Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Washington Post Praises Gov. Whitmer's Gas Tax Proposal

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 4520

Washington Post Praises Gov. Whitmer's Gas Tax Proposal

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 am

The Michigan governor’s gas-tax hike is a model plan for other states to follow

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 7072121b05

Deleted User 14935

Re: Washington Post Praises Gov. Whitmer's Gas Tax Proposal

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:38 am

Wow! Look at the News source, The Liberal media is hard at work this week. I just love the Liberal Media and I thought they were on vacation.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 am

Shocker, the liberal Bezos Post supports tax increases.

Meanwhile, they:

1) Don't bother to state that the gas tax increase is intended to be used for things other than roads but is being sold on the guise that it is completely for roads.

2) Extend the incorrect narrative that a 367 day implementation is two years, which is patently false.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:28 am

A road tax increase would be bad for brick and mortar businesses. Amazon might see a slight increase in costs due to road tax but nothing like the negative effects on brick and mortar stores.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Also conveniently left out of the article is Whitmer's plan to partially offset the tax increase by doubling the Earned Income Tax Credit from 6% of the federal credit to 12%. So the new gas tax isn't really raising $2.5 billion if some of that money is just being redistributed to the poor.

I'd be curious to know how much doubling the EIC would cost the state. I haven't been able to track down any numbers.

What this whole thing looks like to me is a scheme to take money from middle and upper class vehicle-drivers and redistribute it to the poor instead of using it to fix the roads.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Bingo, As they used to say “Sock it to me” The rich again will have to pay, This time for “Fix The Damn Roads” all part of the Liberal Agenda.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:50 pm
Bingo, As they used to say “Sock it to me” The rich again will have to pay, This time for “Fix The Damn Roads” all part of the Liberal Agenda.
And they’ll be in bread lines and cardboard boxes tomorrow too right?

Seriously... they won’t even notice... well I take that back.... one less tribute to Howard Schultz per year...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 pm

If she is resorting to this type of funding plan, we can only point to the Republican legislature who has screwed up sensible funding in this state for so long that the governor is being pushed into fixing things in a very roundabout way.

God help us if we actually adequately funded our safety net, education and roads as a part of a healthy state. I blame these backwoods ultra rural state representatives. That, and the Mackinac Policy Center.

We are not a functioning government at the moment.

Ponder this: why are an overwhelming majority of the billionaires in this country living in the states with the highest tax rates?

I suspect it's because they don't want to live in squalor like we do.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:13 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 pm
If she is resorting to this type of funding plan, we can only point to the Republican legislature who has screwed up sensible funding in this state for so long that the governor is being pushed into fixing things in a very roundabout way.

God help us if we actually adequately funded our safety net, education and roads as a part of a healthy state. I blame these backwoods ultra rural state representatives. That, and the Mackinac Policy Center.

Ponder this: why are an overwhelming majority of the billionaires in this country living in the states with the highest tax rates?

You’re absolutely right TC, In saying “We are not a functioning government at the moment” And You know what? I Personally don’t think we ever will be.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:13 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 pm

You’re absolutely right TC, In saying “We are not a functioning government at the moment” And You know what? I Personally don’t think we ever will be.
I’ve heard it said that we were never supposed to be.. the thinking being that if we can’t get it together too much then we can’t make too many stupid decisions. So the entire system is designed to be hard to have function completely. Aside from the postwar period can anybody think of another time it really functioned “well”?

This isn’t a new problem.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:22 pm

I think there are many more functional states than ours. Michigan is the bottom of the heap.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Bad roads cost Michigan drivers average of $648 a year in additional vehicle expenses, study says

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/03/bad- ... -says.html

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:52 pm

TheForce wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:17 pm
Bad roads cost Michigan drivers average of $648 a year in additional vehicle expenses, study says

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/03/bad- ... -says.html
Don't let audiophile see that...

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:15 pm

That report is laughable. I have lost one tire in 25 years due to a pot hole.

I could maybe buy this study if it included salt.
Last edited by audiophile on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:15 pm
That report is laughable. I have lost one tire in 25 years due to a pot hole.

I could maybe buy this study if it included salt.
I keep having to replace suspension parts at an alarming rate... I seem to find lots of potholes here in Wayne County. If you aren’t in the Detroit Metro area your mileage will greatly vary with the report. But with lots of different parts to go wrong a part at a time seems worse than it is. 500 bucks could be a ball joint and a tie rod for example...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic