All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

No TV Signals in south UP

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
bud22923

No TV Signals in south UP

Post by bud22923 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:36 pm

I live here in Gladstone I have a outside TV antenna on my house and there is no TV stations here at all I know Channel 3 is doing tower work and will not be on the air on till next month.
All I can say is this is bad not to have a ABC and NBC or Fox Station here in the Gladstone and Escanaba area it is a big problem and it needs to be addressed we are all being left out down here no Marquette TV stations we use to get TV 6 and 13
when they were analog but now nothing they need to get low power TV transmitters here I have wrote to TV 6 and ABC 10 many times over the past few months telling them that we are being left out here well the other day I got a little bit of a hopeful email on this problem and they both said they are looking into options for this area I am not going to give up on this problem here and I will keep bringing it up to them I have even went as fair as putting up a Face Book site about it next I am writing to the company owners of the stations it might take time to get them to realize that they need to do something about this but I will not give up on it.
For a town the size of Escanaba and Gladstone put together there is no excuse for this.
This summer I went to St Ignace and and camped there for a few days I turned my TV on in my camper and I could not be leave it I was getting 10 stations on my TV in St Ignace that is very small town smaller then Gladstone and they have 10 stations there, now there is something wrong here here in the Escanaba area.
If any of you want the Face Book site you can privet message me and I will send it to you because I can not post it on here.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: No TV Signals in south UP

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 pm

I wish you luck!

You raise very valid concerns, in my opinion.

I personally think TV-6 throw its antenna using viewers under the bus on purpose. Why would they do that, you ask? Simple. More subscribers to cable & satellite services = higher retransmission fees pocketed by TV-6's owner.

TV-6 would love nothing more than 100% of its viewership to come from cable & sat subscribers. Every antenna viewer represents a lost opportunity to collect a retransmission fee.

What type of equipment are you using to pick up signals over-the-air? Do you have a pre-amp between your antenna and your TV? The reason I ask is, theoretically, you do reside within the predicted service area of WNMU-TV.

https://www.fccdata.org/?facid=4318

When atmospheric conditions are favorable, you also should have a decent shot at picking up some of the Green Bay market TV stations.

Years ago, WLUK had a translator station in Escanaba. I take it that station has long since left the airwaves?

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:28 pm

The problem with TV6 is that it's no longer on channel 6. It's 35 now, which being a UHF channel really gets absorbed into the trees and hills. They also haven't ran a full power setup on the new transmitter like they did in the old analog days. I'm sure if they were to use real channel 6 at full power they would get better long-distance reception like they used to.

I've always wondered about that cable/satellite thing being the real reason they don't give a ^#%$ about the cord-cutters and people on a tight budget.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:32 pm

I take it channel 6 no longer has a translator in Escanaba.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:33 am

It is really an absurd thing. I can't fathom a city like Escanaba not to have OTA signal. I'm sure you don't have pay TV for a reason. At the very least, you might get a dirt cheap "lifeline" package from the area cable company which is basically just local channels. I think DISH/DirecTV have something similar. It sucks I know but when there are no other options they got you.

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:53 pm

Nothing is cost-effective any more when it comes to cable/satellite TV. You can't just run a cable directly to your TV and pick up basic channels like you could in past years. Tuner boxes are required, and of course each provider charges you HD fees, box rental fees, and DVR fees if you want to record stuff. Years ago I don't think I spent much more than 10 bucks a month for that basic service, and now with all the fees you could spend 50 easily. There is no reason other than corporate greed for such practices in my opinion.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am

bud22923 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:36 pm
I live here in Gladstone I have a outside TV antenna on my house and there is no TV stations here at all I know Channel 3 is doing tower work and will not be on the air on till next month.
All I can say is this is bad not to have a ABC and NBC or Fox Station here in the Gladstone and Escanaba area it is a big problem and it needs to be addressed we are all being left out down here no Marquette TV stations we use to get TV 6 and 13
when they were analog but now nothing they need to get low power TV transmitters here I have wrote to TV 6 and ABC 10 many times over the past few months telling them that we are being left out here well the other day I got a little bit of a hopeful email on this problem and they both said they are looking into options for this area I am not going to give up on this problem here and I will keep bringing it up to them I have even went as fair as putting up a Face Book site about it next I am writing to the company owners of the stations it might take time to get them to realize that they need to do something about this but I will not give up on it.
For a town the size of Escanaba and Gladstone put together there is no excuse for this.
This summer I went to St Ignace and and camped there for a few days I turned my TV on in my camper and I could not be leave it I was getting 10 stations on my TV in St Ignace that is very small town smaller then Gladstone and they have 10 stations there, now there is something wrong here here in the Escanaba area.
If any of you want the Face Book site you can privet message me and I will send it to you because I can not post it on here.
This is crazy being the 3rd largest city in the UP. I think with a good antenna and some height you should be able to get something OTA. Maybe it's your antenna?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bud22923

Post by bud22923 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:22 am

For the one that was asking me what kind of antenna I have
I have a outside Radio Shack antenna with a Winegard pre amp also have a rotor.

Channel 6 and Channel 10 and Channel 19 need to realize the days of cable and satellite is declining because of the prices going up every year viewers are going to alternatives they are going to streaming apps like Sling and IPTV and others and all they do is give you channels from New York so with our local TV stations from Marquette they are loosing viewers because they are not giving the people over the air broadcast in this area.
So that also cuts back on people not seeing local advertising in there local area and this is no good for the TV station.
I have had so many people asking me about putting up a TV antennas in this area and I tell them all you are going to get is the 3s and that's is unless you live about 30 miles or so north of here to get the rest of the stations from Marquette
I know one thing when I go to Marquette I have noticed more people putting TV antennas on there houses take a look you will start noticing.
In the analog days of TV we use to get TV 6 Channel 13 and Channel 3 also Channel 2 from Green Bay but when they made the switch from Analog to digital and went to UHF signal went way down UHF is short range the higher the Frequency the shorter range gets.
The thing I don't understand is TV 6 had a low power transmitter here in Escanaba and they took it off the air when they made the digital switch that should of been left there and they should of made it a digital station.
Like I said there is no excuse for this that Escanaba & Gladstone is being left out with TV stations this should of been thought about in 2009 when they made the switch they should of looked and seen that there stations were not getting this far south they have had this many years to fix this problem and put in a low power transmitter.
One thing I don't understand TV 6 has a office here in Escanaba but we don't have a TV 6 station here.
Like I said I will keep bringing this up to them on till they fix this problem the south UP is being left out and this needs to change and I have lots of people backing me on the Face Book site over this problem.
If any of you would like to join the Face Book page on this problem just send me a privet message and I will give it to you.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:46 am

Why can't you post the link here?

kager

Post by kager » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 am

MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:53 pm
Nothing is cost-effective any more when it comes to cable/satellite TV. You can't just run a cable directly to your TV and pick up basic channels like you could in past years. Tuner boxes are required, and of course each provider charges you HD fees, box rental fees, and DVR fees if you want to record stuff. Years ago I don't think I spent much more than 10 bucks a month for that basic service, and now with all the fees you could spend 50 easily. There is no reason other than corporate greed for such practices in my opinion.
Aside from maybe a myopic (if not corrupt) FCC...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:02 pm

What happened to channel 40 (WLUK Fox 11 translator) in the Escanaba area? The license for W40AN-D was renewed as recently as March 2016.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:02 pm
What happened to channel 40 (WLUK Fox 11 translator) in the Escanaba area? The license for W40AN-D was renewed as recently as March 2016.
I wonder if Fox told them to shut it down. I'm still surprised W40AN-D wasn't sold to Gray with WLUC

bud22923

Post by bud22923 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:34 am

Fox 11 Channel 40 in Escanaba went off the air I emailed them they said it was because we lived in the Marquette Broadcasting area I don't know how they can say that because there is no TV stations here in Escanaba that are broadcasting FOX here from Marquette.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:22 pm

bud22923 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:34 am
Fox 11 Channel 40 in Escanaba went off the air I emailed them they said it was because we lived in the Marquette Broadcasting area I don't know how they can say that because there is no TV stations here in Escanaba that are broadcasting FOX here from Marquette.
WLUC broadcasts Fox on a subchannel (6.2).

If only TV6 would've kept the W14CE translator going in Escanaba. It was off the air for quite some time before the license finally got cancelled. The 14 signal covered Escanaba and Gladstone quite nicely, and we got a decent signal out by Ensign.

I've e-mailed TV6 about this in the past and gotten no response. I suspect that being short-spaced to a full-power channel 14 in Suring, Wisconsin may have been a factor. They really should have built that translator on channel 16.

We were able to receive WLUC-DT over-the-air near Ensign, 58 miles from the transmitter, using a Channel Master 4257 UHF antenna. This also reliably picked up WBAY-DT and W18CU-D.

Having installed several antenna systems in the Escanaba area, I can say that the RadioShack antennas that weren't copies of Channel Master equipment were, almost without exception, terrible. Often they had little or no gain on channels on the low and high ends of each band (2, 6, 7, 13, 14, 69/83). With channels 2, 6, 13, and 14 in use in the Escanaba area, this was bad news indeed.

You might want to investigate deploying an 8-bay UHF "Bowtie" antenna before giving up on TV6 over-the-air. Get a Winegard or Channel Master, not something from Menards or Walmart.

Eschew obfuscation.

bud22923

Post by bud22923 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:25 pm

I do remember Channel 14 being on the air I got it good to here in Gladstone and also got Channel 6 good to when it was analog being into ham radio and CB for as long as I have I made a 8 Bay UHF antenna out of coat hanger PVC pipe and wood and chicken wire it worked good for Channel 3 and channel 40 when it was on the air I got TV 6 one time with it one day when the conditions were right I had it up not very high maybe 20 foot off the ground I had a pre amp on it.
The problem is is Gladstone is just to fare away to get TV 6 signal down here for UHF.
I know about the sub channels 6.1 Is TV 6 NBC
6.2 Is Fox
6.3 Is Gritt TV
I got a email last week from TV 6 and they said they are looking into putting a transmitter here but that will take a while.
Hopefully whenever they do it will be just as good as Channel 14 was and also have the Sub channels on it.
WC8KCY do you still live in the Ensign area?

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:51 am

bud22923 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:25 pm
I do remember Channel 14 being on the air I got it good to here in Gladstone and also got Channel 6 good to when it was analog being into ham radio and CB for as long as I have I made a 8 Bay UHF antenna out of coat hanger PVC pipe and wood and chicken wire it worked good for Channel 3 and channel 40 when it was on the air I got TV 6 one time with it one day when the conditions were right I had it up not very high maybe 20 foot off the ground I had a pre amp on it.
The problem is is Gladstone is just to fare away to get TV 6 signal down here for UHF.
I know about the sub channels 6.1 Is TV 6 NBC
6.2 Is Fox
6.3 Is Gritt TV
I got a email last week from TV 6 and they said they are looking into putting a transmitter here but that will take a while.
Hopefully whenever they do it will be just as good as Channel 14 was and also have the Sub channels on it.
WC8KCY do you still live in the Ensign area?
I'm downstate in Manistee now, but my folks still live in Ensign. The 49' tower in Ensign with Channel Master 3617B VHF and 4257 UHF antennas was taken down a few years ago due to a renovation. Sadly, the antennas weren't saved.
Another national treasure, lost.

Here's what we got with that glorious assemblage of aluminum:
ANALOG
Crystal Clear: WJMN 3 Escanaba, WLUC 6 Marquette, WDHS 8 Iron Mountain, WNMU 13 Marquette
Just a little snow: WBAY 2 Green Bay, WGTQ 8 Sault Ste. Marie, WJFW 12 Rhinelander, W14CE Escanaba, W18CU Sister Bay, W20BZ Escanaba, W40AN Escanaba
Snowy but watchable: CHBX 2 Sault Ste. Marie, WTOM 4 Cheboygan, WTMJ 4 Milwaukee, CJIC 5 Sault Ste. Marie, WSAW 7 Wausau, WPBN 7 Traverse City, WAOW 9 Wausau, WWTV 9 Cadillac, WWUP 10 Sault Ste. Marie, WXGZ 32 Appleton
Just enough to ID: WFRV 5 Green Bay, W08BG Iron Mountain, WLUK 11 Green Bay, W28BX Marquette, W30AK Iron Mountain, W31BK Menominee, W35AK Iron Mountain, W72AJ Escanaba
Frequent tropo catches: WMVS 10 Milwaukee, WISN 12 Milwaukee, WIWB 14 Suring, WVTV 18 Milwaukee, WCMW 21 Manistee, WCGV 24 Milwaukee, WGBA 26 Green Bay, WGKI 33 Cadillac, WLEF 36 Park Falls, WMVT 36 Milwaukee, WPNE 38 Green Bay, W40AY Traverse City, WGKU 45 Vanderbilt, WDJT 58 Milwaukee
Stations that just never came in : WBKP 5 Calumet, WMQF 19 Marquette, W76AI Escanaba

DIGITAL
Always: WBUP 10 Ishpeming, WNMU 13 Marquette, W18CU-D Sister Bay, WLUC 35 Marquette, W40AN-D Escanaba, WJMN 48 Escanaba
Almost always: WBAY 23 Green Bay
Frequent tropo catches: WWTV 9 Cadillac, WLUK 11 Green Bay, WPNE 25 Green Bay, WFQX 32 Cadillac, WFRV 39 Green Bay, WFUP 45 Vanderbilt

Eschew obfuscation.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 pm

What did all those translators you mentioned air? I know of the following:
W14CE was // WLUC
W28BX was // WBKP (pre-WBUP)
W31BK was // WGBA
W40AN (and W72AJ before that) was // WLUK
W40AY was // WGKI
I've never heard of W08BG, W20BZ, W30AK, W35AK, or W76AI

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:20 am

ftballfan: W08BG rebroadcast WLUC; W20BZ was a TBN satellator; either W30AK or W35AK was broadcasting ESPN when I caught the stations--I don't recall what the other feed was--and W76AI rebroadcast WLUC.

Someday I'll do more research on the Bresnan OTA cable system in Iron Mountain to confirm what was on 30 and 35.

Here's the whole list of UP LPTVs, channels 2 through 83:

W02AM Gwinn: rebroadcast WLUK; later switched to WLRE/WGBA
W04AN Gwinn: rebroadcast WFRV; deactivated following sign-on of WJMN-TV
W05AQ Calumet: rebroadcast WLUC
W07AA White Pine: rebroadcast KDAL/KDLH
W07AK Republic: rebroadcast WFRV
W07AU Bessemer: rebroadcast KDAL/KDLH
W07DB Marquette: rebroadcast WLUC
W08AD Bessemer: rebroadcast WDSM/KBJR; moved to W09AO
W08AK Crystall Falls: rebroadcast WFRV
W08BG Iron Mountain: rebroadcast WLUC
W09AA White Pine: rebroadcast WDSM/KBJR
W09AB Iron Mountain: rebroadcast WFRV
W09AJ Republic: rebroadcast WLUK; switched to WUPT; moved to W43BY
W09AO Bessemer: rebroadcast KBJR
W09AP Ishpeming: rebroadcast WLUK
W09BA Felch: rebroadcast WLUK; later switched to WLRE/WGBA
W10AB Bessemer: rebroadcast KDAL/KDLH; moved to W07AU
W11AV Champion: rebroadcast W70AQ, which rebroadcast WLUK
W13AO Bessemer: rebroadcast WLUC
W13AS Marquette: rebroadcast WLUK
W13BH St. Ignace: independent LPTV station
W14CE Escanaba: rebroadcast WLUC
W14EM-D: rebroadcasts WLUC
W20BZ Escanaba: TBN satellator
WUPT-LP/CA, Channel 25, Crystal Falls: UPN affiliate; some local programming
W28BX Marquette: rebroadcast WBKP
W30AK Iron Mountain: ?
W31BK Menominee: rebroadcast WGBA
W32CV Ironwood: rebroadcast KQDS
W35AK Iron Mountain: Possibly ESPN
W40AN(-D) Escanaba: rebroadcast WLUK
W43AN Iron Mountain: rebroadcast WLUK; switched to WBKP
W43BY Republic: rebroadcast WUPT-CA; became WUPT-LP
W43CM Pickford: rebroadcast WFVX
K47AF Iron Mountain: TBN satellator
W49AF Crystal Falls: rebroadcast WLUK; switched to WLRE/WGBA; became WUPT-CA
W56BF Iron Mountain: WKBD; switched to WGBA (encrypted, Oak Orion)
W59AQ Iron Mountain: WGN (encrypted, Oak Orion)
W61CR Sault Ste. Marie: rebroadcast WFUP
W63AW Iron Mountain: CBN; later TNT (encrypted, Oak Orion)
W64CG Pickford: rebroadcast WFVX; moved to W43CM
W65BN Iron Mountain: TNN (encrypted, Oak Orion)
W67AP Iron Mountain: rebroadcast WAEO/WJFW; later The Disney Channel (encrypted, Oak Orion)
W67CS Sault Ste. Marie: 3 Angels satellator
K69BA Iron Mountain: rebroadcast WPNE (encrypted, Oak Orion)
W70AQ Ishpeming: rebroadcast WLUK
W70AT White Pine: rebroadcast WAEO/WJFW
W70AZ L'Anse: rebroadcast WLUC
W72AA Iron Mountain: rebroadcast WLUC
W72AJ Escanaba: rebroadcast WLUK; moved to W40AN
W74AN Escanaba: rebroadcast WFRV; switched to WWTV (primary)/WBAY (alternate)
W74AS White Pine: rebroadcast WDIO
W75AE Iron Mountain: rebroadcast WLUK
W76AI Escanaba: rebroadcast WLUC
W77AA Iron Mountain: rebroadcast WFRV; switched to WJMN
W83AN Stephenson: rebroadcast WLUK
W83AS White Pine: rebroadcast WLUC
Last edited by WC8KCY on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eschew obfuscation.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Surprisingly Newberry, Munising, and Manistique never had translators of any kind. I wonder if they had cable very early (meaning late 50s/60s).

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:08 pm
Surprisingly Newberry, Munising, and Manistique never had translators of any kind. I wonder if they had cable very early (meaning late 50s/60s).
I've wondered about that myself, ftballfan...

WLUC applied for a translator on channel 55 in Munising in 1974, then withdrew the application. Later in '74 they applied for the same channel in Manistique; it was never put on the air, either.

With the exception of W05AQ, W07DB, W08BG, W14CE, W28BX, W43CM, W61CR, W64CM, and W70AZ, all the UP translators were established by local television enthusiasts, municipalities, and the UP TV Systems group, which eventually became the Iron Mountain OTA cable sysstem. Why this movement never made it east of Escanaba is a mystery to me--especially in Newberry, which would have only gotten CJIC and very weak signals from WDMJ and WBAY until WTOM and WWUP were launched in 1959 and 1962, respectively. Surely a WLUK translator would have been technically quite feasible and, being a full-time ABC affiliate, a very welcome addition to the limited viewing choices there. Why nobody ever took the initiative to build one in that area escapes me.

Eschew obfuscation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic