All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Old School NoMI Radio

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
fmdxguy5678

Old School NoMI Radio

Post by fmdxguy5678 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:55 pm

Has anybody ever recorded their favorite radio station on cassette with the IDs and commercials intact back in the day? My dad did in 1989 (most likely by accident), but it was only on a short part of the tape. Here's 106.7 when they were known as "107 KPK - The Peak":

https://youtu.be/YJbiTrziOLw

Also, feel free to discuss any of your memories of Northern MI radio.

WSRT 106.7 - You may have reached "The Peak", but you still struggle to climb the mountain of success.

Furthest FM Tropo Catch:
KEZO-FM 92.3 Omaha, NE
Recieved on 7/8/2018, 570.16 miles from Long Lake Township, MI

organman95

Re: Old School NoMI Radio

Post by organman95 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:15 am

I vaguely remember "107-KPK the Peak." My memory revolves more around Cheboygan (where I grew up) before "The Bear" Days. "Classic Rock 105.1 WGFM Cheboygan and 98.1 WGFN Glen Arbor" and that was it. Later added "107.1 WCKC Cadillac"

And for the AM dial... "Playing the music you remember. 1240 WCBY, Cheboygan" and then ABC News would start lol

I also listened to KHQ in the late 90s/early 2000s, but not as often as WGFM. Don't remember the IDs.

As for favorite commercials, I did a few in the late 90s. So, I believe those would be my favorite ;) lol

fmdxguy5678

Post by fmdxguy5678 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Back when I was a little, little kid in the 2000's, my mom would always have KHQ tuned in her car, as they were the only top 40 station at the time. In my dad's old Jeep, I recall hearing a lot of rock music which was probably the Zone. But most of those early radio memories for me revolve around KHQ.

WSRT 106.7 - You may have reached "The Peak", but you still struggle to climb the mountain of success.

Furthest FM Tropo Catch:
KEZO-FM 92.3 Omaha, NE
Recieved on 7/8/2018, 570.16 miles from Long Lake Township, MI

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:58 pm

I never listened to The Zone...I'm a classic rock and oldies type of guy. I listened to KHQ occasionally in the late 90s/early 2000s, but pretty much stopped when rap became a bigger part of the rotation. "Hits 106 KHQ"

oh, and "Lite 96 FM"

MisterGoodrich2U

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Does anyone remember 1340 WPZ with live jocks playing oldies and a mix of current hits?

Or 96.3 WMBN, "Michigan's Beautiful North" with Jim Scollin doing AM drive?

..... Jill Wagner is ssssoooooo hot!

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 pm

I went to Northern from 1986 to 1990. I remember having a few tapes but they've long since vanished. From what I recall the radio choices weren't that great. There was a really good AM Rock station that only lasted about a year, (1988/1989.) Also their was a country station with a really good DJ Elmer Aho, (I have a felling he's no longer with us.) The other station I remember was a syndicated oldies station, (mostly 60's and 70's song you never really hear anymore, Hot Smoke And Sasafrass for example.) The morning DJ was called Zippo In The Morning, (what a great name!)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:35 pm

I vaguely remember the old WKJF AM/FM in Cadillac when it positioned itself as a Lite Rock station. Really, it was more of an AC/Classic Hits hybrid. I still remember the smooth jazz music bed that would play after the "K-J-F...Weather!" intro. And yes, I remember hearing Tigers baseball on the station.

I have a somewhat better memory of "Hot 96.7...Lakes FM." Pretty solid CHR that sounded quite a bit like 104.5 Sunny FM in Muskegon/Grand Rapids at the time.

I remember being extremely agitated when one summer I discovered that WLZ-FM changed to "Lite 96" and WUPS dumped its Adult Top 40 format in favor of 70's music. (Bleeeech!) I didn't understand the flip at 96.7 MHz given the fact Cadillac already had the similarly formatted WKJF plus a pretty strong signal from Sunny 102 in Traverse City.

Power 102.3 in Big Rapids dumped CHR about one year later.

For teenagers and young adults residing in the Cadillac area, the FM dial must have been absolutely rotten from the mid 90's onward. The launch of The Zone at 95.5 and a brief return to Adult Top 40 for WUPS were the only bright spots. I know 105.9 & 106.7 were very fuzzy in the car in many areas.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:20 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 pm
I went to Northern from 1986 to 1990. I remember having a few tapes but they've long since vanished. From what I recall the radio choices weren't that great. There was a really good AM Rock station that only lasted about a year, (1988/1989.) Also their was a country station with a really good DJ Elmer Aho, (I have a felling he's no longer with us.) The other station I remember was a syndicated oldies station, (mostly 60's and 70's song you never really hear anymore, Hot Smoke And Sasafrass for example.) The morning DJ was called Zippo In The Morning, (what a great name!)

Elmer Aho is one of the greats, and is still broadcasting on 103 WFXD. You can catch his show Saturday nights @7:00. (Yes, they stream)

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:28 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:35 pm
I vaguely remember the old WKJF AM/FM in Cadillac when it positioned itself as a Lite Rock station. Really, it was more of an AC/Classic Hits hybrid. I still remember the smooth jazz music bed that would play after the "K-J-F...Weather!" intro. And yes, I remember hearing Tigers baseball on the station.

I have a somewhat better memory of "Hot 96.7...Lakes FM." Pretty solid CHR that sounded quite a bit like 104.5 Sunny FM in Muskegon/Grand Rapids at the time.

I remember being extremely agitated when one summer I discovered that WLZ-FM changed to "Lite 96" and WUPS dumped its Adult Top 40 format in favor of 70's music. (Bleeeech!) I didn't understand the flip at 96.7 MHz given the fact Cadillac already had the similarly formatted WKJF plus a pretty strong signal from Sunny 102 in Traverse City.

Power 102.3 in Big Rapids dumped CHR about one year later.

For teenagers and young adults residing in the Cadillac area, the FM dial must have been absolutely rotten from the mid 90's onward. The launch of The Zone at 95.5 and a brief return to Adult Top 40 for WUPS were the only bright spots. I know 105.9 & 106.7 were very fuzzy in the car in many areas.
Back when Sunny 102 was actually a decent station! Cadillac wouldn't get CHR again until 107.9 CDY came on (before, the closest CHRs were WKHQ, WCFX, and WMOM, all of which were fuzzy at best)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic