Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 1-21-2018 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating newly registered accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Toledo radio 2018 predictions

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
1027BrianFM

Re: Toledo radio 2018 predictions

Post by 1027BrianFM » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:51 pm

So begs the question, will Cumulus try to go up against Kiss FM again? Conditions seem right, no one in modern times has really taken them on. Tower 98 was always sort of a joke, thank god that got put out of its misery. The vibe was put on a bad signal and 105.5 was a half assed attempt, plus using the Old star 105 name didn't help.
The New Z 102.7 Rocks! "You could listen WRIF and hear commercials,you could listen to snowflake music on Alt 106.7 Or you could listen to the station that REALLY rocks Detroit" WPZR Mt.Clemens/Detroit Crank it up and break the buttons off"

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Did not mean to be so right on Harvey getting out of the morning show.

I am guessing Craig Snyder will be getting his slot in the morning, since Gary Shores shows preference for Craig.
Wow, Cumulus Toledo part-timers can now make $8.30 an hour. How generous!

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:04 am

Such a terrible loss for Toledo, going back to my original post about media outlets being "plugged in" to Toledo, Harvey was definitely a great example of that.

To the point about Cumulus going up against Kiss again, I think Q is the closest they'll get to it. I don't think Q's product is bad, but they seem to be targeted toward the upper end of the CHR demo, borderline Hot AC (if that's even a thing anymore). I don't think that's a bad thing, that's where the $ is, but not the head to head us radio nerds would like to see. Honestly, I don't think we'll see a head to head, signal to signal, battle for a long time. The closest was Tower/ Kiss/ Star. If you remember, there was a slice of time when Tower was programmed VERY well as a rhythmic and Steve Marshall had Star 105 firing on all cylinders. They had Tower picking off the younger end of Kiss, Star was picking the upper end, and some corporate decisions were made at Kiss which created the perfect storm. I believe this was around 2004?

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:01 pm

I think a CHR battle is plausible, I think there would have been one 6 years ago, if Cumulus had done it correctly, as stated. We shall see. If not that, I do think a 2nd urban AC would make sense. IMO 107.3 should go in this direction, Mix has been killing it in the ratings forever. 95.7 is in the top 5 usually, trading places with WRQN. 4th and 5th respectively.
The New Z 102.7 Rocks! "You could listen WRIF and hear commercials,you could listen to snowflake music on Alt 106.7 Or you could listen to the station that REALLY rocks Detroit" WPZR Mt.Clemens/Detroit Crank it up and break the buttons off"

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 am

Amazing how 95.7's rimshot signal gets such good ratings from the tower way out in Pemberville (Gibsonburg). Wonder why Buddy Carr's Soft AC didn't do better as WRED?

And who was the guy that jinxed us that Cumulus would be letting go of the late Harvey J. Steele? Man, no more predictions from you!

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 am

I have been known to be bullseye accurate on many occasions. Just not so happy on my accuracy on this one time.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:55 am

WRED was a little before my time or more to the point, I was just a little kid. I do remember Y95.7, I remember seeing a Billboard on Monroe St near Rudy's Hot Dog. It was in red letters and had a Fox on it(I think). I believe Booth was operating the station through an LMA, sort of as a flanker station to K-100. Not sure if Carr still owned the station or not, at the time.

When they flipped to Mix in early 96, the only game in town was Magic 1470 and I think 1520 WVOI was on it's last legs. Toledo has a good size Black population, so the fact that, Toledo didn't have a station on the FM that was dedicated to a Black audience seems strange now. WIMX's signal is decent in most parts of Toledo.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Yep, 1470 was running more or less a classic soul station after they dumped CNN Headline News after the 1990 Gulf War 1.0 version. WVOI with 6 towers falling down in Perrysburg Township and the weird setup in Temperance Michigan may have transitioned to more gospel than urban music. For a while Booth America did have an LMA with 95.7 and it was a simulcast of 1560 WTOD and then on it's own with Y95.7 IIRC.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Ok, WRED started out with an AC format but went Oldies soon after. I am thinking that didn't last long, how long did they simulcast 1560? Cumulus originally bought the station but spun it off for some reason(over the ownership limit I think). If anything were to happen in T-town radio at all this year, IMO a competitor Urban AC could be something that would surface.

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:49 am

Cumulus got rid of WTOD-AM, because the towers were rusty inside, the expense of fixing them (or just the 1 tower)...underground and above, am was starting to die... Both inventory-wise (the main goal) and ratings. They also had an immediate buyer.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 am

And the main reason Cumulus dumped WTOD was to swap to get the 100.7 translator station.
Now they're SOL with no AM station at all to clear the Detroit Tigers broadcasts. I wonder how profitable it is to carry the Tigers in T-Town? What I'm getting at, in a very strange twist of fate, let's say
if Cumulus was to swap once again 100.7, for the better signal of 1520 and they could clear the Tigers games (as 1520's pattern is like a stick north and south without extending east or west (into WMTR's 'territory') they could run the games and all the shows that they still have a contract to clear until the contracts run-out, AND as a bonus, it would also come with a POS FM translator.
I'd make the swap, but that's just me. They could then spin-off the FM translator and make it the HD-2 signal of Q105-HD-2.
Seeing the very surprising ratings WVkS-HD2 gets, that could be a market for competing.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 pm

I guess meant 95.7, which was originally acquired but then spun off to a company called Riverside broadcasting. I guess it was seen as the weakest link. WTOD, that was an easy one. A commercial daytime only station just isn't viable anymore. Things See to be working out for CSN.

In Such a Scenario, they would need to move The 92.1 Translator to a better signal, perhaps 106.9 or maybe 94.1. Heck 102.7. 100.7 would become Air1. Cumulus launched the format originally on 1470 like 5 years ago, so I had wondered when the contract runs out on those, I figured it would have by now. Personally, IMO they could run that stuff just on an HD-2 Channel or just shift it to 92.1 alone. IMO, in this case they should just Move The Ticket to 1520 as no one is listening anyway. 106.5 is Unlistenable on the east side in part. Swap theory makes sense but it won't happen.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 pm

nd the main reason Cumulus dumped WTOD was to swap to get the 100.7 translator station.
Now they're SOL with no AM station at all to clear the Detroit Tigers broadcasts. I wonder how profitable it is to carry the Tigers in T-Town? What I'm getting at, in a very strange twist of fate, let's say
if Cumulus was to swap once again 100.7, for the better signal of 1520 and they could clear the Tigers games (as 1520's pattern is like a stick north and south without extending east or west (into WMTR's 'territory') they could run the games and all the shows that they still have a contract to clear until the contracts run-out, AND as a bonus, it would also come with a POS FM translator.
I'd make the swap, but that's just me. They could then spin-off the FM translator and make it the HD-2 signal of Q105-HD-2.
Seeing the very surprising ratings WVkS-HD2 gets, that could be a market for competing.
It's doubtful Tigers baseball is a significant revenue generator in the Toledo market. If it were, 1470 would still be on the air or another local AM station would be carrying the games.

No major broadcasting company is going to purchase a dinky AM station on a one-off basis.
Kathy Klages needs to be incarcerated. Why are the local media ignoring the vile actions of this wicked woman? LOCK HER UP!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic