't happen, but I'd love it to death!

They could test the waters be bringing back Nightflight 760 for a few months.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08 pm

The suburbanite factor may be part of it. You would be surprised how few even go to the city other than a sporting event, let alone care about it. The suburbs have for the most part survived and thrived without the city.

The age factor is another. There is nothing drawing in younger listeners, other than sports, and that’s not until fall. Talk radio skews older to being with, but WJR seems to go beyond that. I would love to see the specific demos for each daypart.

Guy Gordon is a poor choice for afternoon drive. If they want him around, shift him to weekend mornings and dump Warren Pierce. I don’t think Pierce has any listeners under 70, that and he is horrific on air and puts people to sleep.

Look at how much 97.1 is falling. Bad baseball will do that.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:41 pm

I just don't understand how CSX continues to dominate the market...The ONLY feature on their station that interests me at all is "Triple-Shot Thursdays!" Very average DJs, limited playlist, no jingles... boring to listen to. They must be "buying" their listeners with contests and give-aways?

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:52 pm

WOHO wrote:
They could do better simulcasting WWV!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Deleted User 7769

Post by Deleted User 7769 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:23 pm
Holy shit.

Some PPM encoding equipment must be malfunctioning for the once almighty WJR to have age 6+ numbers this piss poor!

They are now barely outperforming 91.7 WUOM, a station whose city grade signal reaches maybe 25 percent of the market's population.

Seriously, how does a venerable talk station with no lineup changes go from a 3.1 share - to a 2.6 share - to a 2.0 share within a span of three survey cycles?

WWJ's numbers are also unusually low, but certainly nowhere near record low territory for them.

The 2.6 share scored last survey period was WJR's prior all-time low point over many decades of broadcasting. They shattered that prior mark with the 2.0 share scored this go-round. :eek

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/

Are the old fogies who generally keep their dials glued to 'JR moving to FM? WRCJ's 2.7 share I believe is an all-time high for them. 98.7 The Breeze continues to draw healthy 6+ AQH share numbers, but I suspect a good chunk of that audience is over the age of 55. Also, the Classic Rock formatted stations in town now command a collective 11.3 share, which might be an all-time high for that format locally.
Curious if WWJ is still working on their tower. Signal seems poor to me still.
If so, that could affect their numbers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:41 pm

WOHO wrote:
I would listen to that. Bring it on.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:50 pm

They do weather, but it's annoying to me for a couple of reasons.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic