(Message from M.W. as of 4/15/2018): The Buzzboard has made its triumphant return to the Tapatalk mobile app! Thanks everyone for your patience. All new acct registrations in the queue as of 4/15 at 8:15a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

CBC's Peter Mansbridge Retiring

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.

Vic Doucette

Re: CBC's Peter Mansbridge Retiring

Post by Vic Doucette » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:20 pm

He'll now have more time to spend with my favourite stage actress. Lucky guy.
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Peter did a Facebook live question and answer on Monday. One of the questions was who did you listen to when getting started? He reply was, "Being in the middle of nowhere, I would listen to shortwave news readers when ever I could. Then after going to Winnipeg, I could tap into the networks."

Sadly those day of shortwave are long gone.....

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:07 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:48 pm
Peter did a Facebook live question and answer on Monday. One of the questions was who did you listen to when getting started? He reply was, "Being in the middle of nowhere, I would listen to shortwave news readers when ever I could. Then after going to Winnipeg, I could tap into the networks."

Sadly those day of shortwave are long gone.....
Especially one of CBC's crown jewels -- its shortwave transmitter in Sackville, NB, which not only was the main base for Radio Canada International, but also played host to many other foreign broadcasters seeking a North American base -- that transmitter was torn down a few years back.

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Sigh. I miss RCI and Sackville!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:45 am

Back during the 60s and 70s, I lived in a part of southern Ontario that, at that time, was not served by CBC Radio. I used to listen to CBC Northern Service on short wave. It was intended to target the far north and Arctic regions but it could also be heard here in the south.

The Northern Service still exists, but no longer on short wave. It consists of a vast network of low power FM transmitters in communities throughout the north. It's great for people living in the settlements, but anyone living a few miles outside has to rely on Radio Havana or China Radio International for their news.

CBC's last remaining short wave transmitter is CKNZ Newfoundland 6160 KHZ. It carries CBC Radio I programs to remote areas of Newfoundland and Labrador. It can be heard around here most evenings. I also pick it up when we're in Florida.

They had a similar Transmitter on the west coast to serve Northern BC. It broke down a few months ago and they don't intend to replace it. I expect the Newfoundland transmitter will eventually meet the same fate.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Every once in a while I play the very LAST b-cast of Shortwave Listeners Digest with Ian McFarland. Those were great days for CBC world wide.

Back in '77 I was on holiday and driving back from PEI and I spotted towers and a long wires. That's when I realized that I were near Sackville. I had a 'tunaverter' in my car so on AM I could listen to shortwave. Sadly, not much left to listen to anymore.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:26 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:45 am
CBC's last remaining short wave transmitter is CKNZ Newfoundland 6160 KHZ. It carries CBC Radio I programs to remote areas of Newfoundland and Labrador. It can be heard around here most evenings. I also pick it up when we're in Florida.

They had a similar Transmitter on the west coast to serve Northern BC. It broke down a few months ago and they don't intend to replace it. I expect the Newfoundland transmitter will eventually meet the same fate.

CKZN has been off air for the past two weeks. CBC management say it's off while they conduct a study of listenership. What they're really saying is, "if no one in the target area complains, then no one is listening and we'll just leave it off."

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:22 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:26 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:45 am

CKZN has been off air for the past two weeks. CBC management say it's off while they conduct a study of listenership. What they're really saying is, "if no one in the target area complains, then no one is listening and we'll just leave it off."
Well that sucks.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 pm

Who will host The National? CBC to reveal the plan Tuesday

CBC News says it will reveal on Tuesday who will be hosting its flagship 10 p.m. show The National now that Peter Mansbridge, who has anchored the show for nearly 30 years, is stepping down.

At a Tuesday news conference in Toronto, CBC News general manager Jennifer McGuire will reveal the corporation’s plans for the future of the program.

Mansbridge stepped down from his role as anchor and chief correspondent earlier this month. CBC News has previously confirmed there will be more than one host.

The public broadcaster has been scouting candidates within and outside the organization to take over hosting duties. The revamped version of the show is slated to debut in mid-October.

With files from The Canadian Press :hat

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:48 am

blizzard wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 pm
Who will host The National? CBC to reveal the plan Tuesday

CBC News says it will reveal on Tuesday who will be hosting its flagship 10 p.m. show The National now that Peter Mansbridge, who has anchored the show for nearly 30 years, is stepping down.

At a Tuesday news conference in Toronto, CBC News general manager Jennifer McGuire will reveal the corporation’s plans for the future of the program.

Mansbridge stepped down from his role as anchor and chief correspondent earlier this month. CBC News has previously confirmed there will be more than one host.

The public broadcaster has been scouting candidates within and outside the organization to take over hosting duties. The revamped version of the show is slated to debut in mid-October.

With files from The Canadian Press :hat
More Wendy Mesley, please. :razz

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Wendy Mesley is a good choice, so is Diana Swain... :D

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:34 am

The National reveals new hosts
https://youtu.be/J4PASiGrAos
:hat