Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why Are Towers Shrouded On Satellite View?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ben Zonia

Why Are Towers Shrouded On Satellite View?

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Why are many towers shrouded on Satellite View? You could look at what is on them for miles near ground level around with a set of high power binoculars or a low power telescope if you wanted to get a better view. I used to think that it was a digital artifact. But I just looked at the satellite view of the Penobscot Building, and the tower looks like it is wearing a prophylactic. What information could you get from satellite view antenna details, that you couldn't get by direct terrestrial viewing or somewhere else online?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

HD74

Re: Why Are Towers Shrouded On Satellite View?

Post by HD74 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:44 pm

It IS an artifact.
They are not intentionally hiding anything.
Go look at a TV studio on sat view, the satellite dishes look like Salvador Dali paintings.
If I want to look at a tower, I find it's location and look for the shadow.
It's tough to render narrow really tall structures that you are looking directly down on.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

k8jd

Re: Why Are Towers Shrouded On Satellite View?

Post by k8jd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 pm

I see lots of towers on GoogleEarth. I am particularly interested in directional AM BC arrays. Some images are so clear the guy lines show up, some are not so good and you have to look for shadows to pinpoint towers. I have caught details like FM arrays on the side of AM towers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic