Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOMC NOT going wall-to-wall Christmas this year

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
non-anon bob

WOMC NOT going wall-to-wall Christmas this year

Post by non-anon bob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:50 pm

GREAT News, as far as I'm concerned! JJ announced this afternoon that WOMC will be "salt and peppering" Christmas songs in its playlist between now and Christmas eve. This is exactly what I've been advocating for them to do for the past few years. They will NOT beat WNIC in the ratings if they do wall-to-wall Christmas, as has been proven the past 3 years. Four or five Christmas songs per hour is a much better strategy. It worked for 15 years for the Big 8 (from '67-'82), as did the CKLW "Christmas Wish." What works best for 104.3 is variety hits from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. That's what the vast majority of their listeners tune in for. Don't "fix" it, if it ain't broken! :D

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Deleted User 14803

Re: WOMC NOT going wall-to-wall Christmas this year

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:40 pm

They don’t do 90’s anymore.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Well I'm very pissed.
That means I have to be stuck with WNIC playing the same 10 songs.

WOMC had the most amazing Christmas playlist.

I'm so done with the station. Everything lately is just awful, like the 80s crap, and removing the request hour and much more, so whatever. Byeee 104.3

Music is my life.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:36 pm

non-anon bob wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:50 pm
GREAT News, as far as I'm concerned! JJ announced this afternoon that WOMC will be "salt and peppering" Christmas songs in its playlist between now and Christmas eve. This is exactly what I've been advocating for them to do for the past few years. They will NOT beat WNIC in the ratings if they do wall-to-wall Christmas, as has been proven the past 3 years. Four or five Christmas songs per hour is a much better strategy. It worked for 15 years for the Big 8 (from '67-'82), as did the CKLW "Christmas Wish." What works best for 104.3 is variety hits from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. That's what the vast majority of their listeners tune in for. Don't "fix" it, if it ain't broken! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZcbkieZ1JY

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

nick_a727

Post by nick_a727 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:12 pm

What a stinker this year it’s not playing 100% Christmas Music Like It did the last 5 years.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Honestly for the past 5 years the holiday season never officially started till WOMC went Christmas.

My holiday revloved around the station literally.
I know that sounds weird but they played such a good variety of songs that I never got bored and I was in such a good Christmas spirit.

This year the Grinch Is running the station

Music is my life.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:36 am

WOMC-HD-2 and WCSX-HD-2 are all-Christmas, and commerical-free.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:51 am

Because no has an HD Radio but maybe 10 people in Detroit so why have commercials.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:54 am

As the OP pointed out, going all out Christmas wasn't hurting WNIC, they pulled at 15 share last year. It wasn't helping WOMC either, so why bother. Unpopular opinion maybe but I thought 104.3's Christmas list was stale and boring. They've used the same list for years.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:59 am

Are you talking list as in gifts or music just wondering.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Remember where you heard it first. Looking over the Nielsen Ratings, and what was happening with 98.7 changing formats, we figured it out a couple of weeks ago.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:42 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:51 am
Because no has an HD Radio but maybe 10 people in Detroit so why have commercials.
I guess I count as three of the 10. Two Sangean tuners in the house, and my Ford Escape receives HD. :smokin

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:18 pm

RadioKev wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:51 am
Lots of people have HD radio in their cars but don’t know it or how it works.

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:02 pm

I always picked WOMC over WNIC for a Christmas-tree decoration soundtrack. They played some older songs that WNIC's "safe" 150-song iHeart corporate playlist wouldn't touch and stayed away from the "newer" holiday songs by CHR artists that iHeart plays (who needs new Ariana Grande Christmas music, honestly?). Nevertheless, this is a good move, as it obviously just wasn't working.

Incidentally, Gnash FM is once again spiking in pop Christmas music along with the bro-country and hick-hop/EDM. Nothing like hearing a "country for life" liner going into Wham! or Mariah Carey.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:34 pm

I feel the only reason the ratings never were good was the lack of promotion.
All the Christmas music fans were tuning into WNIC, so they had no idea WOMC had flipped.

Like me and others have mentioned, WOMC had the far better playlist, so im pretty sure the lack of knowledge was the only reason for the failure

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic