Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Disturbance at Burger King over refund

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Disturbance at Burger King over refund

Post by mtburb » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:19 am

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 158310002/
A customer at a Livonia Burger King has been charged with creating a fuss when she didn't have it her way, police said.

Porsha Tyler went to the restaurant in the 34000 block of Plymouth Road on Jan. 27 to demand a refund for a burger she bought there the night before, investigators said in a statement.

The 34-year-old was reportedly miffed that workers had not served the sandwich without tomato as she requested, according to the release.

The Harper Woods resident was offered a complimentary replacement meal instead, but surveillance cameras captured her creating a disturbance, police said.

She was filmed hurling a cookie display at an employee, which struck her in the arm and shattered, authorities reported.

"Tyler then threw food at the employee and tossed a wet floor sign at the counter before leaving," police said.

Officers arrested Tyler on Monday on an outstanding warrant. She was arraigned the next day at 16th District Court on four misdemeanor counts.

Bond was set at $2,000. A pretrial conference is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. March 26.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Deleted User 14935

Re: Disturbance at Burger King over refund

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am

Customers can be real assholes, I’m glad that all my businesses are going to be sold in another month and a half, I have Burger King restaurants as well as 7-Eleven food stores throughout the metro region and I can tell you right now I’m glad all of my businesses will be sold by the end of May. A store owner or a restaurant owner puts up with a lot of BS and I can tell you right now I’m glad that the police arrested that lady, No restaurant or store owner or employees should have to put up with that nonsense .

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:07 am

Whenever I have been served a food item not as I ordered the restaurant has gladly replaced it free of charge. One morning I placed an order at the McDonald's drive-through. They informed me when I got to the pickup window that their card machines were in the process of rebooting and that the reboot would take several minutes. I didn't have cash on me to pay for the order and politely explained that I was on my way to work and didn't want to be late. They handed me the food at no charge and apologized for the inconvenience. I smiled and said a free breakfast is no inconvenience at all! I've learned over the years that a little politeness goes a long way.

The fact that this lady had an outstanding warrant suggests that whatever problems she's dealing with go beyond a tomato on a burger. Demanding a refund a day after the fact is just bizarre behavior. Throwing a fit and hurling food at employees who offered her a fair resolution is way over the top! I hope she enjoyed the burger (which I'm sure she consumed with or without tomato). Looks like it gonna cost her at least 200 bucks.
Last edited by Calvert DeForest on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:39 am

That Burger King is a mile away from my home. That burger with a tomato suddenly became very expensive due to poor behavior and a bad decision. Did she really drive back here from Harper Woods to demand a refund on a $2 burger for a tomato that could have been picked off? I bet she did that anyway.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:22 am

There are people in this world that the world would be slightly better without. She might be on that list.

I no longer directly engage trolls

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 am

How much coke was she on

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:20 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:39 am
That Burger King is a mile away from my home. That burger with a tomato suddenly became very expensive due to poor behavior and a bad decision. Did she really drive back here from Harper Woods to demand a refund on a $2 burger for a tomato that could have been picked off? I bet she did that anyway.
I know the owner of that BK and he’s had his share of problems too, He’s considering to get out of the business as soon as he reaches retirement age as well. I know I’ve said customers can be a pain in the ass, But it’s not that so much as it’s employees, My Wife fired 25 employees in 2018 due to employee theft in one of our BK’s we had an employee load up his car with cases of beef we did not prosecute because we received the product back and just simply let the kid go, It cost a ton of money when you go through the legal process so in most cases we just let the person go. In the last 3 years my Wife had received numerous death threats from former employees, So owning a business like ours in the fast food or retail industry is not worth it in today’s world

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:28 am

I prefer the occasional story of the person in drive-through who pays for their order and the order of the person behind them. Seem to recall there was a fast-food place where it triggered a pattern resulting in over 100 drive-through customers paying for the next customer's order. I've done it a time or two myself and it's a good feeling (although I don't know if the trend continued). Some studies have shown that even the smallest good deed can boost serotonin levels in the brain and elevate one's mood naturally. The pharmaceutical companies might not care for such a remedy. They sell pills for that.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 am

In one of my BK’s We had an employee not give coin change back to the customers in the drive-thru window, Now keep in mind my employees do not take tips unless a customer is giving one we do not have a so called tip jar, But every car that went through the drive-thru
She would keep the change and just simply pocket it in one day she cleared over $50. Until one of my friends from the broadcasting biz went through the drive-thru and gave her his money and she gave him back his change but no coin, He than called me and asked what was the deal, I didn’t know what to tell him other than the fact that I would have my Wife look into it, Now I know it’s a small thing but the customer should get all of their correct change back it’s their money, Kim my Wife did not fire the employee but she did make it clear that will not happen again in any of our operations.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:57 am

Steve Korvette wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 am
In one of my BK’s We had an employee not give coin change back to the customers in the drive-thru window, Now keep in mind my employees do not take tips unless a customer is giving one we do not have a so called tip jar, But every car that went through the drive-thru
She would keep the change and just simply pocket it in one day she cleared over $50. Until one of my friends from the broadcasting biz went through the drive-thru and gave her his money and she gave him back his change but no coin, He than called me and asked what was the deal, I didn’t know what to tell him other than the fact that I would have my Wife look into it, Now I know it’s a small thing but the customer should get all of their correct change back it’s their money, Kim my Wife did not fire the employee but she did make it clear that will not happen again in any of our operations.
I'm surprised there weren't more complaints about this employee right off the bat, unless customers either didn't notice the discrepancy or just didn't want to bother with it.

There are some retailers who occasionally offer customers an option to round up their credit/debit card purchase to the next dollar. It's usually for a designated charity and the customer is clearly informed of the option to accept or decline. That's totally different. Withholding correct change without a customer's explicit consent just ain't cool.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 pm

edited due to double post
Last edited by Turkeytop on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:45 pm

When we're in Florida, my favourite burger is the whopper. One day when we were at BK, our bill came to something like $12.35. I handed the girl a twenty dollar bill plus the exact coins.

Her look of puzzlement gradually changed into a look of frustration. She didn't know how much to give me back. Finally, she told us to take our tray to our table and she would bring our change to us. While we were eating we watched the entire crew, including the manager, working on the problem. The boss had his calculator out. Eventually, the manager came to our table and handed me $20.00

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:01 am

Wow, and you trust them to make edible food?

I learned to make change without a calculator. It's not hard you just count it back to them as you do it. You start at $12.35 and keep giving them money until it equals $20.35. Start with smallest first. Add a one dollar bills until get to zero or five. Tell them "That's makes 13.35, 14.35, 15.35"...then add a five dollar bill...and tell them... "that makes $20.35, Thank you!".

Easy!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:45 pm
When we're in Florida, my favourite burger is the whopper. One day when we were at BK, our bill came to something like $12.35. I handed the girl a twenty dollar bill plus the exact coins.

Her look of puzzlement gradually changed into a look of frustration. She didn't know how much to give me back. Finally, she told us to take our tray to our table and she would bring our change to us. While we were eating we watched the entire crew, including the manager, working on the problem. The boss had his calculator out. Eventually, the manager came to our table and handed me $20.00
Retail establishments have traditionally taught workers to use the backward-calculation method when figuring out change. Instead of subtracting the price from the amount received they "count up". Coins are counted out first to the next whole-dollar amount and then the dollars are counted out, the total sum supposedly being a whole-dollar balance. They get confused when the customer hands them a sum greater than the purchase but not ending in a whole dollar amount because they think the count-back always has to end "on the dollar". I can just see the manager running this through their pocket calculator, trying to solve an over-complicated equation on both ends when it's a matter of simple subtraction that would take less than two seconds to do in their head.

This is why I don't care for Common Core. I can't tell you how many relatively simple math problems I've seen written in my kids' text books with solution methods that look more like advanced physics equations.
Last edited by Calvert DeForest on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 am

I could tell customer stories too when I was very young. One got PO'd because gave her a 2-dollar bill. I remember being puzzled by her response and indicating it was legal tender. She ended yelling at me because I didn't respect elders.

I should have yelled back "I'm just a 10 year old kid, I was trying to correctly count your back change when you rudely interrupted the process". I didn't though, LOL.

Never interrupt someone giving you change. After they're completely finished giving correct change simply ask them exchange the bills. This is a favorite scam to confuse the person giving change by interrupting them. My sister was "scammed" out of $50 one time by this technique.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic