Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

W38DH is now WVMY-LP

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
ce1337
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:26 pm

W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by ce1337 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Anyone remember the old HSN affiliate that was on Channel 38 in Toledo? I believe it was the last analog station left in Toledo, which went off the air last December.

Well, a few months ago, the station was sold to Marquee Broadcasting (after being owned by HSN directly), and about a week ago they changed the call sign from W38DH to WVMY and changed their virtual channel from 38 to 23. I guess it's only a matter of time before they finally launch their digital signal? If it's anything like Marquee's other LPTV we could be getting as many as five new subchannels on a new Channel 23.

I also find it interesting that 'MY' is in the call sign. Perhaps they'll be yanking the MyNet affiliation away from WMNT?

User avatar
WOHO
Posts: 1083
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:05 am
Location: Mourning the assasination of 1470 KHz by Cumulus

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by WOHO » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:07 pm

If they do steal two of the better channels from WMNT48, I hope that the quality would be better, they actually use Closed Captioning, and a program guide? Why not keep the CH38 moniker? Why have a CH23 when you already have a 'CH24' in town?

ce1337
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by ce1337 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:01 pm

I'm sure Marquee already has those features in their other stations, so it should be no problem putting them in 23. Matrix Broadcasting only owns WMNT, which is why they struggle at the most basic station functionality.

Also, it looks like WNWO will be moving to 23 after the spectrum auction repacking, so WVMY may have to move elsewhere before the transition takes place.

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 am

ce1337 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:05 pm
Anyone remember the old HSN affiliate that was on Channel 38 in Toledo? I believe it was the last analog station left in Toledo, which went off the air last December.

Well, a few months ago, the station was sold to Marquee Broadcasting (after being owned by HSN directly), and about a week ago they changed the call sign from W38DH to WVMY and changed their virtual channel from 38 to 23. I guess it's only a matter of time before they finally launch their digital signal? If it's anything like Marquee's other LPTV we could be getting as many as five new subchannels on a new Channel 23.
Well hopefully we'll get some nice variety than just one type.

12thstreetbrainiac
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by 12thstreetbrainiac » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Where will WVMY-LP be going to?

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am

12thstreetbrainiac wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 pm
Where will WVMY-LP be going to?
It sounds like channel 23.

Too bad the station wasn't bought by these guys or we'd certainly get nearly a half-dozen subchannels already!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTV_America

Speaking of subchannels, I noticed quite a few of these channels (outside the ones by Sinclair) do offer online streams as well for those of us who can't get these locally yet!
http://watchcharge.com/watch-live/
http://tcncountry.net/watch
http://revntv.com/watch/watch-online/
https://cheddar.com/
http://live.tufftv.com/

I wish more did this!

12thstreetbrainiac
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by 12thstreetbrainiac » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:35 am

I was mentioning, what RF channel will WVMY-LP be using?

User avatar
Splouge
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by Splouge » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am
12thstreetbrainiac wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 pm
Where will WVMY-LP be going to?
It sounds like channel 23.

Too bad the station wasn't bought by these guys or we'd certainly get nearly a half-dozen subchannels already!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTV_America

Speaking of subchannels, I noticed quite a few of these channels (outside the ones by Sinclair) do offer online streams as well for those of us who can't get these locally yet!
http://watchcharge.com/watch-live/
http://tcncountry.net/watch
http://revntv.com/watch/watch-online/
https://cheddar.com/
http://live.tufftv.com/

I wish more did this!
Charge is owned by Sinclair.

By the way, when Sinclair acquires Tribune and Antenna TV, they probably will stream it, so I'm probably the only one who is for it
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

12thstreetbrainiac
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by 12thstreetbrainiac » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:33 pm

WNWO (NBC 24) is moving to RF 23, so will WVMY-LP share RF 23 with WNWO (NBC 24) or will WVMY-LP move to Low-VHF (2-6)?

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Splouge wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:55 pm
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am
12thstreetbrainiac wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 pm
Where will WVMY-LP be going to?
It sounds like channel 23.

Too bad the station wasn't bought by these guys or we'd certainly get nearly a half-dozen subchannels already!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTV_America

Speaking of subchannels, I noticed quite a few of these channels (outside the ones by Sinclair) do offer online streams as well for those of us who can't get these locally yet!
http://watchcharge.com/watch-live/
http://tcncountry.net/watch
http://revntv.com/watch/watch-online/
https://cheddar.com/
http://live.tufftv.com/

I wish more did this!
Charge is owned by Sinclair.

By the way, when Sinclair acquires Tribune and Antenna TV, they probably will stream it, so I'm probably the only one who is for it
Oh I didn't realize Charge was Sinclair's. Thanks for the heads up (guess they couldn't fit more on 24's signal. I'm sure if ATSC 3.0 shows up quicker they might, then we'd get the whole set!

ce1337
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by ce1337 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:58 am

12thstreetbrainiac wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:33 pm
WNWO (NBC 24) is moving to RF 23, so will WVMY-LP share RF 23 with WNWO (NBC 24) or will WVMY-LP move to Low-VHF (2-6)?
I doubt they'll do channel sharing (as WNWO would have to give up some subchannels), so they'll probably have to file for a new channel position like other LPTVs will be doing soon. Since the UHF and Hi-VHF bands will be very crowded after the repacking is finished, they'll probably have to move to 3, 4, or 6.

12thstreetbrainiac
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by 12thstreetbrainiac » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Oh, OK. But when will the LPTVs be able to move to new channels after the repack is done?

User avatar
WOHO
Posts: 1083
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:05 am
Location: Mourning the assasination of 1470 KHz by Cumulus

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by WOHO » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:21 pm

WLMB doesn't get very good mileage on RF5, but then again, their antenna isn't even close to aligning with the towers out in Oregon, Ohio. That would help a little bit, and if the FCC gave a 3dB jump in ERP on all the VHF channels, it would be a start towards not pixilating. Heck, I have an almost full sized log-periodic antenna, and channel 11 still pixilates on me.
I assume a swap in a given market has to be done at the same time, BUT, you can't be frying the tower crew on an adjacent tower at the same time, plus, some FM stations will have to 'stand down' on exciter power while the TV tower work is being done on co-located antennae. Fortunately, I believe that Toledo's iHateClearChannel FM stations all have an auxiliary antenna and auxiliary antenna for backup at about half power.
I don't think Cumulonimbus has any backups for their FM stations. Still waiting on WCWA to get a translator and a good format, or someone to buy the 1520/translator duopoly for something decent in Toledo.

ce1337
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by ce1337 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am
12thstreetbrainiac wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 pm
Where will WVMY-LP be going to?
It sounds like channel 23.

Too bad the station wasn't bought by these guys or we'd certainly get nearly a half-dozen subchannels already!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTV_America
I noticed recently that Ft Wayne currently has five different stations owned by DTV America, all of them silent:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php? ... uh#station

Maybe when the stations are ready to sign on, some of them might move to Toledo and other nearby areas (Dayton, Lima, South Bend, etc.). Of course, like WVMY-LP, they'll have to move to new channel numbers during the repack, since a) all five RF channels (16, 29, 41, 43, 49) conflict with stations in Toledo, Detroit, and Windsor and b) three of those channels are part of the spectrum that's being cut off.

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:55 am

ce1337 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:30 pm
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am
12thstreetbrainiac wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 pm
Where will WVMY-LP be going to?
It sounds like channel 23.

Too bad the station wasn't bought by these guys or we'd certainly get nearly a half-dozen subchannels already!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTV_America
I noticed recently that Ft Wayne currently has five different stations owned by DTV America, all of them silent:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php? ... uh#station

Maybe when the stations are ready to sign on, some of them might move to Toledo and other nearby areas (Dayton, Lima, South Bend, etc.). Of course, like WVMY-LP, they'll have to move to new channel numbers during the repack, since a) all five RF channels (16, 29, 41, 43, 49) conflict with stations in Toledo, Detroit, and Windsor and b) three of those channels are part of the spectrum that's being cut off.
That's rather interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if they were planning somehow to come here at all, perhaps after the dust settles after the spectrum cut and the arrival of 3.0, things might start to fit together.

12thstreetbrainiac
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:07 pm

Re: W38DH is now WVMY-LP

Post by 12thstreetbrainiac » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Wouldn't it be great if WVMY-LP moves to RF 16 in Toledo, OH?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests