All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Are there programming changes at CKLW?

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
ZenithCKLW

Are there programming changes at CKLW?

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 am

I've been listening to CKLW a few times this week, and notice there are new national shows. I can't remember TKO's original time slot, but it appears to be shorter than before. Also, Lynn Martin's 9-12 show isn't on today, replaced by another national show. I can't find any mention of any upcoming changes on their website or in the news, other than this new schedule on the website. Anyone know what is going on?

80sTalkRadioFan

Re: Are there programming changes at CKLW?

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm

I think the TKO show is normally on from noon to 2:00. Not sure about any other changes, but not surprised since their long time program director, Keith Chinery, is no longer there.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Probably another budget cut. I never listen to CKLW, except for a rare Spitfires game.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 pm

I realize the station's programming isn't geared toward the folks on the U.S. side of the border, but it amazes me that CKLW is as popular as it is.

Whenever I've tuned in, I've found the programming to be milquetoast. Also, the formatics of the afternoon news bloc (which could very well be a recently launched program) are poorly structured.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:40 pm

I think Dr. Joy Browne brought a lot of U.S. listeners to AM 800's brand of talk, especially from people who hadn't listened to CKLW since the "Big 8" music days. It always seemed to be targeted more to a female audience than the hard driving male dominated conservative talk of the U.S. I'll turn in my man card now, but in addition to Dr. Joy Browne, I always used to like their morning drive show and Lynn Martin's mid-morning show. As for their afternoon news block, they've had it for a while, however, it does sound like they've changed it quite a bit recently.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 pm

Apparently Lynn Martin is on vacation. Odd way for them to address that on their website.

As for their programming, while I can definitely understand why CKLW bores most people, I enjoy the nature of talk that isn't dominated by divisive political talk or snoozefest sports analysis that dominates the US talk radio landscape. Even though it's Canadian as far as news, community involvement, and limited politics go, there are shows and topics I can relate to, or at least find interesting. It's no Big 8, but it can be compelling. And when I'm up north with no wifi or society nearby, Comedy Saturday Night on CK is always enjoyable to me. I think CKLW is pretty underrated by most of us Americans.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 am

I am amazed at what tremendous numbers CKLW draws in the Windsor market- not like the numbers they pulled in Cleveland, Toledo and Detroit in the "Big8" days, that's for sure. Too bad they don't make it more of a 'full service' station with music segments or programs in between all the talk offerings?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:58 pm

As well as CKLW does in Windsor, I don't think it equates to total popularity. I believe the Canadian ratings system only measures the Windsor stations, even when a good chunk of the population still listens to Detroit. Using this measurement method, I think it inflates CKLW's numbers, which obviously works to the station's benefit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:14 pm

It measures all stations. Only results for in-market stations are published publicly.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Ah gotcha. I stand corrected.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic