Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Major Shakeup at Bell Radio Windsor

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
ontario

Major Shakeup at Bell Radio Windsor

Post by ontario » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:50 pm

Two long time programmers have been shown the door at Bell Radio's Windsor properties.

From All Access...longtime CIMX (89X) and 93.9 The River PD Phat Matt Franklin gets the ax...

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/arch ... ref=search

This comes in a series of events concerning the future of 89X. The two FM stations closed their Michigan sales office earlier this year. 89X has struggled since morning guys Dave and Chuck the Freak bolted for WRIF, and there has been talk about the station possibly going silent in the near future.

Also, longtime AM 800 CKLW program director Keith Chinnery is out.

Bell apparently thinks a programming makeover is necessary at the still-dominant news-talker, which has not made many major changes to its programming schedule in years. Competing Windsor radio groups Blackburn and CBC have been making minor gains against Bell in audience share. Blackburn Windsor's music stations have topped Windsor-Essex ratings in key demos.

The cluster also within the last few weeks laid off its promotions coordinator, and reportedly a producer.

Some Guy from Toledo

Re: Major Shakeup at Bell Radio Windsor

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:07 pm

ontario wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:50 pm
Two long time programmers have been shown the door at Bell Radio's Windsor properties.

From All Access...longtime CIMX (89X) and 93.9 The River PD Phat Matt Franklin gets the ax...

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/arch ... ref=search

This comes in a series of events concerning the future of 89X. The two FM stations closed their Michigan sales office earlier this year. 89X has struggled since morning guys Dave and Chuck the Freak bolted for WRIF, and there has been talk about the station possibly going silent in the near future.

Also, longtime AM 800 CKLW program director Keith Chinnery is out.

Bell apparently thinks a programming makeover is necessary at the still-dominant news-talker, which has not made many major changes to its programming schedule in years. Competing Windsor radio groups Blackburn and CBC have been making minor gains against Bell in audience share. Blackburn Windsor's music stations have topped Windsor-Essex ratings in key demos.

The cluster also within the last few weeks laid off its promotions coordinator, and reportedly a producer.
Oh this must suck.

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:55 am

ontario wrote:

It might really just go silent? Wow.

ce1337

Post by ce1337 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:44 am

EnbyCee wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:55 am
ontario wrote:

It might really just go silent? Wow.
It seems like it would be a waste for such a strong signal to go silent. Couldn't they just make 88.7 into an FM simulcast of CKLW?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Maybe Bell Media should sell three of the Windsor radio stations and just focus on AM 800.

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Why the hell would they silence CIMX-FM? that has a H*** reach thanks to its 78.2 kW blowtorch of a transmitter near the bottom of the FM dial! God damn, even a simulcast of AM 580 CKWW or AM 800 CKLW would be a better use than just going silent!

Or, they could... you know... SELL it to another broadcaster and get a pretty penny for it... holy hell, Bell Media's fucking stupid! Glad i ditched them as my telephone provider :P

Just in the other thread in the Detroit section, I was wondering if CIMX-FM would end up as a repeater of London's CIQM-FM 97.5 Virgin Radio, but this is even more strange.
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:02 pm

The notion of CIMX-FM going silent is fake news.

That said, a format change certainly cannot be ruled out. The station is running on fumes, clearly.

I could see 88.7's softer music and mass appeal gold cuts merging with 93.9 The River. If that were to occur, 88.7 MHz would likely flip to Classic Rock, Mainstream Rock or some flavor of Adult Contemporary.

The CRTC for some reason does not like Oldies on FM. Thus, gaining approval to transition CKWW's programming to a full power FM signal could prove challenging, if attempted.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:23 pm

A big powerful signal like that, I don't believe that for a second. I do think however, its probably time for a new format. I am thinking Hot AC if it were to happen. 89x has been limping along for years, if it were an American station it would have been history by now.

That_Canadian_Guy

Post by That_Canadian_Guy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 pm

89x has been sounding heavier lately. I wonder if they are going to become an active rock and let the river play the softer alternative stuff.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Blackburn would fight approval of a Hot AC format for 88.7 MHz tooth and nail. Mix 96.7 is already Hot AC.

89X might be inserting some heavier tracks here & there, but their playlist remains poorly constructed. They are extremely slow at adding new rock (unless it is sissy music) and they play the same gold & recurrents over...and over...and over. They also don't seem to know the right time to move certain releases out of heavy rotation.

Revolution Radio by Green Day = STIFF.
Song #3 by Stone Sour = STIFF.
That single from last summer they're still playing from Royal Blood = STIFF.
Both singles from Highly Suspect = STIFFS.

I do agree - and have been stating for a few years - that greater separation between 88.7 and 93.9 is needed musically.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Blackburn should buy 88.7 at the first opportunity and put Kool FM on it and sell 100.7 probably to like UCB Canada for a Windsor transmitter.

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:18 pm

48125er wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm
Blackburn should buy 88.7 at the first opportunity and put Kool FM on it and sell 100.7 probably to like UCB Canada for a Windsor transmitter.
UCB already has a Windsor transmitter: CJAH-FM 90.5. so new, that it's still in testing mode, actually.

Cool FM was always a Chatham station but added a Windsor repeater on the east end for commuters between the two, with the idea that it could eventually be spun off to its own station, and both could increase power to cover both cities. Who would be interested in 89X's transmitter, though? there's a LOT of competition from the United States in Essex County....
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 pm

When Bell pulled offices out of Detroit last year, I sort of thought that would be the end of 89x. I'm not well versed on the radio market across the border in Windsor, however as noted 93.9 and 88.7 sound too close. Didn't 93.9 Briefly try a classic rock format? Like around 1993-94? They could go with a mellower edged classic rock format, then 580 flips to sports.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 pm

WTH, who's left- anybody in Windsor? Charlie O'Brian long got the shaft as the only live voice on CKWW- the CTRC should allow oldies or a simulcast of CKWW on 88.7 or Bell sell it to Blackburn who can resurrect the old "Classic Gold 630, CFCO" but this time on a border blaster dumping way more power than a US 50KW FM can. So, what, move CKWW programming back to the Big8, or to one of the FM's and move CKLW's talk format to the FM dial? Strange times indeed. 30 years ago if you told me radio would have looked like this mess, I would have jumped off the Ambassador Bridge, but we just keep getting this slow anti-freeze induced radio death.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:09 am

WOHO wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 pm
WTH, who's left- anybody in Windsor? Charlie O'Brian long got the shaft as the only live voice on CKWW- the CTRC should allow oldies or a simulcast of CKWW on 88.7 or Bell sell it to Blackburn who can resurrect the old "Classic Gold 630, CFCO" but this time on a border blaster dumping way more power than a US 50KW FM can. So, what, move CKWW programming back to the Big8, or to one of the FM's and move CKLW's talk format to the FM dial? Strange times indeed. 30 years ago if you told me radio would have looked like this mess, I would have jumped off the Ambassador Bridge, but we just keep getting this slow anti-freeze induced radio death.
Amazing what the CRTC could do to alienate windsor like that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic