Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 March Madness

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

2019 March Madness

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:28 am

The first potential Cinderella -- the mighty Anteaters of UC-Irvine, followed by Jerry Falwell's Liberty Flames.

The Big Ten is making a powerful statement so far with seven teams in the round of 32, including a couple upsets.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Re: 2019 March Madness

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:26 am

Add Jerry Falwell's Liberty Flames among the potential Cinderellas, but I fear midnight will strike shortly for them.

I'm gonna miss Wofford, a fun team to watch. If that Magee kid would have only hit his average on all those threes he missed (He went oh for thirteen?) Kentucky could have easily gone down.

Dream scenario:
Sparty knocks off Duke in the Elite 8.
Sparty knocks off MEECH-igan for the fourth time this year in the Final Four.
Sparty knocks off Carolina for the championship!

I know, I know, let's take things one game at a time...but doesn't it delight the imagination? :mrgreen:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:47 pm

Duke looks beatable after today's performance.

One extra rebound for UCF on the defensive end of the floor in the game's final minute, and they likely would've won. A missed dunk in the final two minutes also hurt UCF greatly. UCF still damn near scored a game winning tip-in.

An extremely heartbreaking loss for UCF fans, for sure.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:49 pm

That final tip-in attempt was literally in the hands of the basketball gods, who apparently are Duke fans. I thought it was going in. Millions of brackets survived the fate of being crumpled or torn to shreds with that miss.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:46 pm

Look for UNC to be the ones cutting down the net when all is said and done. Coby White is a joy to watch. Roy Williams said it's the first team he's ever had that can run the ball as fast as he'd like them to.

MW, you're right about Duke. They are indeed beatable. As much hype there is about Zion, he reminds me a lot of Greg Oden in that, yes he's a man among boys on the court but I think his fundamentals are a little suspect and I wonder about his ability to stay healthy. So goes Zion, so goes Duke.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:48 am

I didn't think anything could top the miraculous near-comeback of Iowa against Tennessee, but that Duke/UCF game was one for the books! :eek How in the world could UCF not block out on that last free throw?!?!? And yes, those final seconds, that's the way the ball bounces when the basketball gods are Duke fans. :rolleyes Incredible!

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:04 pm

That final tip-in attempt was literally in the hands of the basketball gods, who apparently are Duke fans. I thought it was going in.
Agreed!

That above the rim replay camera angle was incredible. The fat part of the ball was directly over the hoop!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:35 am

Interesting coincidence?

Four states -- Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, and Texas -- each have two teams (half the field!) in the Sweet 16.

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:39 am

I've seen some incredible three-point shooting in this tournament, but those seemingly netless fadeaway laser-like swishers by Purdue's Ryan Cline were genuine things of beauty!
As for UM, I'll say the same thing I said when MSU lost to Syracuse last year -- if you can't hit your shots, you can't win.

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:11 pm

It has been clear for a while that the air was coming out of Michigan's sails. Didn't think they were going to get clobbered in that fashion, but I thought they had zero chance getting past the elite eight and only a 50/50 chance getting past the sweet 16 this year.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24 pm

I was a little surprised at the way Auburn dismantled North Carolina tonight, even after Okeke's injury.

Michigan State looked great tonight! Their match-up against Texas Tech should be an interesting one.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:38 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24 pm
I was a little surprised at the way Auburn dismantled North Carolina tonight, even after Okeke's injury.
Ditto! :o
bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24 pm
Michigan State looked great tonight! Their match-up against Texas Tech should be an interesting one.
First things first! For what you suggest, Sparty will have to beat #1 overall seed Duke in the East Region and Texas Tech will have to knock off Gonzaga, the #1 seed in the West.

- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:07 am

Duke looks beatable.
They should have lost to UCF.
Last night they should have gone to OT.

I no longer directly engage trolls

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Can’t wait for Michigan State to lose.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:40 pm

I think MSU is going to knock off Duke.

I didn't complete any brackets this year, but if I did, either North Carolina or Gonzaga would've been my national champion.

Was Charles Barkley on the air during the UNC / Auburn game? :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic