Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Lew Dickey in Radio Ink

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Colonel Flagg

Lew Dickey in Radio Ink

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:44 am

As a subscriber, I can't post the link to the interview, but perhaps one of you geeks out there can figure it out. Lew Jr has not learned a damned thing from his mistakes, that's for sure. Would enjoy having MW weigh in on some of the financial mumbo-jumbo in the article, in particular. Funny, how Lew fails to mention his brother, John, even one time. I posted this here in the Toledo forum, to symbolize how this lace curtain character has obviously forgotten where he came from. That case of sour grapes must be getting heavy to drag around.
"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

WOHO

Re: Lew Dickey in Radio Ink

Post by WOHO » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Lew Dickey, Sr. was like his last name, but - he had a clue about running a radio station (although he did fire people for stupid reasons, aka The Mojo Man); but, that gene was something neither of his offspring inherited. Lew Jr. used to mow the lawn at 2965 Pickle Road, think that would have given him some humility, and why does he hold a grudge against his brother? They both had their little party company "Stratford Research" - think that would have helped them learn how to work together.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:09 am

The following two comments from Lew stood out for me:
...so radio’s primary advantages for consumers are reach, localism, live content, trusted brands and talent.
Funny. While he was the helm of Cumulus, his stations repeatedly trashed live & local content in favor of voicetracking and nationally syndicated programming originating from hundreds of miles away.

"NASH" is not local, it sure as hell isn't "trusted," and its morning show at launch was devoid of cohesive talent appropriate for that daypart.
Radio Ink: What was the biggest mistake you made running Cumulus?

Dickey: Probably a couple. Earlier in the decade, I misjudged the growth prospects for the radio industry, causing us to overpay for some assets. And secondly, I badly misjudged a couple of people, and I’ll leave it at that. As my father always told me, “We’re the sum total of our experiences.” And I consider myself wiser on both fronts.
Now THAT is an interesting comment. I wonder to whom he is referring? Jeff Marcus? John Dickey? Jan Jeffries?

Lew shouldn't be finger pointing. He is every bit as responsible for running the company into the ground as the people I named earlier.

Based on his remarks in that interview, his "Modern Media" book does nothing more than state the obvious. These are not deep thoughts. And as far as a mobile or digital content delivery strategy is concerned, Cumulus is and continues to be a complete disaster.

I disagree with him entirely that radio needs to venture into other media formats such as video. Radio ought to double down and focus on its core competency - RADIO.

Capital resources diverted toward web assets, HD Radio, and in Cumulus' case - the "Nash" campus - have made the core product weaker, not stronger. If your core product (OTA radio) is weak, hardly anyone is going to be motivated to check out supplemental content that is delivered via IP.
Radio Ink: What do you think about the performance of the company since you left?

Dickey: Frankly, as a large shareholder, the results are shocking. Since the fall of ’15, it has been the worst-performing public radio company, with a precipitous decline in both EBITDA and share price. It’s been difficult to watch for all shareholders.
No offense, Lew, but your EBITDA trends were already sucking ass while you were still at the helm. Wall Street was tardy in responding, in part because they trusted the bullshit you & your brother would repeatedly spread on earnings calls. Frequent, large acquisitions also made apples-to-apples trend analysis difficult during your tenure, and you repeatedly used such actions to obscure the underperformance of your pre-existing assets.

I would also note that Lew is more responsible than anyone for the implosion of WABC's ratings & revenue.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:55 pm

I concur, on all points. I nearly spit out my coffee when Lew was bragging about his other business, a line of glossy magazines for the high roller, upper income crowd, only to have the interviewer ask "Print? Isn't that a dying business model?"
"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:13 pm

LOL! I've never heard of those publications. Would not surprise me if they are losing money.

The Dickey brothers' love affair with magazines is bizarre. Remember when these dolts purchased Country Weekly?
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:27 pm

A couple of years back, Dickey came into Cumulus Toledo, got the mid-day guy from K100, stood him in front of everyone and said: "Bill you got a 9-share....so.....what are you going to do for me for the next book? - how much higher can you get your share?" What an ass. Top 12+ by a country mile (no pun intended), and he wants more from him? So to show his appreciation, a year later, in order to save money, he laid off Bill, and put in a low-dollar girl in his place to get lesser ratings until they could shove the "Powered by NASH" BS going on their top station in town.
A 9-share, hell the morning team could barely do that. Dickey Jr was/is a real dickweed. He and his brother still haven't done anything with their Dad's first station that they own (and lost the license to) - rumor has it they will donate the land to the city for a couple mil tax write-off?

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:58 am

Did you do anything to commemorate the first anniversary of 1470 going off the air, WOHO?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic