Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local News

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Taco

Local News

Post by Taco » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:48 pm

Just some thoughts and comments I have about local news in the Northern Michigan DMA. Maybe I expect too much but I think its ridiculous only one network in the area has local news at noon. Maybe 7&4 don't have the resources to put on a noon newscast. More options are preferred than less. I found it odd that when 9&10 opened today at noon with a top story of a lawyer in the Carolina's is going to prison. Our own state has a major winter storm bearing down soon but that wasn't the top story. Local news needs to focus more on "local" as in in-state and local areas...why do I care or anyone else care that some guy is going to prison hundreds of miles away? That is something that could be on the nightly news on one of the major networks. Is it just a case of a slow news day? Perhaps they didn't care the winter storm will effect thousands of Michiganders?

I often dream of a Michigan where there are no duopolies. No more 9&10, 7&4, or 29&8.... I'm not sure how viable it would be to split them up so they can more focus on a specific area in this vast market.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Local News

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:46 pm

Our own state has a major winter storm bearing down soon but that wasn't the top story.
I respectfully disagree with your news judgment.

The storm here in southern MI, which hadn't even arrived as of Noon, absolutely should NOT be getting top billing (or anywhere near it) on a northern MI newscast. 90 percent of their viewing area will see low to no impact from this system.

The Murdaugh verdict was rightfully the top story. National stories often are covered on midday newscasts everywhere, and that for the moment is the biggest national story.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:15 pm

Taco wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:48 pm
Maybe 7&4 don't have the resources to put on a noon newscast.
7&4 had a noon newscast back in the early 90s, but dropped (probably) due to ratings and/or budget.
I often dream of a Michigan where there are no duopolies. No more 9&10, 7&4, or 29&8.... I'm not sure how viable it would be to split them up so they can more focus on a specific area in this vast market.
9&10, 7&4, and 29&8 are not duopolies as channels. Two channels that are considered as one, as the vast Northern MI DMA requires two frequencies to cover the entire area. 10 is a satellite of 9. 4 of 7, and 8 of 29, and even Fox 32 (45 is the satellite). That said, the OWNERSHIP of two stations is where the duopoly comes in. But there are ways "around" the laws for duopolies...

Taco

Post by Taco » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:01 pm

I'm just saying why would somebody in the Sault care what's going on in Mt. Pleasant or Big Rapids? Or vice versa? If I lived in the UP, I'd prefer hearing news from the UP and northern lower MI. Big Rapids would be too far away to care about. That's all I really meant.

I do remember when 7&4 briefly had a noon news offering.
organman95 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:15 pm
Taco wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:48 pm
Maybe 7&4 don't have the resources to put on a noon newscast.
7&4 had a noon newscast back in the early 90s, but dropped (probably) due to ratings and/or budget.
9&10, 7&4, and 29&8 are not duopolies as channels. Two channels that are considered as one, as the vast Northern MI DMA requires two frequencies to cover the entire area. 10 is a satellite of 9. 4 of 7, and 8 of 29, and even Fox 32 (45 is the satellite). That said, the OWNERSHIP of two stations is where the duopoly comes in. But there are ways "around" the laws for duopolies...
For it is a human number

Taco

Post by Taco » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:06 pm

I don't know, but I do see what you are saying. At least the storm was closer to home than the Murdaugh verdict, even if it didn't impact northern MI. I'm sure there are many who have family in the lower half of MI and would find that story more interesting.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:46 pm
Our own state has a major winter storm bearing down soon but that wasn't the top story.
I respectfully disagree with your news judgment.

The storm here in southern MI, which hadn't even arrived as of Noon, absolutely should NOT be getting top billing (or anywhere near it) on a northern MI newscast. 90 percent of their viewing area will see low to no impact from this system.

The Murdaugh verdict was rightfully the top story. National stories often are covered on midday newscasts everywhere, and that for the moment is the biggest national story.
For it is a human number

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:25 pm

Taco, how would the stations pay for all these additional paychecks?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:37 am

I only watch the noon newscast for weather only as I like to watch other things at noon as nothing really ever happens in Kazoo if I watch the news I watch Wood TV or Fox17 as I prefer GR stations. The Murdaugh trial was a big story I thought he was guilty and glad the jury found him guilty.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:36 am

Sometimes the stations up north are hard to watch with the influx of newbies. I get they have to start somewhere but it would be nice to have some veteran talent like Bill Harris, Mort Crim, Bill Bonds, Sam Merrill, etc.
MasterB wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:37 am
I only watch the noon newscast for weather only as I like to watch other things at noon as nothing really ever happens in Kazoo if I watch the news I watch Wood TV or Fox17 as I prefer GR stations. The Murdaugh trial was a big story I thought he was guilty and glad the jury found him guilty.
For it is a human number

Tipomitt

Post by Tipomitt » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:24 am

Really, both outlets really don't do much in the way of what I would call real journalism or even news gathering. Aside from police scanner stuff (accidents and fires)you can ALWAYS count on a story about the county road crew guys every time it snows. Or 'winter driving tips' every time it snows. Or, here locally in the Straits, the SAME story every spring about 'things opening back up for the season'. Same for New Years Eve, Deer Season, etc. Basically the same stories that you can set your calendars to.

Taco

Post by Taco » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:41 pm

And showing lines at the Post Office at the tax deadline or about so many people opposed to time changes just weeks before its going to happen.
Tipomitt wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:24 am
Really, both outlets really don't do much in the way of what I would call real journalism or even news gathering. Aside from police scanner stuff (accidents and fires)you can ALWAYS count on a story about the county road crew guys every time it snows. Or 'winter driving tips' every time it snows. Or, here locally in the Straits, the SAME story every spring about 'things opening back up for the season'. Same for New Years Eve, Deer Season, etc. Basically the same stories that you can set your calendars to.
For it is a human number

kager

Post by kager » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:39 pm

As the one who posted they wanted more newscasts, you have to think through that there just isn't that much local news to tell without turning it into a hokey joke.

Now that you've had the time to think about it, maybe the daily 'Doggone Report' at noon isn't what you were hoping for after all...
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:48 am

Do the stations follow Lake Superior State University in their sports stories? That is in the UP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:16 am

It's in the U.P.? I'll be damned. I thought maybe the school was in Ontario! 😅

Glad you straightened that out for all of us.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Tipomitt

Post by Tipomitt » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:59 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:48 am
Do the stations follow Lake Superior State University in their sports stories? That is in the UP.
No, they don't. Lake State's once proud D-1 hockey program is a shell of it's former self anyway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic