Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

1310 Translator and Cars 108

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14803

1310 Translator and Cars 108

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Is it me or does the 1310 translator seem to have more punch lately,up until about 2 weeks ago I was able to null out the translator and hear Cars 108 perfectly with no problem ,I’m in Shelby Township so I really had no issues with getting a steady signal, but now I am not able to null out the translator just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. They were off the air for a while about a month ago.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 1310 Translator and Cars 108

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:35 pm

The 1310 translator does indeed seem to have plenty of "ups and downs" with regard to loudness, and to a lesser degree, signal range.

What I do know is this - the translator covers a LOT more ground with a clear signal than it should!

There's little doubt in my mind that they are operating out of pattern, and perhaps, with extra wattage as well. I still get a pretty good signal in the car up to about 8 Mile & M-10 when driving home from work. Based on the station's FCC licensed parameters, the signal should be weak in that location.

Also, I've noticed the signal is stronger than it should be near Oakland Mall (14 Mile Rd & I-75 area). On I-696 in Warren & Center Line, it comes in like gangbusters even though the licensed pattern suggests it should be on the scratchy side - especially when one considers the tall berms along 696.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:27 pm

I have noticed the same thing. What was 1:1 and you could find holes, now I don't find holes. 54 dBu protected contour extends to Yates. With the 5/23 runway gone at Bishop and the Davison Airport gone, they should revisit the possibilty of 500 feet HAAT.

A few 1 watt boosters just within the 54 dBu would be really nice.

I can't believe they aren't more proactive about this interference.
Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:32 pm

OK ,now the radio I’m using is a cheap $30. Panasonic RF 2400 D and I never had any issues getting Cars 108 but for some reason I can no longer null out the translator.By the way do you think radio’s with a DSP are better then the older signal processors?

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:57 pm

I cant help but wonder if W300DI is where the license would place it. It seems to have a better signal at W vernor and Clark than they have at I-96 & Evergreen. To be sure, receiver overload/intermod could be much worse at the site than W Vernor, where the only strong signals are the Windsor and Downtown Detroit stations (about 4 miles away from various directions), but W300DI should be quite weak there - 48209 is in a very deep null.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Cars 108's signal has seemingly degraded over the years. I used to be able to pick up it indoors - albeit with fuzz - in the 15 Mile & Ryan area in Sterling Heights.

Even before W300DI signed on, Cars 108's signal in recent years has been terrible in that region. I suspect WGPR's transmission of HD digital radio on its sidebands contributes to the problem.

I live very close to WCRZ's projected 50 dBu contour. I almost never can get even a hint of a signal on my home receivers, and in the car, all I can hear is a hint of a signal.

Townsquare doesn't seem to care if its Flint area stations receive interference in Oakland & Macomb Counties. An even more glaring example than this one is the interference caused by Family Life Radio's station at 103.1 MHz to WQUS Lapeer.

W276DB coverage area:
https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?c ... service=FX

WQUS coverage area:
https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?c ... service=FM

Look at how close the 40 dBu of W276DB gets to the Lapeer County line!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:06 pm

Yes,that’s another example of this crazy translator madness that’s been happening since the FCC allowed it way back in 2003 ,when they had the first filling window.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic