Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Kenny Roberts the Jumping and Singing Cowboy

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Dr. Sandi

Kenny Roberts the Jumping and Singing Cowboy

Post by Dr. Sandi » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:07 am

For some reason, my brain flashed back to when I was about 9 years old. We kids used to watch a cartoon show with a musical host on WWTV, then on channel 13. It was hosted by a semi-successful country singer who did radio and TV across the eastern U.S.
To quote a bit from Ickypedia, "He began a daily cartoon show on WNEM TV-5 in Saginaw, Michigan, in 1961, as The Kenny Roberts Show where he was known as "The Yodeling Cowboy",[2] or (according to at least one former child guest[7]) "The Jumping Cowboy". The popular black-and-white show featured Roberts singing and playing guitar as he hosted children in the studio, and presented cartoons.

But before WNEM, he found regular work in Cadillac hosting a show for us kids, but singing country songs. As a kid, I was a bit taken aback by a country music cartoon show, but since we only got Channel 5 and 13, we dug in and enjoyed it.

I think I remember the words to his theme song,
"Well I'm going down the country
Just to have a little fun
Got a nickel in my pocket
Just to buy some chewin' gum."

Talk about a long walk down memory lane.

GenX lives at SuperCFL 94.5 HD4 Olympia - Streaming at http://supercfl.ddns.net:20110

LTL-FTC

Re: Kenny Roberts the Jumping and Singing Cowboy

Post by LTL-FTC » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:03 am

Ha - what a flashback!
For my 5th birthday my folks took me to be in his show audience. All the parents watched us thru a garage door window. The dozen or so kids jumped around while he sang his song.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic