Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WFHD-LP

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge

WFHD-LP

Post by Splouge » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:24 pm

In April 2019, WFHD was sold to Max Henry & Associates, and nobody even noticed.

Just oy vey, where are they gonna be displaced to? I thought their license wasn't even renewed in 2013! We don't need this on top of everything else the spectrum auction has cursed us with!

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

fuzzpower

Re: WFHD-LP

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:11 am

I didn’t know it still existed. I have never picked it up anywhere in western Wayne County. With a decent antenna, I should have,

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:40 am

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:07 pm

I have seen this translator from Plymouth during good Tr conditions, but was years ago.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 am

They filed two apps:

One to transmit on UHF 30 from Ann Arbor (pending as of 3/4/20)

One to transmit on UHF 18 from SW Detroit (being reviewed as of 3/10/20)

Their application narrative says they intend to broadcast live, local, quality programming for Ann Arbor and the surrounding communities.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:57 pm

there's no way the FCC would allow them to use UHF 18... it's too shortspaced to WDTJ-LD in Toledo (also on 18). 30 *might* be doable if they're directional away from Leamington to protect CFTV-DT...

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:59 pm

WEYI is also on 18, so that would really screw them up

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:23 pm

WNEM Saginaw is RF30 now ….no way.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:28 pm

they could try asking for VHF 6 or VHF 2... VHF 4 is reserved for wireless microphones, 3 is used by WHNE-LD and 5 is used by WLMB-TV in Toledo... but those are the only realistic options left for them.

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Ringtail....are u able to get WHNE rf3 with your antenna??

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:07 pm

RF6 is WDMY, if they ever get on the air. Interestingly, it's also a digital LPTV/TX allotment in Windsor. It was granted to South West Ontario B/Casting (actual name!) in 2018 by the FCC, but the CRTC doesn't even have any record of such application!

RF4 is frequently used for analog STAs by Live Sports Radio in Detroit. I have no idea what it's for, no matter how many times I read their STA narrative.

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:22 pm

The CRTC doesn't have a record of the application...…...that's not hard to believe.

Here's to the CRTC... :barf

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:45 pm

windsor wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:53 pm
Ringtail....are u able to get WHNE rf3 with your antenna??
Sadly no, and not for lack of trying! it's rated for channels 7-69, though I hope to one day get a VHF-Low/FM/VHF-Hi/UHF combo antenna so i can pick them up once again.

As for WDMY-LD in Toledo.. I never picked them up. The farthest LPTV signal I ever picked up was Toledo's WMNT-CD on UHF 36. I know, it surprised me, too. My friends in Amherstburg said they'd get it often, but I always figured I was too far away for reception :P

I completely forgot about WDMY-LD being allocated VHF 6. That may or may not be an issue, depending on how far their signal reaches in the direction of Ann Arbor and SW Detroit...

South West Ontario Broadcasting? Hmmm... I think that was the name for the previous owners of CFPL-DT and CHWI-DT right before they became "The New PL" and "The New WI" in the late 1990s... VHF 6 was reserved for Windsor for CIII-DT-22's transitional digital signal, if they wanted to have a digital simulcast early. Instead, they just flash-cut on 22, then moved to 33.

Live Sports Radio uses VHF 4 for their wireless microphones placed throughout Ford Field and Tiger Stadium.

Edit: yes, South West Ontario Broadcasting was the name for the subsidiary of Baton Broadcasting that managed CFPL and CHWI. Baton (co-owned by the Bassette and Eaton families, hence the name) started off owning CFTO 9 in Toronto, and gradually bought up more and more CTV station owners, before buying the remainder of the network in January of 1998. Very surprised to see CTV still referred to under that long-defunct name!

statmanmi

WFHD-LP ... RF2 filing

Post by statmanmi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:01 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:28 pm
they could try asking for VHF 6 or VHF 2... VHF 4 is reserved for wireless microphones, 3 is used by WHNE-LD and 5 is used by WLMB-TV in Toledo... but those are the only realistic options left for them.
Winner winner, chicken dinner to RingtailedFox!

WFHD-LP's Amendment to a Displacement for LPTV Translator Application filed this week is for RF2!

Further, instead of citing a tower in Detroit, now it's noted as a DTE Energy-owned one slightly west of Willow Run Airport. Links:

https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&appid=2507 ... acid=67790

https://www.rabbitears.info/tower.php?r ... rn=1234966

If the RF2 build-out ultimately happens, then lucky viewers in and around Dearborn and Canton that put up low-VHF antennas could garner both WHNE and WFHD. Others will remain as frustrated as the many that are missing WHNE now.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:15 am

RingtailedFox wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:57 pm
there's no way the FCC would allow them to use UHF 18... it's too shortspaced to WDTJ-LD in Toledo (also on 18). 30 *might* be doable if they're directional away from Leamington to protect CFTV-DT...
Not so sure. For years, Toledo and Detroit both had stations on Channel 66.

Then, there was also W38DH in Toledo battling it out with WADL in Mount Clemens, and a Value Vision LPTV near Detroit on 36 getting hammered by WUPW.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic