Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Tablet Advice Needed

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

Tablet Advice Needed

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 pm

I want to get my wife a new tablet. She's currently using her old Blackberry Playbook. It was a great device in its day, but it's getting more and more useless every day. About all she can use it for anymore is the camera.

Is there a decent tablet available in the lower price range $250 or less? Any advice?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: Tablet Advice Needed

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 21, 2019 10:27 pm

There are plenty of them that price range. I am using an 8in in Samsung that has worked great for four years.

I use Tom's guide to help find mobile devices. This is their tablet website, take a look at some of the reviews.
https://www.laptopmag.com/best-tablets? ... 1558491959

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Thanks. I'll read through that and see if I can make sense of it. I might have to enlist the help of one of our sons.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 21, 2019 11:23 pm

Best bang for your buck IMO is the Amazon Fire HD. 10-inch version sells for $165 without ads and the 8-inch version for just under $100. If you go with one, spend the extra $15 to get rid of the ads! Amazon has its own app store but it has much of what is in the google play store and it also can directly install APK files for apps that aren't in the store.

It isn't quite of the build quality of my older Lenovo tablet, but it certainly is faster.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 21, 2019 11:56 pm

Definitely calling one of the sons. I don't even know what any of this stuff means.

A restaurant near here advertises half price apps on Tuesdays.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:20 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 pm
I want to get my wife a new tablet. She's currently using her old Blackberry Playbook. It was a great device in its day, but it's getting more and more useless every day. About all she can use it for anymore is the camera.

Is there a decent tablet available in the lower price range $250 or less? Any advice?
Why, are you giving your Wife a headache :rollin Better ask Moses he’s an expert on tablets :rollin And your Family Doctor, But he’ll just tell you to take two tablets and call back in the morning. :rollin

Deleted User 15003

Post by Deleted User 15003 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm

Turkeytop, I have a bunch of writing tablets at home that I'll give you for free, Some are yellow with blue lines on them. Just tell me how many you need. I'll send them to you. All you have to do is pay for shipping and handling, but that's not all I'll send you some white tablets with red lines also, just pay separate shipping and handling.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:56 pm

A restaurant near here advertises half price apps on Tuesdays.
Excellent

What does the tablet need to do?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu May 23, 2019 10:28 pm

She needs it to have a decent camera. The one in her BlackBerry Playbook is excellent. It wants to have a nice, clear screen.

Other than that, about all she ever does is use google or maybe play a you tube video she finds for cooking or gardening etc.

She doesn't do e mail or social media.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:28 pm
She needs it to have a decent camera. The one in her BlackBerry Playbook is excellent. It wants to have a nice, clear screen.

Other than that, about all she ever does is use google or maybe play a you tube video she finds for cooking or gardening etc.

She doesn't do e mail or social media.
If the Amazon Fire has a camera, that's the way to go.

― Noam Chomsky

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 am

Does she have to get that from Amazon? She doesn't shop online and neither do I.

Has to come from Best Buy, Staples or Canadian Tire.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 24, 2019 4:15 pm

Spotted this one today.

RCA 8 "

Is it a real tablet, or just junk?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 24, 2019 5:58 pm

RCA Apollo is rated 4 of 5 consistently.

$60 at WalMart. That's a great deal.

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:05 am

iPad all the way...best I've ever had. Previously had Samsung tablets but you can't update the OS much on those to keep current with new apps being released.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 25, 2019 11:16 am

TheForce wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:05 am
iPad all the way...best I've ever had. Previously had Samsung tablets but you can't update the OS much on those to keep current with new apps being released.
That would probably exceed the $250. I've budgeted for it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic