Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

107.3fm Cleveland

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
1027BrianFM

107.3fm Cleveland

Post by 1027BrianFM » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 pm

I haven't really heard The Wave in a long time, One of the only stations I know of that is still doing some variation of The Smooth jazz format. I haven't seen ratings for this station in a long time, wondering kind of where they stood in the market.

With the exception of a year or so its been The Wave for almost 30 years. It was also the 2nd affiliate of Z rock which only lasted briefly.

Colonel Flagg

Re: 107.3fm Cleveland

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:37 pm

The last time I heard The Wave it was disappointing. There were far too many vocals for an SJ station. The pimply voiced guy in PM drive was atrocious, and clearly unqualified for a major market in any daypart. Voicetracking would have provided a more enjoyable listening experience. While I can't recall specifics, the local spots were bad too. Mundane, predictable copy over a dated music bed, with the usual cliches. It would have been funny if it were not so sad.
"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:06 am

When they subscribed, they were usually in the low 2-share, high 1-share range 6+. I can only imagine how they're doing in the money demos. But they recently celebrating their fifth birthday and appear to be surviving while commercial jazz is dead almost everywhere else.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:55 am

I agree; the station sounds like garbage.

Rubber City is incapable of doing good radio outside of its home base of Akron. Their track record in all other cities is abysmal.

107.3 in Cleveland sounds almost as bad as Rubber City's former cluster in Lansing.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:21 pm

The chances of a return of WNWV back to their glory days as a SJ/NAC stalwart are less than imperceptible. Smooth jazz is pretty much unsalable with the older audience it commands; that's why it was dropped on stations throughout the country back in 2008... and why the progenitor of the format, KTWV, abandoned it for urban adult contemporary.

As for this iteration... RCRG hemmed themselves in, big time. Still, it's a standalone Cleveland station with a rimshot signal based out of Grafton. Quite different than RCRG failing with an entire Lansing cluster IMO. They'll keep it as long as Thom Mandel wants to.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:05 pm

I was in Sandusky and heard 107.3 The other day, it sounds like poo. I do think if this station were to be sold that it would be flipped for sure.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 am

1027BrianFM wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:05 pm
I was in Sandusky and heard 107.3 The other day, it sounds like poo. I do think if this station were to be sold that it would be flipped for sure.
A sale is highly unlikely, though. Thom Mandel seems to want it as a personal vanity project; the Akron group can cover the losses.

Plus there's no logical buyers out there for WNWV, even if Mandel put it on the block.

The Wave, as clunky as this current incarnation is, will remain as-is for the long term.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 pm

To invest in something just because something else can "cover the losses" is a moronic move - at least from a business standpoint.

There is a noticeable format hole in the Cleveland area - a contemporary ROCK station. WMMS is not a rock station. It is a talk/sports station that plays rock music only as filler.

Throwback hip-hop and R&B would be a great choice as well.

Not sure how much "vanity" is gained from a station that sounds like crap and has ratings that reflect that fact.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:07 am

Yeah... I was/am a fan of the Smooth jazz format but that station sounds like dry toast. It seems to they need to go in a different direction. Rock would be the logical choice. About the only full time one is WNCX.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Well, I know TSJ is looking for a future home for La Mega once the 87.7 signal is finally converted. I don't think it would be a great idea for them to buy this signal, due to the cost and lack of large Espanol audience, but they could present as a possible buyer should they wish to keep the format going after 87.7 dies off.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:12 pm

I am honestly not familiar with that, yeah I dunno how a full signal Spanish language format would do in Cleveland, maybe on an AM signal but I kinda doubt on a FM. To my knowledge, 107.3 is the only property Rubber city owns there.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:18 am

Chrocket87 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 pm
Well, I know TSJ is looking for a future home for La Mega once the 87.7 signal is finally converted. I don't think it would be a great idea for them to buy this signal, due to the cost and lack of large Espanol audience, but they could present as a possible buyer should they wish to keep the format going after 87.7 dies off.
Lorain has a sizeable population of émigrés from Puerto Rico. It just isn't enough to keep format on the air in Lorain County - WDLW/1380 flipped to 50s/60s oldies in 2002, while WNZN/89.1 flipped to urban gospel in 2014.

I forgot if La Mega even subscribes to the book. :/

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 pm
To invest in something just because something else can "cover the losses" is a moronic move - at least from a business standpoint.

There is a noticeable format hole in the Cleveland area - a contemporary ROCK station. WMMS is not a rock station. It is a talk/sports station that plays rock music only as filler.

Throwback hip-hop and R&B would be a great choice as well.

Not sure how much "vanity" is gained from a station that sounds like crap and has ratings that reflect that fact.
Modern rock has had a tempestuous recent history in Cleveland. WMMS/100.7 went classic rock in 1996 and never went back, WENZ/107.9 went with urban contemporary in 1999 and never looked back. 92.3 burned through multiple incarnations of the format in ten years (WXTM "eXtreme", WXRK "K-Rock", WKRK "radio 92.3") before giving up and going all-sports.

And lest I forget, WNWV had a poorly-executed AAA format for two years before the then-owner Elyria Chronicle-Telegram sold the station to RCRG/Thom Mandel. He won't take 107.3 back to rock, and especially not when WONE/97.5 is right in WNWV's backyard.

Unconvinced on the viability of classic hip-hop. Radio One would have flipped WERE/1490 + WJMO/1300's translator to "Boom 94.5" if it really was going to work. They didn't, and that speaks volumes.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:24 pm

I honestly don't care what Radio One did or didn't do. They are lousy operators. Their decision not to try a given format does not necessarily mean such a format would fail under a different ownership group. They had bad luck with the format in a few large cities so they've more-or-less given up on it. (Both Radio One and Cumulus run Classic Hip-Hop on translator signals in Atlanta; the Cumulus effort usually gets double the ratings of the Radio One station.)
He won't take 107.3 back to rock, and especially not when WONE/97.5 is right in WNWV's backyard.
WONE is an Akron-focused Classic Rock station. I am suggesting an Active Rock station geared toward Cleveland.

BTW, 92.3 K-Rock with a limited budget and small airstaff often nabbed a 3 to 4 share in the Cleveland market during its final year on the air. Bear in mind this was AFTER Rover's Morning Glory crossed the street to work for WMMS.

Similar stations earn healthy ratings in Cincinnati, Columbus, Milwaukee and Detroit. I see no reason why Cleveland would be unable to make such a station viable.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:04 am

Currently 107.3 is a non player. I think WMMS runs alternative on there HD2 signal but no idea if there is a translator or not. I agree with Active rock deserves shot again. 107.9 The End was never a powerhouse but ratings wise they didn't do bad with The Alternative format but the big reason they flipped was obviously being bought by R1. Cleveland is sort of a blah Market.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:10 am

OMG this is Rubber city radio groups website. http://www.rcrg.net/

This is pathetic.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:49 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:10 am
OMG this is Rubber city radio groups website. http://www.rcrg.net/

This is pathetic.
That's very bad. Especially considering they haven't owned those Lansing stations in years and it doesn't even show their pickup of 107.3.

With regards to sale decisions: I think if they were to sell, wait for that decision until after Entercom enters the market. They might want to add a fifth station to their soon to be Cleveland cluster.

Format possibilities: Classic hip hop- no way. This format has demonstrated it just doesn't have the legs to last for long on a full-market signal. If iHateMedia ever fired up that 106.1 translator, we could see that or Urban there. A better choice would be a Rhythmic AC format, like WMGC Detroit or WHPT in Seattle, though the only way that happens is if it goes to Entercom.

Rock, active or alternative, wouldn't be a bad choice. MW, those higher shares for the end of 92.3 were actually when it was adult-leaning "Radio 92.3". K-Rock was blown up years earlier. I do think a full-market alternative or active rock could get a 3-4 share in the market.

I'd actually go with Country on this signal. RCRG already runs the successful WQMX in Akron, so they know what they're doing. Target it to Cleveland and take a bite out of WGAR, they could use a local competitor. I know it could cannibalize QMX, but with just a 3 share in Cleveland, it should bill more than QMX does in Akron, anyway, so it shouldn't cause that much harm, as long as they target the two stations to their respective markets.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:36 pm

Rock, active or alternative, wouldn't be a bad choice. MW, those higher shares for the end of 92.3 were actually when it was adult-leaning "Radio 92.3". K-Rock was blown up years earlier. I do think a full-market alternative or active rock could get a 3-4 share in the market.
You are correct - I apologize. I forgot about the name changes to Radio 92.3. It wasn't exactly a wimpy station from a music standpoint during that era. I recall hearing Tool and RATM when listening on my way back from a business trip in Cleveland.

Cleveland could definitely use a second Country station. I don't know if 107.3 would be the right signal for that. Their signal looks a bit shaky in the eastern reaches of the market. In a good chunk of the metro, their predicted signal strength is no better than that of WQMX.

With CBS, iHeart and Radio One being the only three major operators in the market (I do not count Salem), the odds of a second Country station emerging are very low. I say that because all of the CBS FM sticks produce good numbers.

radiofan86

Post by radiofan86 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Country won't happen. WQMX is their crown jewel. You have to hand it to RCRG. In an era of voicetracking and syndication everywhere, WQMX is basically live 24/7/365. They run a countdown show on Sunday morning and evening, but other than that, someone is in that studio. Interacting with the listeners, giving away concert tickets (I've heard them in the overnight hours), not being afraid to talk a little bit. Real local radio, no matter when you tune in, and it's winning. It's #1 every book in Akron and #1 or very close to it in nearby Canton. They even have an off-air PD and an off-air MD. It's a throwback to a different time and proof that the model can still be highly successful.
Btw, I have no ties to them, just a fan of how they run their Akron cluster.

That being said, no doubt they should make a move at 107.3, an Active/Alternative hybrid like KPNT in St. Louis would likely do well in Cleveland. It's still a blue collar town, which is why I think you need to have a bit of that Active Rock edge like KPNT has (as opposed to say CD1025 in Columbus). You could own everything from 1990 and on up. WNCX is a 70's and 80's based station. Music is an afterthought on WMMS and they make all their money with drive-time talk. 99X (WMMS HD2) has a decent playlist but tiny signal on 99.1 that gets swamped with interference by the time you get to downtown and no presence whatsoever. WONE doesn't matter in Cleveland and 107.3 as a newer rocker would do nothing to impact them in Akron.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:07 am

1027BrianFM wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:04 am
Currently 107.3 is a non player. I think WMMS runs alternative on there HD2 signal but no idea if there is a translator or not. I agree with Active rock deserves shot again. 107.9 The End was never a powerhouse but ratings wise they didn't do bad with The Alternative format but the big reason they flipped was obviously being bought by R1. Cleveland is sort of a blah Market.
WMMS' HD2 signal, which does carry the iHeart modern rock "premium choice" format, is relayed on W256BT/99.1 as "99X." Alan Cox's sidekick Erika Lauren does some of the station imaging and voicetracks morning drive.

WENZ was snakebit quite a bit during their history as "The END" - they lost to WNCX in the bidding for Howard Stern, lost their eventual morning drive hosts "The Brian and Joe Radio Show" to WMMS, and had micromanaging issues when Clear Channel assumed operations control. And THEN Clear Channel spun off WENZ to R1. The eventual morning drive team of Howie Green and Vic Gideon had a cult following, but you have to wonder What Could Have Been(R).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic