All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WWMN Sold?

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
fmdxguy5678

WWMN Sold?

Post by fmdxguy5678 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:38 pm

From Facebook:

A note to all of our Northern Mitten listeners:
As of 4/1/18, 106.3 fm will begin a new programming line up as part of an ownership change. The Mitten will continue to broadcast on 101.5 fm and online at themittenradio.com, TuneIn Radio and our Andriod App. We want to thank our listeners who have supported us on this venture and hope you will continue to listen via our stream and on 101.5 fm.

Listening to WWMN right now, hearing a Pistons game, and then heard a WJML weather forecast. If this is their new FM signal, where will 101.1 go? As of right now, they are also airing the Pistons.

I didn't see this coming at all.

WSRT 106.7 - You may have reached "The Peak", but you still struggle to climb the mountain of success.

Furthest FM Tropo Catch:
KEZO-FM 92.3 Omaha, NE
Recieved on 7/8/2018, 570.16 miles from Long Lake Township, MI

ADD in TC

Re: WWMN Sold?

Post by ADD in TC » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:48 pm

i was just going to post something about this.This was one of the stations i listened to the most,but i am not at all surprised about an ownership change.just surprised it was the WJML group.More likely this will never happen,but it would be nice to have 1210 flip to classic country abd be rebroadcast on 101.1.

fmdxguy5678

Post by fmdxguy5678 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:51 pm

ADD in TC wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:48 pm
i was just going to post something about this.This was one of the stations i listened to the most,but i am not at all surprised about an ownership change.just surprised it was the WJML group.More likely this will never happen,but it would be nice to have 1210 flip to classic country abd be rebroadcast on 101.1.
I may not be a country person, but I always think classic country in TC would be nice. Heck, if it works in Cheboygan, then surely it'd work here!

WSRT 106.7 - You may have reached "The Peak", but you still struggle to climb the mountain of success.

Furthest FM Tropo Catch:
KEZO-FM 92.3 Omaha, NE

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:44 pm

I thought Midwestern would use 106.3 as a simulcast of 580.

For classic country, I'd like to see Midwest Communications (owner of Duke FM) buy one of 92.3 or 99.3 and use it as a semi-simulcast of 93.5/99.7. It'll probably never happen (more likely Uncle Charlie takes their licenses away)

fmdxguy5678

Post by fmdxguy5678 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:55 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:44 pm
I thought Midwestern would use 106.3 as a simulcast of 580.

For classic country, I'd like to see Midwest Communications (owner of Duke FM) buy one of 92.3 or 99.3 and use it as a semi-simulcast of 93.5/99.7. It'll probably never happen (more likely Uncle Charlie takes their licenses away)
I think that if 101.1 goes, 580 or 1310 (more likely the latter because 101.1 wouldn't cover enough of 580's coverage area) will probably use it as a simulcast, because Midwestern does happen to have room for one more station.

Furthest FM Tropo Catch:
KEZO-FM 92.3 Omaha, NE

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:00 am

Listening to WWMN right now, hearing a Pistons game, and then heard a WJML weather forecast. If this is their new FM signal, where will 101.1 go? As of right now, they are also airing the Pistons.

I didn't see this coming at all.
This is probably a good pick up for the WJML folks. I wonder if this is a true sale or simply an LMA?

Per FCC rules, can 101.1 MHz be switched from a translator of an AM-band station to a translator of an FM-band station? If so, they should silence the waste of electricity known as AM 1210, assuming WWMN is in fact being sold to Mr. Yob's company.

I figured WWMN was built to be sold. It was evident that current ownership would be unable to complete in the highly competitive (and provincial) Traverse City media market with a standalone Class A signal. Did the station even have a SINGLE advertiser from the Traverse City area?

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:06 am

Sounds like AM 1210 & FM 101.1 may be signing off soon or switching to a different format. Would be interesting to see these guys make a go of a second format in the area, but I'm guessing that's not in the cards. It would not at all surprise me to simply see AM 1210 & FM 101.1 simply go off the air. Ideally, FM 101.1 should be sold and repurposed, and 1210 should go away for good.

Per FCC rules, can 101.1 MHz be repurposed as an FM translator?

From WJML's Facebook page:
We are excited to announce that we are boosting our power on a new FM channel. WJML can now be heard in Grand Traverse, Leelanau, Benzie, Wexford, Kalkaska, Antrim and part of Manistee County on 106.3FM. More power, bigger signal and always on! So, if you listen to WJML on AM 1210 or 101.1FM, tune your radio to 106.3FM!

https://www.facebook.com/WJMLRadio/

A similar announcement appears on the station's home page. Their online presence is fairly impressive, I must say. The operation looks pretty well oiled. This station might be able to make a little noise with time. For years and years, WJML has been an afterthought at best. Good to see new ownership breathing life into the station.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:06 am
Sounds like AM 1210 & FM 101.1 may be signing off soon or switching to a different format. Would be interesting to see these guys make a go of a second format in the area, but I'm guessing that's not in the cards. It would not at all surprise me to simply see AM 1210 & FM 101.1 simply go off the air. Ideally, FM 101.1 should be sold and repurposed, and 1210 should go away for good.

We are excited to announce that we are boosting our power on a new FM channel. WJML can now be heard in Grand Traverse, Leelanau, Benzie, Wexford, Kalkaska, Antrim and part of Manistee County on 106.3FM. More power, bigger signal and always on! So, if you listen to WJML on AM 1210 or 101.1FM, tune your radio to 106.3FM!

A similar announcement appears on the station's home page. Their online presence is fairly impressive, I must say. The operation looks pretty well oiled. This station might be able to make a little noise with time. For years and years, WJML has been an afterthought at best. Good to see new ownership breathing life into the station.
They are grossly exaggerating 106.3's coverage. Benzie and Leelanau coverage are very hit and miss. The station has almost no coverage at all in Beulah or Frankfort, due to terrain. At the Empire beach, to hear The Mitten, 101.5 was an easier catch.

And no, I don't believe you can repurpose a translator that was specifically paired with an AM.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:26 am

Did the station even have a SINGLE advertiser from the Traverse City area?
Yes Right Brain Brewery.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:16 pm

Well, one is better than none. :)

I know that WWMN tower site is not the best.

105.5 broadcasts from a site only two or three miles away and definitely suffers from terrain obstruction. I suspect this is even more true for 106.3 (lower licensed ERP).

There is rugged terrain between Cadillac and Interlochen. I'd be stunned if 106.3 delivers a usable signal to Cadillac.

101.1 is definitely stronger than 106.3 in TC proper.

The best of both worlds would be for WJML to keep 101.1 MHz and repurpose that as a translator for WWMN. However, if it's true that FCC rules don't allow that, then I guess that option is off the table.

Too bad the programming of The Mitten will no longer be accessible to TC-area listeners over the air. The playlist has become better crafted these past several months. Certainly a better sounding station than the rotten 93-9 The River here in Metro Detroit.

As far as AAA stations go, 101.5 sounds pretty darn good.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:46 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:29 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:06 am

They are grossly exaggerating 106.3's coverage. Benzie and Leelanau coverage are very hit and miss. The station has almost no coverage at all in Beulah or Frankfort, due to terrain. At the Empire beach, to hear The Mitten, 101.5 was an easier catch.

And no, I don't believe you can repurpose a translator that was specifically paired with an AM.
106.3 also has to deal with the 106.3 in Stephenson over in Benzie and Leelanau.

106.3 is hemmed in by WMXG, WWMK, and WGLM (WGLM isn't as much of an issue as the first two).

Could this mean a new format for 1210/101.1?

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:08 am

FWIW,101.1 comes in better than 106.3 on my digital bedside radio here in Acme Township.(just east of TC).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:02 am

Fmdxguy, translators don't count toward station ownership caps.

I forgot about WMXG. Does WMXG interfere with WWMN regularly in and around TC?

Northern either must be unwilling to part with 105.5 now or wants too much money for it. More licensed power and less co-channel interference problems than 106.3.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:08 am

106.3 WWMN would have been a good thing to pair with WGLM.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:37 am

I'm not so sure. Given proximity to WGER, WMXG and WKHQ, best you'd probably be able to do is a Class C2 from Wexford County. TC area signal strength would be comparable to what's there now, perhaps even a touch weaker.

Would the FCC tolerate Lakeview losing local service?

++++

Post by ++++ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm surprised that "106.3" isn't on the logo yet.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:35 pm

I meant to say with WWMK Onaway.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:14 pm

106.7 Gaylord would be a great signal for these guys. The WJML programming line-up is much stronger than what 106.7 featured during its ill-fated run with general talk programming.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Thu May 03, 2018 10:34 am

Not sure.but, it appears that 94.5 Wypv may be a part of the WJMl family of stations.Heard them in 'JML's TOH ID.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Sat May 12, 2018 6:52 pm

FWIW,I've also been hearing WHAK included in their TOH Id.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic