Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Daylight Savings Time, Keep it or get rid of it...

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
kager

Re: Daylight Savings Time, Keep it or get rid of it...

Post by kager » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:45 am

We seem to have lost many - if not all - of the previous twice-annual posts on this subject here on the BB.

I always liked this treatment of it:

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:08 am

Don’t forget to set your hourglass and your sundial a hour ahead tonight.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:10 am

KEEP IT!!!

Having multiple individual states within similar longitudinal zones with inconsistent times would be burdensome on our nation's economy.

Stopnswop2 - the Florida law has not yet taken effect; it requires approval by Congress.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/flori ... story.html

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:22 pm

It cracks me up that twice a year people whine like the world is coming to an end because they have to change the time on some clocks. These days most devices that tell time change themselves, computers, tablets, smart phones, hell my car even changes by itself. If changing some clocks is the biggest issue you have to deal with in your life, consider yourself lucky. If you simply feel your life is crumbing due to the time change, move to an area that doesn't change their time.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:43 pm

My problem isn't setting the clocks and whatnot. Its the fact that this practice is still happening. It's just a tired and old relic from the wars that really don't have a place in modern society. It just no longer makes sense. Studies have even shown that there are many negative health effects.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Get rid of it shouldn't have to change the clocks truth be told the sun should be setting at 8:30PM since Standard time is real time DST is fake time and isn't real time. Stop messing with the body clocks takes me weeks to get use to the time change end it it's outdated.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:16 pm

They should pass a nationwide law getting rid of it totally. It's up there with blue laws and having elections on Tuesday.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:55 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:43 pm
Or we could do what Florida did,
Permanently be in DST.

I would prefer that than to be in only standard time.
I personally don't care which one, but I would like to just not change anymore. Pick one or the other. I read on the 'net that many counties throughout the country are staying "neh" to changing today.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Standard time SUCKS.

Long evenings in the summer kick ass.

If anyone has serious health issues because of the time change, then I would submit that the root cause of said health issues is something far more serious than a one hour time shift.

Good lord - could ya imagine if Chicago or Boston were to remain on standard time all year long? Sunrise in July would occur shortly after 4 in the morning in those two major cities. :roll:

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:46 pm

I think the central time zone should move a little more east. Part of the UP is part of the central time zone. And the Detroit Tigers are in the AL Central Division...just sayin'!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:02 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:02 pm
If anyone has serious health issues because of the time change, then I would submit that the root cause of said health issues is something far more serious than a one hour time shift.
As many studies have suggested accidents and heart attack rates spike during the transition. That part is really not gonna matter where you live if there is a time change in your state. Why needlessly sacrifice health concerns over a few extra hours of daylight in the evening? Granted not everyone is effected negatively but some are. I would imagine those with sleeping disorders would benefit from not changing.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:37 pm

I have Narcolepsy, Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder, and Sleep Apnea.

Changing the clock by an hour really has no effect on me.

Now changing the clocks by 3+ hours might, but a whole 60 minutes....?
C'mon

Music is my life.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Me, I'd prefer DST year round.

SNS2, you have more stuff wrong than any 20 people I know put together. Even House would be challenged.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:50 pm

I would prefer year-round DST as well. Problem is that it would need to be adopted nation-wide to make it feasible. Should Michigan, for instance, adopt DST year-round, it would put us an hour ahead of states to our east that fall back to standard time in the winter. Michigan running an hour ahead of Maine would be pretty weird.

Then there's the issue of synchronizing broadcast network satellite feeds. Assuming the Eastern sat feeds reverted to standard time in the winter months, affiliates in Eastern states remaining on DST would get the live prime-time feed from 9pm to midnight. Perhaps not so much an issue these days as prime time shows could be pre-fed to stations over the internet.

I remember a few years in the mid-70's when Michigan delayed the switch to DST behind the rest of the country for about a month over concerns about kids walking to school in the dark. Daytime network shows aired an hour early but most affiliates tape-delayed the prime time schedule to air from 8-11pm for the sake of consistency. From what I've heard it was quite an adventure in station control rooms where network shows were constantly being recorded with tight turnarounds. A machine failure or bad stretch of tape could make the evening quite interesting.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:03 pm
Me, I'd prefer DST year round.

SNS2, you have more stuff wrong than any 20 people I know put together. Even House would be challenged.
Thanks for reminding me of my miserable life.
Sigh

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic