Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stoney and Bogey

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
BKRPDM

Stoney and Bogey

Post by BKRPDM » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:44 am

What are everyone’s thoughts on this pairing, while Jamie is off this week? IMO, it doesn’t sound too bad. I always thought Jamie sounded better with Wojo.

borderboy653659200

Re: Stoney and Bogey

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:48 am

Is Jamie going back to San Francisco to start a skateboarding talk show,skateboarding being Jamie's only sports expertise ? Smarmy Stoney,with whom I had a brouhaha about 15 years ago over whether I'm black (you can't tell from my voice) will exacerbate Bogey's bag tendencies .

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 am

I liked Stoney much better in his early days. When he was on Sunday nights sports talk show with Mitch Albom(before Mitch got all holier than thou). Were they not on WLLZ 98.7 then switched over to WJR 760 ? Or was it just Stoney that was on WLLZ on Sunday night? The Stoney today seems to be a bit of a clown show......Bogey sounds like a punk. No thanks, I'll pass.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:07 pm

I can tolerate Stoney most of the time. I can tolerate Jamie less. Jamie always seems like he wants to pick a fight with Stoney. I think if Stoney said "today is Wednesday" Jamie would point out all the places in the world where it was already Thursday.
I am not at all a fan of Bogey.....

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 am
Bogey sounds like a punk.

this ^

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:11 pm

For full disclosure I only listen to the radio when I am in my car. Since I am not a big music guy I basically toggle between 97.1 and WUOM 91.7 during my 5-8 minute drive to the dog park and back.....twice a day.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:17 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
I liked Stoney much better in his early days. When he was on Sunday nights sports talk show with Mitch Albom(before Mitch got all holier than thou). Were they not on WLLZ 98.7 then switched over to WJR 760 ? Or was it just Stoney that was on WLLZ on Sunday night? The Stoney today seems to be a bit of a clown show......Bogey sounds like a punk. No thanks, I'll pass.
Stoney was Mitch's sidekick on WLLZ. The show was called "The Sunday Sports Albom"

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

thekman

Post by thekman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:17 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Stoney was Mitch's sidekick on WLLZ. The show was called "The Sunday Sports Albom"
Here is way more information than you probably would ever care to know.

The Sunday Sports Albom was originally on 98.7 WLLZ, it aired from 9-11pm. But often it would run long. 11:05, 11:15. I always enjoyed the final segment, the Trivia Trifecta. Listened to it religiously as I worked Sunday nights back then. The show always ended with the “Germans bomb Pearl Harbor” clip from Animal House.

Stoney was Mitch’s cohost, but Mitch was much more of a frequent newspaper writer back then. He would often attend road Lions road games on Sundays, or Piston and RedWing playoff games. Stoney would host the show solo on those days, and Mitch might call in for a half-hour. I wouldn’t be surprised if Stoney ended up hosting solo 25% of the time.

Once a year, Mitch usually hosted a show with Don Cherry at Don Cherry’s bar in Windsor.

WJR used to air the syndicated Costas Coast to Coast Sunday night interview show. Eventually they hired Mitch away and the Sunday Sports Albom replaced Costas. I believe Stoney was with Mitch on WJR at the beginning of the 760 era. The show was never the same though. On WLLZ the show felt much more natural. But on WJR, the show abruptly ended at 11pm. There were news breaks, traffic, weather. The show felt like it had maybe 70% of the content it used to have.

Before too long, Stoney left for WDFN to have his show with Rob Parker, and eventually Wojo. Fred Huemann became Mitch’s cohost at that point. Then WJR changed the time slot. I think to 8-10pm. Then 8:30-10pm. Then I think it became 7-8:30, or 7:30-9pm, maybe. Mitch got his weekday daily radio show, and the Sunday show became an afterthought. Ken Brown replaced Huemann on the Sunday show. They started re-airing Sports interviews from his weekday show.

Then WJR moved it and it became the Monday Sports Albom, airing 7-8pm, basically a Sports-only one-hour extension of of his weekday show. It was watered-down so much at that point, and disappeared eventually.

D.j.m.

Post by D.j.m. » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:55 am

This whole thread is about as old and crusty and weird as Stoney is most days.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:43 am

Yeah,D.j.m.,but at least this thread isn't smarmy, unlike Stoney,a great candidate for the Brady Breaker .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic