Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How Wheels 106.7 programs by the hour

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: How to program Wheels 106.7 by the hour

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 31, 2019 7:24 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:21 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am

Not to mention, the average Schmuck may not be music nerds or radio nerds like us. Agree or not, and I hate the comparison, but when you go to McDonald's, you want a burger, fries and a coke. If McDonald's started serving lasagna instead of burgers, people would stop coming.

Bingo
Thanks.

I'm not saying *I* like it, but that's the way it is.

I vividly remember being told, "If you don't play the hits, the guy down the dial will, and he'll take all your listeners, too".

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Fri May 31, 2019 7:54 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:21 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am

Not to mention, the average Schmuck may not be music nerds or radio nerds like us. Agree or not, and I hate the comparison, but when you go to McDonald's, you want a burger, fries and a coke. If McDonald's started serving lasagna instead of burgers, people would stop coming.

Bingo
Problem corporate radio is all fast food, and if you don't want to order it at all, it is really your only option like it or not.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:56 pm

I would actually love a McSagna.

Music is my life.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:53 am

All Butt rock all the time. Songs you've heard a million times you'll hear another million times even ones that suck.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:18 am

48125er wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:53 am
All Butt rock all the time. Songs you've heard a million times you'll hear another million times even ones that suck.
After playing "Turn the Page" from Bob Seger for the billionth time I actually heard Doug Podell say "Never get tired of hearing that one!" like he was excited about it.
Um, yes Doug. Yes we do get tired of hearing that one.

fuzzpower

Re: How Wheels 106.7 programs by the hour

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Always hated Turn the Page, but then again, I have never liked Seger post 1970ish. For a station still calling itself The Next Generation of Classic Rock, a song from nearly 50 years ago does not seem to fit.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:22 pm

I could never really stand Seger period, full stop. The tunes of his I liked even a little bit are songs we aren't gonna be hearing any time soon (those being the Live Bullet versions of Nutbush, Let it Rock and Get Out of Denver).

So, perhaps, the NAME is the issue. Because if you're gonna call yourself 'classic rock', there's an expectation. The original classic rock, aka "AOR Gold", was based around a certain period with certain artists, generally beginning with the Beatles. I can't say I've heard any Beatles music, group or solo, on the station yet...at least that I'm aware of. The original WLLZ used to play Beatles for a period. But the phrase 'classic rock' automatically makes people think Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Zeppelin, CSNY, etc.

So it comes down to a name thing. So what would a station that plays everything from a Hendrix song from 1967 up to a Linkin Park song from 2001? I guess a simple positioner like 'All the rock' or 'Where Detroit rocks' might be in order? I don't have the answer. Idk jack squat, or I'd still be in "the biz". But I do know that you can't satisfy all the people all the time...

I like to give credit where it's due. At least they're giving us the 'deep track' thing once or twice a day.

And they don't have Dahmer. That's major points in my book.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15041

Post by Deleted User 15041 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:43 pm

So why is 94.7 #1 apparently because they're doing something right.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:54 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:22 pm
I could never really stand Seger period, full stop. The tunes of his I liked even a little bit are songs we aren't gonna be hearing any time soon (those being the Live Bullet versions of Nutbush, Let it Rock and Get Out of Denver).

So, perhaps, the NAME is the issue. Because if you're gonna call yourself 'classic rock', there's an expectation. The original classic rock, aka "AOR Gold", was based around a certain period with certain artists, generally beginning with the Beatles. I can't say I've heard any Beatles music, group or solo, on the station yet...at least that I'm aware of. The original WLLZ used to play Beatles for a period. But the phrase 'classic rock' automatically makes people think Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Zeppelin, CSNY, etc.

So it comes down to a name thing. So what would a station that plays everything from a Hendrix song from 1967 up to a Linkin Park song from 2001? I guess a simple positioner like 'All the rock' or 'Where Detroit rocks' might be in order? I don't have the answer. Idk jack squat, or I'd still be in "the biz". But I do know that you can't satisfy all the people all the time...

I like to give credit where it's due. At least they're giving us the 'deep track' thing once or twice a day.

And they don't have Dahmer. That's major points in my book.
That is honestly my whole beef with them. Dont call yourself "The new generation of classic rock!" and then play worn out songs from 1969-1975 as half of your playlist.

Its fine if you want to play music from that era but be honest about it.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:40 pm

Mediumwave wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:43 pm
So why is 94.7 #1 apparently because they're doing something right.
Do you like hearing the same songs over and over and over?

Deleted User 15041

Post by Deleted User 15041 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Look at the numbers, they speak for themselves. I'm tuned into streaming at this moment I'm listening to Big 8 radio.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:10 am

The latest numbers show that they have lost market share and they are clearly altering their programming to confront a new competitor. Why is that?

Deleted User 15041

Post by Deleted User 15041 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:51 am

Ask the person running 94.7.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:04 am

The latest numbers show that they have lost market share and they are clearly altering their programming to confront a new competitor. Why is that?
An FM music station will ALWAYS lose some market share when a new, in-format competitor hits the airwaves. WCSX's market share has slid only a tiny bit so far.

In my opinion, it was a gigantic mistake for WCSX to begin toying with the likes of Smashing Pumpkins and Candlebox in its playlist. If I were them, I wouldn't have changed a damn thing music wise.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:21 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:04 am
An FM music station will ALWAYS lose some market share when a new, in-format competitor hits the airwaves. WCSX's market share has slid only a tiny bit so far.

In my opinion, it was a gigantic mistake for WCSX to begin toying with the likes of Smashing Pumpkins and Candlebox in its playlist. If I were them, I wouldn't have changed a damn thing music wise.
Thats my whole point. Why would they alter their playlist at all if they felt they were so dominant and couldnt be touched? Maybe all of the constant complaints about the same crap over and over finally hit home when a competitor arrived?They are clearly altering their playlist in direct response to 106.7

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic