Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Governor Whitmer declaring state of emergency

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Governor Whitmer declaring state of emergency

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:04 am

That Ann Arbor record was just for that particular date.

A stretch in January of 2014 was at least as bad, if not arguably worse. https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/a ... 028/2014/1

That link is for Ann Arbor.

5.6 inches of snow fell Jan 5.
5 more inches fell on the 6th.
Nighttime low on the 6th was minus 8. Snow depth by then was 15 inches.
January 7th's high was +4. Nighttime low that night minus 14.

Did the post office close then?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:43 am

It's amazing how the world doesn't break into chaos and the Earth fall out of its access with you not able to get all over everyone's shit all the time. I couldn't imagine working for you.

The trick is to let people make their own decisions, and not worry about it.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:53 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:43 am
It's amazing how the world doesn't break into chaos and the Earth fall out of its access with you not able to get all over everyone's shit all the time. I couldn't imagine working for you.

And I couldn't imagine employing you. Not sure why you came at me with a cheap shot. I stated my opinion that I think it is ridiculous that so many things are being shut down simply over the cold. I understand others disagree, and that's fine, but you don't have to be an ass about it.

btw - all of these services being shut down are beyond the control of individual people making their own decisions. In fact, government control is the very definition of NOT allowing people to make their own decisions.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:23 pm

It's about time we fixed our funding issues. Having a policy that benefits Dick(head) DeVos and a handful of other mega-wealthy does not make our state a better place to live.

Think of how many businesses pass on locating here due to the poor state of our education system and infrastructure.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:43 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:53 am
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:43 am

And I couldn't imagine employing you. Not sure why you came at me with a cheap shot. I stated my opinion that I think it is ridiculous that so many things are being shut down simply over the cold. I understand others disagree, and that's fine, but you don't have to be an ass about it.

btw - all of these services being shut down are beyond the control of individual people making their own decisions. In fact, government control is the very definition of NOT allowing people to make their own decisions.
Actually just like any other business and individual or a few individuals the postal service shut down because of a their decision to do so... no vast power here... just a couple guys that decided to forgo their business for 2 days. No different then all the professional folks who stayed home and telecommuted if they could.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:27 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:43 pm
Actually just like any other business and individual or a few individuals the postal service shut down because of a their decision to do so... no vast power here... just a couple guys that decided to forgo their business for 2 days. No different then all the professional folks who stayed home and telecommuted if they could.
I do agree if what you are saying is "What's the big deal?" about not getting our mail for a day or two. Or not having food delivered for a day or two. We can all survive if stores and businesses close for a couple of days. The banks close for 3 days straight during every federal holiday. No one has to file bankruptcy over it. Like Sgt. Gunney said, Adapt and Overcome.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:27 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:43 pm
I do agree if what you are saying is "What's the big deal?" about not getting our mail for a day or two. Or not having food delivered for a day or two. We can all survive if stores and businesses close for a couple of days. The banks close for 3 days straight during every federal holiday. No one has to file bankruptcy over it. Like Sgt. Gunney said, Adapt and Overcome.
Precisely...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:00 pm

We were really batting a thousand for a while there. Little snow in November, but December really wasn't that bad. Most of January wasn't terrible, either. This is just a bummer from a "it was decent outside for a while" standpoint. Thank God it's over soon!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic