I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Urban to buy 2 more Toledo properties?

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
rf man

Urban to buy 2 more Toledo properties?

Post by rf man » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 am

Heard lately that Urban may be in the market for 2 more signals in Toledo. Wondering what station it might be and what they will program. Between all the Urban stations in town they have things well covered. Old school jams? Other formats? :hat

Frank Booth

Re: Urban to buy 2 more Toledo properties?

Post by Frank Booth » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:03 pm

This was a possibility I have stated, back in the 106.5 being sold thread. It's obviously 107.7 and 106.5. Urban is in 2 other markets, they do own Non Urban formatted stations. One of the sticks would likely go Variety hits or maybe even Classic rock, the other the country format may be retained. AC could be an option too, for 107.7. The only other thing I can think of is, them buying 1520 and 106.5. Sports moving to 1520, 106.5 taking on a Gospel format. Although, I consider this less likely, as I don't think Urban wants to mess with an AM'er.

The Ticket will likely move to 100.7, once it's all said and done. If this all comes true, My guess is Cumulus will be taking the WTOD calls with them.
Last edited by Frank Booth on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

I-Heart Media, I ask you to please bring back 106.7 The D, but without Journey,Eddie money, or Styx. ALT 106.7 sucks ass!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Frank Booth, the pattern of 1520 used to be tall N/S and narrow E/W - if that is still the case, perhaps they could air Tigers baseball, and could be a sports station and a 'brokered' station as well?? With 106.5 sitting out west like they are, a simulcast of 107.7 wouldn't be a bad idea, nor would a southern type gospel station? I've been out of the Haslinger and Dudley loops for a long time, so I don't know how BAS is doing overall? I wouldn't mind the Sandusky old tyme music 1450AM WLEC format on a Toledo stick either.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:01 am

hmm? BAS, I have not heard anything about them in awhile. It has to be 107.7 and 106.5. Urban does operate a rock station, so that might not be totally out of the question.

I am not sure how The Wolf is doing, billing or listener wise. However, the area is so glutted over with country, I think taking 107.7 in another direction might not be a bad idea IMO. Both formats should be blown up.

So a couple Scenarios:

1. Country format is retained on 107.7, with some re-tooling. 106.5 Flips to Rock or Variety hits.

2. Hot Moves to 107.7 and 106.5 is a Simulcast. 97.3 goes Gospel .

3. This ones a bit out there: 106.5 goes Gospel, 107.7 Flips to a Regional Mexican format.

4. 107.7 Flips to rock, 106.5 flips to Variety hits.

http://www.urbanradio.fm/

I-Heart Media, I ask you to please bring back 106.7 The D, but without Journey,Eddie money, or Styx. ALT 106.7 sucks ass!

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:47 am

I could see them flipping 106.5 to variety hits. Not rock. IOT and XKR have the kind of rock Toledo wants well covered.

Maybe they could simulcast WWV. Or do a Hardcore Rap format for all the gangstas in Swanton, Delta and Metamizzle.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Perhaps the OP is fake news (not sure), but it is worth noting that Urban does have some *non-Urban* formatted stations in its portfolio. For instance, they own a Classic Rock station in Alabama and a Country station in South Carolina.

If I were them, I wouldn't touch either 107.7 or 106.5 with a ten-foot pole unless I could purchase the stations for a dirt cheap price.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:25 am

Well.. they just might , if this story holds water.

Take 107.7 out of the picture, say its 106.5 and 1520. EMF might be ready to let 1520 go, as they might feel they have a sure thing in terms of getting there money. That might have been a little bit of the problem with the one deal that feel though.

It could just be one station for all we know. The 2 FMs mentioned, no big broadcaster would have any interest in them but a small one might. Cumulus needs/wants to 86 106.5 ASAP. The Cloud isn't going to get big money for it, as they might for say WXKR. So, this could be a good opportunity for a smaller broadcaster. 107.7 I'm not sure, Dudley may want to exit the biz again.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:09 pm

Hmm? could it possibly 107.3? Maybe Chuck Welch(I think that's his name) be ready to sell? Urban would eliminate a competitor this way. Although, I do remember Welch being quoted in The Toledo Blade, saying something to the effect of, that he would burn the station down before selling out. I think I-heart(then CC) tried to buy it at one point. So, that's a more remote possibility.

I'll just put it out there, WPOS 102.3fm. Although I very much doubt it.

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Frank Booth wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:09 pm
I'll just put it out there, WPOS 102.3fm. Although I very much doubt it.
I doubt the board of Maumee Valley Broadcasting would ever approve a sale, much less to a non-Christian or non "family values" buyer. I also agree with you.

I'm here, I'm qweer, and I'm not going away!

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:15 am

Chuck said he would burn 107.3 to the ground before Clear Channel would ever get their hands on it; so no.
WPOS could sell-out to K-Love, but they only provide service a bit further east; they could trade for 96.9, but I doubt they would mess around.
Sell me WJYM and 1520AM and let me put some real programming on the airwaves in metro Toledo.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:37 am

I am thinking this whole thing is/was just speculation, which like with anything, sometimes it's true other times not. Urban probably passed on the deal, if there even was one to be made.

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Frank Booth wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:37 am
I am thinking this whole thing is/was just speculation, which like with anything, sometimes it's true other times not. Urban probably passed on the deal, if there even was one to be made.
Like allot of the Toledo sale and prediction postings, I agree that this also is unrealistic and untrue.

I'm here, I'm qweer, and I'm not going away!

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Ok... If there was any sort of deal or interest, it's probably dead in the water. 106.5 and 107.7 are not exactly the best property's, The cloud however will have to unload 106.5 sooner or later.

If EMF could get it 106.5 on the cheap, they could put AIR 1 on there. Another thing that came to mind was(off topic), EMF and Family radio do a swap. EMF takes WOTL 90.3 and 1520am goes to Family radio.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:04 pm

EMF hasn't been able to sell 1520 for a decade, I can't see that changing.

They aren't going to give it up for nothing... first of all, they are a non-profit, so it would be prohibitive on multiple fronts, especially WRT taxes. And secondly... why would anyone want to buy a tiny directional AM in a market where only WSPD has a smidgen of relevance?

EMF unloaded two AMs in Youngstown in 2011 because there was a buyer available, and one of the two could be used for a super-serving full service format in its COL 30 miles from Youngstown proper. If Dudley or Urban really wanted 1520, they would already have bought it.

Maybe a Family Radio could have 1520, but what's their ROI?

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 am

I had considered Family radio coming into the picture, doing a swap for 90.3. EMF takes over 90.3 and puts AIR1 on there and also keeps the 92.1 Translator rebroadcasting A1. FR, takes over 1520am. It's a win for FR because they would gain a better signal over all and they don't seem to mind AM stations. 1520am for a 500 watt station, goes up into Michigan fairly well, I have heard them in downriver fairly decently.

Would work out well for EMF, as they could unveil AIR1 in another market. I agree, no commercial broadcaster has any interest in a 500 watt AM signal. Dudley is likely happy with just 107.7 by itself, as I don't see him trying to buy 106.5 back, for reasons already stated. 107.3, Welch will keep that station as long as he is alive.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 am

1520AM did have an offer, a buyer, and investors lined-up and a very high offer, but at the last second, EMF decided not to sell, or that it must be worth twice as much as the offer- no, I don't think that signal is worth in excess of one million dollars; however, I do receive it in Adrian, Woodhaven, and other parts of SE lower Michigan quite well, so it has a robust signal for an upper dial position and about half their old power rating.
I don't know if the investors would be interested in making EMF an offer for 1520 again after all the work and business plan that was presented only to be un-Christianly rebuffed after being led-along that it could be a go, it was a great plan that I saw.

So, when is AndrewZ going to have his ex-wife buy him WTOD 106.5FM, since he can't with his criminal record? Cumulus' time clock is about punched-out; time to dump it Cloud boys. Speaking of which, WTF is Dickey and Dickey running now? Radio stations or something else? They just snagged their old Cumulus digital manager lady, so they're up to something.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:55 pm

What were they planning for 1520am? The cloud shut down the MO station it had for sale, WNUQ in GA and WPCK in WI are still on the market along with WTOD.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:35 am

Off the record, 1520 would have been like 2004 WCWA with live and local talent, call-in, mostly CWay music.

Frank Booth

Post by Frank Booth » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:44 pm

I wonder if they could make a bid for 106.5, depending on how bad the cloud wants to get rid of it. That would be an interesting place for such a format. Also, hypothetically speaking, that might also be a good signal for Hispanic programming. I think a regional mexican format could work on a smaller scale in Toledo.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:57 pm

there's a LPFM on 96.5FM, WVZC-LP that is leading a Hispanic format from South Toledo. I heard English on a very distorted 1520 yesterday, not Hispanic?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic