All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Northern Michigan Radio Jingles/IDs

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
fmdxguy5678

Northern Michigan Radio Jingles/IDs

Post by fmdxguy5678 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 pm

I've posted two videos on YouTube featuring old jingles and IDs of Northern Michigan stations. Here's a link to the first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgHYOPs9nLE

And the second: which in my opinion isn't as good as the first, but there's some gems in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlqZgPyTAPo

I'll point out that I actually worked on the first video about a year ago. I didn't get it uploaded until months later, when I finally had a YouTube channel. I found the main jingle source for the second video right around last spring break.

WSRT 106.7 - You may have reached "The Peak", but you still struggle to climb the mountain of success.

Furthest FM Tropo Catch:
KDJS-FM 95.3 Willmar, Minnesota
Recieved on 7/3/2018, about 435 miles from Lake Township, MI

Deleted User 1225

Re: Northern Michigan Radio Jingles/IDs

Post by Deleted User 1225 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:03 pm

I recognize some of that material.. and that awful KC103 hat ! ug. I think I still have the equally awful KC-Country white/satin-line jacket in the attic.

Good stuff from long ago and far away.

Tim

fmdxguy5678

Post by fmdxguy5678 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Playswithtrucks wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:03 pm
I recognize some of that material.. and that awful KC103 hat ! ug. I think I still have the equally awful KC-Country white/satin-line jacket in the attic.

Good stuff from long ago and far away.

Tim
I think some of that audio was from your Soundcloud page, am I correct?

WSRT 106.7 - You may have reached "The Peak", but you still struggle to climb the mountain of success.

Furthest FM Tropo Catch:
KDJS-FM 95.3 Willmar, Minnesota
Recieved on 7/3/2018, about 435 miles from Lake Township, MI

Deleted User 1225

Post by Deleted User 1225 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 am

It could be. I had a lot more material up on Youtube but took it down a few months ago.

I'm glad somebody is enjoying it !

Tim

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 am

I'm a bit young for moat of those. I don't remember WMKC as "KC-103" or the jingle for KHQ.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:56 pm

Ah, the memories! WJML, WMBN, WKHQ, WMKC, WTCM, and WKPK all made it up to my home near Rapid River back in the day.

Would love to hear a audio montage of vintage Central UP stations: WFNN, WUUN, WBDN, WQXO, WKZY (as Z-97), the various frequencies of WMQT, WIMK before K-Rock, WJNR before Frog Country, and so on.

Eschew obfuscation.

Deleted User 1225

Post by Deleted User 1225 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Here's one I put together years ago - '79-83, has JML, WQXO, WTIQ, WMKC, a bit of KHQ (bad tape), TCM-FM, WFNN and WDBC. I recorded a lot of this from my Kenwood receiver directly to reel tape on a Pioneer deck from my room high atop Liz Nelson's rooming house in Manistique. This was done in the old days with splice tape and a razor blade.

https://soundcloud.com/user-333423569/n ... round-1980

Tim

WC8KCY wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:56 pm
Ah, the memories! WJML, WMBN, WKHQ, WMKC, WTCM, and WKPK all made it up to my home near Rapid River back in the day.

Would love to hear a audio montage of vintage Central UP stations: WFNN, WUUN, WBDN, WQXO, WKZY (as Z-97), the various frequencies of WMQT, WIMK before K-Rock, WJNR before Frog Country, and so on.

++++

Post by ++++ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Very, very nice. All of these!

The "it's 8pm at WJML or WTIQ..." seems to be a ripoff of WOKY Milwaukee at the time. "It's 8 p m at WOKY Milwaukee." I know 1150 WGOW Chatanooga did this same thing, as did (then) 1150 WYNE Appleton and (then) 1590 WQTC Two Rivers.

TIQ & QXO seemed to be clones of KHQ. As a CHR freak, I still wish JML and KPK were around. The production!!!!!
Too, WGRD and WKLQ were excellent from Grand Rapids.

Had a few JML Top30 charts from 1979 1980. Nice that these were out.

One station I do remember was Top40 105.1 in Cheboygan. I believe they fell and went to Gold 105. To think I had some/most of these taped and of course, erased over all of them.

Honestly, I can picture ANT of these above with the KISS F M notes sung to T-I-Q Q-X-O K-H-Q K-P-K K-L-Q G-R-D or fill in the blanks.
BTW, K H Q sounds horrid without jingles. I'm sorry.

Used to stop at Bunny Bread-Marquette. Gone now.

What is sad is all the people, good people, who have been replaced by today's sad state of radio.

Again, thank you both for the memories. The years go too fast!

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:44 am

Wow, nice! Glad to hear material from Stereo 100 WUUN, and the WFNN Fun 104 jingle. Great times!

Eschew obfuscation.

kager

Post by kager » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:24 am

It's really too bad that MW had to perform maintenance of a sort some time back, and 'trimmed' (or purged) this board of all posts prior to early 2015. Amoungst other things, there was a real treasure trove of posts related to northern Michigan's radio & TV glory days - with links to images, audio and video - that vaporized with that action.

Yes, there was flotsam, but alot of awesome was lost as well... glad to see some of you are bringing some of that back.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 am

kager wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:24 am
It's really too bad that MW had to perform maintenance of a sort some time back, and 'trimmed' (or purged) this board of all posts prior to early 2015. Amoungst other things, there was a real treasure trove of posts related to northern Michigan's radio & TV glory days - with links to images, audio and video - that vaporized with that action.

Yes, there was flotsam, but alot of awesome was lost as well... glad to see some of you are bringing some of that back.
Ahh...that explains a few things I couldn't find the other day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic