All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/16 at 8:15p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Top 40's and in-store music surveys.

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
++++

Top 40's and in-store music surveys.

Post by ++++ » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:47 pm

As a dx'er and radio geek, I remember these as Top 40 outlets in the UP:

680 WDBC, 940 WIDG, 1230 WIKB, 1240 WJPD, 1340 WAGN, 1400 WQXO, 1450 WMIQ, 1490 WTIQ,
93.1 WIMK, 93.5 WZRK, 97.1 WGLQ, 97.7 WOLF, 99.5 WYSS, 101.5 WJNR, 104.7 WFNN, 106.3 WCJL-FM,
106.3 WMXG, 106.9 WUPM and 107.7 WMQT.

In the 1960's, it seemed every small little station had a chart. By the mid 1970's the charts which one could get at Woolworth's, W.T.Grant,local record shops, etc had disappeared. In the 1980's, any station that went Top 40, now on FM, had nothing printed at all.

The question is, were there any others that might be on this list. IE: I never knew, nor thought of 1240 WJPD as a Top 40 outlet, yet a former co-worker (I'm retired) told me "all the kids listened to them in the '60's."

I remember new Top 40's, as Z-93 Hancock, Magic 97, Yes FM, WJNR, Fun 104, Q107 going on in the 1980's or later, but never having a chart, to my knowledge. Did any of these ever put out a chart? My guess in no. Are there any station not on the above listing?

Any input is appreciated.

Fingerboard Corners

Re: Top 40's and in-store music surveys.

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:42 am

There have been similar inquiries on this board in the past. There were few responses. ARSA is a site that has charts from over 2500 radio stations and over 70000 charts worldwide, mainly from the US and Canada. This averages out to about 28 surveys per station that have survived and been archived. Small markets had less surveys survive due to fewer surveys and copies being published, fewer copies saved, and fewer people saving them. Most people report that they have or had some but they have been misplaced. Some stations have complete surveys online. The rest are hit and miss. In house surveys that weren't published, charts published in newspapers, and local charts published in Robin Leach's local station syndicated GO Magazine in the late 1960s are other sources.

If anyone would have a collection of UP Surveys, it would probably be somebody like Del Reynolds or Kris Erik Stevens, lifer UP radio geeks and present or past UP station owners.

Playswithtrucks

Post by Playswithtrucks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:01 am

WQXO 98.3/1400 in Munising had charts in the early 80's.

At the time, I believe these were prepared by Joe Raica.

Tim

++++

Post by ++++ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:25 am

I knew of ARSA and check it daily. I remember when they had 20,000 charts and now 70,000 and still there are new things like the QXO chart. To think, I remember going to the Marquette Mall in 1980's, looking for charts. Washington Street Mall (Kreske?) and K-Mart were checked for the charts available.
Certainly remember going to Q107 in downtown Ish. Stickers everywhere (1984?) and no charts printed. Magic 97 had nothing.
To think of so many stores carrying these charts, who sold records, etc.
Certainly can remember being on mailing lists for 1170 WLKE Waupun, 940 WFAW Ft. Atkinson and 1380 K-poi Honolulu! That envelope had "Here's your weekly record survey from (1380 K-poi) -the Hawaiian word for radio."
I once had tons of charts, weeklies for several stations. Charts all were at the stations on Fridays.
Certainly a different time. Something lost. Then too, one company didn't own evey station in town and they had their own PD.MD.
Every time (or almost) the PD changed, the surveys (or jingles) changed. Good stuff.
A truly lost art. Thank you both!

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:10 am

Have you contributed this to ARSA? I'll bring this to Gary Pfeifer's attention, if you didn't. Or you may want to enter it yourself. See, you were able to put your hands on one that fast! What is sad is what was thrown out by probably most in cleaning or moving. And moving is what DJs do!

Playswithtrucks

Post by Playswithtrucks » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:57 am

Off the main topic.. but I remember listening to "Lucky 11-70" WLKE in the 70's when it was country, as well as WFAW.
I applied at WLKE in '79 recalled how large and impressive their SMC automation was. 2 years later that automation came up for sale and I convinced Dr.Benson to buy it - and it ran WMKC's music from sign-on in '82 until the 90's. It ran WIDG in '81.(you can see part of the automation in my avatar) See? Off topic.

Tim
++++ wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:25 am
...I
Certainly can remember being on mailing lists for 1170 WLKE Waupun, 940 WFAW Ft. Atkinson

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:30 pm

I have heard WFDL 1170, the current call letters of WLKE, very clearly in recent years in the Winter months in the Straits Area with Daytime Skywave. Not a hint of WWVA 1170 Wheeling, WV, which tells me that the reflecting ionospheric layer is lower during Daytime Skywave. It is probably in the 200 uV/m range. During those same times, there is daytime skywave as far down as 910 kHz an 950 kHz, as you can hear fading from a mix of the groundwaves an skywave on WFDF an WWJ at nearly the same time. Near Solar Noon (around 12:30 PM) the groundwave and skywave on WFDF and WWJ are nearly equal, giving complete fadeouts and reinforcements during this time. The reinforcements seem to be in the 100 uV/m range. There doesn't seem seem to be any effect on WJR 760 at Solar Noon, and a greater Daytime Skywave at higher frequencies, as suggested by the Critical Hours rules.

frankfrank

Post by frankfrank » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:21 pm

FIRST POST on this site. Or, at least "in this life" - I'm pretty sure I joined something called Michigan Radio Buzzboard 10 to 13 years ago, but I see no sign of posts anywhere near that vintage here. Did the website go down for some time, then come back again in a second life?

I am a VERY interested collector of radio station Charts (surveys) from all over the world...ALL ERAS...and I am originally from southeast Michigan. Being a native Michiganian (I prefer this non-male-gendered term), I have a somewhat stronger focus on Michigan surveys over any other surveys from anywhere else in the world. I have been collecting these items since 1963.

The WQXO survey caught my eye enough to make me inquire more, and one of the "big guys" at ARSA (where the survey shown above has indeed now been archived) guided me to this website. This is because I do NOT have any original survey, of any kind, from WQXO...and, furthermore, this is a PRINTED SURVEY. (In a lifetime of collecting, I have only ever seen a grand total of TWO different stations having printed surveys in the entire U. P., both in the Houghton-Hancock market.) I would very eagerly like to get an original printed WQXO survey FROM ANY WEEK, but is this possible? Is there any possibility of me buying or trading ONE of these from you, at all? Yes, only ONE - that's all I need.

I have ample surveys available for trade, though almost entirely from elsewhere in Michigan - because, again, I have almost never seen anything at all from the UP. (Even "worse" than places like Alaska, Mississippi delta, Idaho, Vermont, New Mexico, Newfoundland, etc., the UP has the most barren representation of any US/Canadian region, compared to the number of stations in existence, of ANY region.) I do have surveys from a number of UP radio stations, but almost all are things like "top ten typed on their letterhead" or poor in-house Xerox copies, and I have "extras" of virtually nothing at all from the UP. I know I have some extra printed WMPL Hancock surveys from one date in 1972 (pure plaintext mimeograph, no logo, and possibly in-station only), but it may be highly difficult finding where they are. I may also have ONE "extra" of a printed WRS (internal "wired"/carrier current radio station as Michigan Tech) but it could take 100 or 150 hours just to find it.

I may have NON-printed (and probably in-station) surveys from WJPD Ish., which were sent to record companies in the 1980s, but likewise those would be tough to locate if I have them at all - especially now that those went up to Chicago with other 1980's stuff in a load (the first of many moving-in loads) that I recently took there, four hours from here. I am now living in westernmost Illinois, and I took those up because they are "keeper" stuff that I didn't expect to have any known use for, during THIS year.

I can, however, offer other items such as surveys from Traverse City or Lansing, a printed "extra" from WCRM in Clare from 1962 (station now long-since gone), a decent run of WPAG surveys from Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids - Saginaw - Kalamazoo - Detroit - Jackson etc. as choices - not to mention Green Bay, Duluth, etc. I can even offer to trade original 1956 or 1957 from WILS in Lansing which is the oldest I have from Michigan.

Or...a very real and decent Cash offer if you would be inclined to put the WQXO survey up on ebay. I would tell you my offer (it WILL shock and awe) and you'd simply list it at my offered price and I'd bid on the auction. No Buy It Now, please, and I'd advise being notified that it's listed if you were to do this, because I'm having a recurring problem getting my ebay daily search notifications and that's been going on for about a month now.

Besides WQXO, what other surveys are known from the UP - whether "in station" or printed or whatever - or from the northeast quadrant of "the mitten" (north from Bay City and Clare)? This is a really tall request, but is anything known to exist from the 1950s? Is there any knowledge of anything from Radio that was printed weekly in any local newspaper? Did WDMJ Marquette, WJMS Ironwood ever play rock and roll? (I have heard rumors for both...it would be WAY beyond cool to find a WJMS survey from when they operated Daytime on *630*!) I would very much like to "populate" my roster, so far rather dire, of surveys from the UP.

Thank you for any help, or even for any knowledge about this stuff. (And oh, by the way, if you have more than one issue-week of the WQXO survey, ARSA would love to have scans of all weeks available.)

In case anybody wants to PM me about any of this, I'm heading to my profile now to set up that ability and other stuff, so give me a few minutes...

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." -The Scarecrow, THE WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Build, for a man, a fire - and he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man afire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life - UNKNOWN

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 am

frankfrank, are you the guy who has WHRV surveys from the 1940s with Ollie McLaughlin and Ted Johnson listed as DJs on them, or are you just looking for those? Do you collect airchecks too? Are there any airchecks of John Landecker as "Dow Jones" at WTRX in 1966? They didn't list the DJs on their surveys from that era though. There is one survey on ARSA from WILS that shows "John's Pick" but it didn't show last names. He picked a song by the Buckinghams in 1968, where the horns sounded a lot like "Make Me Smile" by Chicago from 1970. Talk about foreshadowing!

frankfrank

Post by frankfrank » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:39 am

Hi FC (and I KNOW exactly where your name came from...I remember!),

No, I'm just LOOKING FOR those WHRV surveys. In fact, all I need is ONE...and, if multiples are available, I'll take the earliest possible year. Now, there's where my offer would get into hitherto-thought-impossible, unbridled "Shock-And-Awe" territory...The Wild Wild Midwest, if I may...are you telling me that somebody HAS some of these? Under extreme circumstances I may want two of them (only one would be the shock-and-awe, and #2 would "merely" be a really good offer), like if the earliest is so old that it PREDATES Ollie being there and I'd want a "newer" one with Ollie on it. (That is to say that I'd want the oldest-year one, AND the earliest possible year with Ollie on it.) I listened to that show in my formative years when I was just starting to learn rock and roll, and "Ollie's Caravan" is the very first radio-named rock and roll show I have any memory of, soon followed by Joe Van on CKLW, and many others. I never heard Robin Seymour "way back in the day" nor [uh...Knorr?? Pun intended] did I even know that there was ever any rock and roll on 1310 until "Keener 13" came on. If there is somebody out there with even the minimal ONE original WHRV survey, please bring it on...I can make you very happy.

I remember Ollie's Caravan segueing to a music show sponsored by The Gondola, a half hour of "elevator/beautiful music" starting at 2230 (or maybe one and a half hours to midnight). I never experienced eating at the Gondola, it was always The Old German, or Haab's (in Ypsi), or Krazy Jim's Blimpeeburgers, as the definitive choices. I never even experienced Leo Ping's, but I was always curious about it because I was already familiar with Chinese food (and have always loved it!) because there were a couple places in Chinatown we'd stop when visiting my aunt and uncle in Detroit.

I think I remember WHRV as, by and large, a WJR-type full service radio station...which, unlike WJR, just happened to play rock and roll at night. As such, and with COMPLETE lack of any corroborating evidence whatsoever (to add to Ollie McLaughlin telling me, in the early 70s, that he had a weekly Chart from his show), I ultimately came to believe these charts probably never existed. I've been looking for "only" 53 years.

After all, people in the record/music industry (which Ollie of course WAS - highly successfully - after he left WHRV) are rather notorious for tall tales and exaggeration, so even with his sounding very convincing, I later had to realize it might be suspect.

John Landecker. So, he was somewhere BEFORE he was on WOIB-AM in Saline [Ann Arbor]? That, I didn't know...I remember hearing him there in 1967. No, I don't collect airchecks. There is a forum called something like DetroitYes which I know has airchecks, but I don't think they covered any of the exurban radio stations except WHNE-then-WHND Monroe which threw City Grade signal into Detroit. I didn't see any airchecks from them as WQTE during their time as a Top 40 Rock and Roll station (circa 1960 and earlier), and they also put out one of the most attractive weekly radio station surveys that has ever existed...anywhere. They remained many years as WQTE, broadcasting Beautiful music into Detroit, until finally changing Calls to WHNE briefly, then WHND, as oldies. Aren't they WLLZ or WMUZ-AM or something like that, now, religious?

That being said, though, I would LOVE to find some airchecks of Ira J. Cook on WHFI Birmingham from around 1970. I just happened to "scope" an aircheck from him there, once, on June 7, 1970 (starting sometime after midnight, and going to around 0500) - he did the graveyard shift Friday and Saturday nights at that time, and he was COOL. Lots of humor, some goofy sketches, fake commercials (often takeoffs on the old Detroit Dragway ones), surprising music, and such. That same DetroitYes forum DOES have a couple airchecks of him from 1969, but he was only a very "conventional" show at that time, so the show went over-the-top at some point after that. I just have that one hour of aircheck, and not even any further trace of his zany side.
Last edited by frankfrank on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 am, edited 11 times in total.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." -The Scarecrow, THE WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Build, for a man, a fire - and he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man afire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life - UNKNOWN

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:44 am

frankfrank, do you have any WTAC GO Magazine copies from 1967-1969? What other stations besides WMCA had their surveys in GO? For those who don't know, a very young Robin Leach published GO. I am told that they took up too much space, and it was time consuming to cut out the local surveys, so almost all were thrown out by stations and even dealers.

I think Ted Johnson started at WHRV just out of Ypsilanti HS, shortly after they signed on. Last I knew, that studio that Ollie is pictured in is still there on Packard Rd., though remodeled after a fire in the early 1970s. I know of no surveys, just talk of surveys that would be worth something. There are no WTAC Surveys with Ted Johnson listed or pictured on them on ARSA, and he left WFDF before surveys were published. There were some in house ones in 1970-1971 posted in the remote studio window at Genesee Valley Mall (they bought one of WWJ's). I think Ted had left even before that. Wish cell phones were available, I would have taken pictures of the surveys.
Last edited by Fingerboard Corners on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

frankfrank

Post by frankfrank » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:53 am

I don't think I have any WeeTac GO! MAGAZINES at all. No, because my "definitive file copy" of a "WTAC survey" is one from 1959, and it's the only WTAC survey in my collection. That is my standard way of collecting these - exactly ONE survey per station, from the earliest year possible.

I do, however, have a stack, covering tons of different weeks, of GO! MAGAZINES from WPGC in metro Washington DC, which I can easily make available to somebody who wants them. I'm sure there'e at least forty weeks there, and there could be many more than that.

Other than that, I only have a few one-offs from a few other stations. I don't even have a WMCA one in my collection, for the same reason as paragraph one - I keep only ONE survey per station and my WMCA "file copy" is a survey from 1957. Even if that wasn't true, their stand-alone Good Guys surveys started up in 1964 and those are also before GO!, so that would have been my file copy instead...

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 am

Well, TJ the DJ is LISTED, but not pictured, on this one and at least one other one on ARSA.

http://www.las-solanas.com/surveys/WTAC ... 6-20_1.jpg

frankfrank

Post by frankfrank » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:30 am

What WWJ thing did WFDF procure? I assume you're not talking about a "WWJ survey" (one of the triad of Michigan surveys I'd "go all shock-and-awe" for, the third one being WOOD Grand Rapids when they played rock and roll briefly in 1957 or 1958).

As far as I'm aware, 100% of the entire history of all awareness that WHRV surveys could be "worth something" can be traced back to me, or could be traced back to me if the linked traces still existed, which is usually no longer true. I estimate that I have spent AT LEAST ONE THOUSAND HOURS of effort trying to track one of these down. That being said, no I wouldn't offer as much for an original WHRV survey as I would for a garden-variety, brand spanking new 2017 car...but, then, it's not as "far" from that as one would think, either.

I guess more than a triad, actually - let's say a quad (no, JUST a quad - not East Quad, West Quad, or...) because I would need to add WMIC into the mix as well. That's earlier than WQTE, and I ONLY remember once hearing them play "Got a Match?" (Frank Gallop, 1958) and announcing the song as #18. (Was it 18 with a bullet? Obscure 70's oldie reference here...) Continuing with a previous post, I don't remember any NAMES (announcers or shows) from WMIC, just "finding" them on the radio. I don't even remember the rock and roll on WQTE, for some reason.

That said, my "shock-and-awe" on any of these others doesn't approach the impossible levels of WHRV.

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:38 am

Actually, they do have a recording of Jim Taylor Hampton interviewing Stevie Wonder at WAMM 1420 Flint in 1965 on the site you mentioned. They have it mislabeled as WAAM. They may have fixed it. Jim Taylor Hampton also ended up at WLS (like John Landecker), and was also at WXYZ (as was TJ the DJ). I think the recording of John Landecker doing news on WOIA with Art Vuolo as DJ in June, 1967 is also linked on that site. Landecker was "Dow Jones", a Jones Boy name he picked himself, at WTRX in 1966 between his first and second year at MSU. 105.5 (when WWWM?) in Sylvania Toledo later had Jones Boys names as well.

WFDF procured one of the mobile studios that WWJ used at one of the malls near Detroit, and put it in Genesee Valley Center near Flint when they opened it in 1970.
Last edited by Fingerboard Corners on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

frankfrank

Post by frankfrank » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:43 am

The 105.5 Toledo [Sylvania] was actually WGLN at the time, if you're talking about the days when they were Oldies, as I think you are. They later became Country while still WGLN and I seem to remember their survey saying "Home of the Jones Boys."

Which kind of reminds me of the WTRX surveys which said "Jonesville" on them. I've actually seen a couple people therefore thinking that WTRX was actually located in a small town southwest of Jackson. LOL

Meanwhile, back to the original topic, is there any way for me to acquire one of the original WQXO Munising surveys?

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:51 am

I have two WAAM 1600 COVERAGE MAPS, from the Merritt Platt US 23 site, but no WHRV SURVEYS.

I do remember one surreal moment hearing WWJ playing "Marrakesh Express" by Crosby, Stills & Nash. That's almost as surreal as a WWJ survey. Wish I had had my Sony CF-450 to tape that.

frankfrank

Post by frankfrank » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:04 am

Kind of like the surreal moment, in early 1970, when I heard WCAR play "One Mint Julep" by The Clovers (from 1952)...

Fingerboard Corners

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:15 am

WWJ (and WFDF) now blast into the UP at Night like locals from their new 50 kW Downriver arrays. An Oldies format (MeTV AM?) would be great on 910. What they now have makes me nostalgic for the Radio Disney format they had for 12 years.

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:51 pm

For what it's worth, I've read comments on ReelRadio stating that WDMJ aired Top 40 music at night around 1970-1971.

I also know that WNBY in Newberry carried American Top 40 in the '80s (for some reason Casey occasionally announced WNBY as being in "Nashville, Tennessee" on some AT40 broadcasts; the WNBY calls have never existed anywhere but Newberry to my knowledge) though I'm unaware that they ever published any surveys or even actually played hit music outside AT40.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic