All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WRQN badly needs a competitor

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 10525

WRQN badly needs a competitor

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 am

93.5 WRQN has gotten beyond stale, really repetitious playlist and I'm not crazy about the station's imaging. The Station enjoy's good ratings, in part because there only game in town when it comes to a classic hits/Variety hits type of format. WXKR is now more on par with WIOT, alot of stuff like Steely Dan has disappeared from the playlist.

I'd say someone needs to go variety hits or classic hits. 70's- late 90s/very early 2000s. No DJ's, stupid contests, or sports.

Something like :

Steely Dan- F.M
Bad Company- Bad Company
Third Eye Blind- Semi Charmed life
Wilson Picket- Mustang Sally(ok a little 60s)
Talking Heads- Life During Wartime
The Beatles- Love me do
Howard Jones- No is to Blame
Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
Matchbox 20- 3am
Led Zep- Black Dog
Collective Soul-Decenmber

Postioned between XKR and RQN. I used to really like 97.3 The Fox but that was a long time ago. I am not saying such a station would be a powerhouse but it seems to me, something like this would be made for The Toledo Market. Just felt like mentioning. it.

EnbyCee

Re: WRQN badly needs a competitor

Post by EnbyCee » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:05 am

Dude, the LAST thing Toledo needs is another station playing Bad Company. Although at least I guess you left off 80's butt rock. But a station spanning from 1964 to 2001 isn't gonna happen.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:45 am

EnbyCee wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:05 am
Dude, the LAST thing Toledo needs is another station playing Bad Company. Although at least I guess you left off 80's butt rock. But a station spanning from 1964 to 2001 isn't gonna happen.
I suppose.

Reminded though of going to Taco Bell recently and noticing how rather varied the music heard over their speakers was. It went everywhere from the 50's to the 2010's, interesting whoever they're getting their service from as it's quite an interesting mix.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 pm

I was just using that playlist as an example. Many similar sized markets to Toledo, have or on there 2nd Jack-fm type station. Toledo hasn't had 1 yet. Yet we have 3 *&^%ing country stations, not to mention others that can be received from near by places. :x |I

Plus technically 3 (c)rap stations :x .

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:32 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 pm
I was just using that playlist as an example. Many similar sized markets to Toledo, have or on there 2nd Jack-fm type station. Toledo hasn't had 1 yet. Yet we have 3 *&^%ing country stations, not to mention others that can be received from near by places. :x |I

Plus technically 3 (c)rap stations :x .
I can understand your pain. I wouldn't mind a Jack/Shuffle format at all if someone tried.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 am

Agree!! Heck Columbus has like 4 “Jack FM” type of stations (I know Columbus is a much bigger and better market.) and Toledo cannot even get ONE or a 2nd Classic Hits, ohh but we have room for 3 Hip Hop and 4 Country stations.
Ughh this market sucks!!
Driving up from Columbus yesterday by the time I was near Upper Sandusky, The Toledo stations started to scan through... NOPE straight over to the phone to play music.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu May 03, 2018 10:43 am

WRQN did wreck a good thing and needs a second station, kind of how XM has "Classic Vinyl" for the older 60-70s music, and "Classic Rewind" for the newer late 70's early 80's rock oldies. Radio wants to skew younger, but they're ignoring the fact that their biggest audience cume will come from the 55+ crowd, and the only station that caters to that is Springfield High Schools LPFM on 97.7FM. Before Cumulus let go of their two AM's, one of them could have been used to pick-up the slack on the oldies, and still makes more sense for a 'Jack-FM' on 98.3 than what it's doing now. I for one, listened to 97.3 religiously at work in it's FOX days before XM came to be, but once 97.3 flipped and XM was born, I've used them ever since. 103.7 would also be ideal for a Jack-FM as it is a big stick pretty much going to waste with all the coverage they can get.

Also, is it Cumulus' bankruptcy the reason they aren't subscribing to the ratings book, or is it because it might show the River edging out K100 in the big ole' book??

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:49 pm

103.7 is the new Tower 98. :lol the thing that just won't go away. Seriously, enough with the goat roping music. |I

Right WOHO, I was a loyal listener to The Fox. Good stuff. Toledo has to be one of the worst radio markets in the country.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Thu May 03, 2018 11:26 pm

I do like the 98.3 Jack idea, Culumless would rather waste another frequency, if your going to do Classic Country do it right, 60’s to 90’s Classics and no currents there are 10 other stations for that.

103.7 would also be ideal for a Jack-FM as it is a big stick pretty much going to waste with all the coverage they can get. Yes Please!!! ...or Classic Hits “BIG 103.7” with a 70’s lean, to avoid competing with WRVF. The new Tower 98, you got that right. lol
Toledo is the worst radio market!!!

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Fri May 04, 2018 5:15 am

What are your thoughts on this station? (Even thou someone took a shot at it on another thread..) I just got involved with this one, and curious as to your feedback.

https://tunein.com/radio/WDJO-1480-s27865/

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Fri May 04, 2018 8:33 pm

WDJO is a little classic for my taste but then again I’m only in my late 20’s. They’re receivable in the Dayton Metro area, definitely pass the station while scanning through the AM dial.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Sat May 05, 2018 9:03 am

Also, is it Cumulus' bankruptcy the reason they aren't subscribing to the ratings book, or is it because it might show the River edging out K100 in the big ole' book??
It's a market by market thing, not sure how it got decided - I think all Cumulus PPM markets are still subscribing and many of the 4S markets are, including Toledo. And K100 did not get beaten.

Link to Toledo Winter Ratings

rf man

Post by rf man » Sun May 06, 2018 11:36 pm

Mark you already had your chance programming WRQN and now the ratings are better. Hindsight is a great thing but....

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 am

Mark you already had your chance programming WRQN and now the ratings are better. Hindsight is a great thing but...
Not quite sure what you mean... WRQN is doing fine without me (maybe better according to you) and I’m happy for that. I’m more curious about reactions to the station I’m working with now.

EDIT: My question above was about WDJO in Cincinnati, a 60's / 70's oldies station that is competing against a WRQN style classic hits station. I was not asking for comments about WRQN, but about this Cincinnati station. Sorry for the confusion, Mr. First Post Ever.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Tue May 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Mark Elliott wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:15 am
What are your thoughts on this station? (Even thou someone took a shot at it on another thread..) I just got involved with this one, and curious as to your feedback.

https://tunein.com/radio/WDJO-1480-s27865/

WDJO an excellent OLDIES station. Good to see Marty Thompson back at 'DJO. He's one of the best to ever program the format; WGRR/Cinci, Magic/Charlotte, Kool/Las Vegas. WGRR sounded better than KEARTH and WCBS-FM. He was also Format Captain for CC in the early 00's. Syndicated with Tom Kent, and later iHeart Premium Choice PD and VT talent. There's more. Just Google him.

WDJO used to use Charlie Van Dyke. The current promo VO is good... but no one can touch CVD. Probably a cost cutting measure. Or Charlie finally retired.

As Fred Jacobs writes on his blog there's too much focus 25-54. There's $$$ 55+ if the sales staff goes about it correctly they could make some money and hurt the classic hits in the market.

Doesn't WDJO have two translators? That should help somewhat.
Last edited by AMFMTV on Fri May 18, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

FUN Music of the 50s, 60s & 70s

www.northcoastsgreatesthits.com

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue May 15, 2018 8:44 pm

I agree in part. Yes, the true, prepackaged "Jack-FM" format would work in Toledo. Anything similarly slapped together by Cumulus would be poorly executed, and not as good. Tom Petty and Bryan Adams would be heard at least once an hour.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Thu May 24, 2018 1:25 pm

EnbyCee,I LOVE Bad Company!!!! (Though I wouldn't want to hear them 2,000 times daily.) There wouldn't be a need for Classic Rock if most of today's music were good!!!

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Thu May 24, 2018 2:09 pm

handsomebradybreaker wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:25 pm
EnbyCee,I LOVE Bad Company!!!! (Though I wouldn't want to hear them 2,000 times daily.) There wouldn't be a need for Classic Rock if most of today's music were good!!!
Move to the Toledo area. You'll only hear Bad Company 1999 times daily.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic