All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

98.5 WUPS

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ftballfan

Re: 98.5 WUPS

Post by ftballfan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:26 pm

syntheticexctasy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm
107.7 the bay out of alpena gets out pretty well too. can be heard all the way down to standish even though it's nothing special.

WUPS has always had aweseome coverage, as does WIOG and WUGN. WKQZ gets out really well for how low powered it is too (I can listen usually all the way up to about M32 on M33). WIOG has gotten worse in recent years; I remember receiving it clearly in Hillman many times as a kid. WUGN, I don't really listen to; Just know that it's there almost every time I hit "seek" anywhere north of flint.

WGFM is awful nowadays - They used to have a great sig, but not they're very limited (southward coverage from cheboygan doesn't seem to work as well - Signal is lame in both Hillman and Mio as I found this last week)
About ten years ago, WGFM moved from south of Cheboygan with 100kW/186m HAAT to the WFUP tower near Vanderbilt with 43kW/295m HAAT.

Speaking of good signals, 99.9 the Wave from Rogers City can be heard quite a bit of the time in Manistee.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:16 pm

The problem for WGFM as I remember is protecting WSBW, originally in Sister Bay, WI, which was changed to nearby Ephraim, WI because of artificial market designations.

The problem with directional antennas is that it is impossible to design a DA that exactly matches the requirements, because radio waves are coherent. If you just protect that one station with most DAs, the field ratio is 1.000 for usually only one, possibly two, azimuths. All other azimuths are less than 1.000 regardless of whether full ERP is possible in those directions. An honestly measured pattern if it were something like WHNN's pattern might improve the signal, if the actual measured lobes were near full ERP and the nulls as shallow as possible, and the lobes all go toward population centers. Coherent waves and antennas have a pattern symmetry that is like the shape of the antenna. Three panel bays on three sides of a tower will have a trifolar symmetry. A superturnstile like a Low VHF transmitting antenna has a tetrafolar shape and pattern. The patterns are approved if a model shows a DA will fill a certain percentage of the pattern envelope and meet the protection requirements.

This link makes a superturnstile antenna look more nondirectional by using dB scale polar pattern rather than a field ratio polar pattern. In fact, the nulls are close to 3 dB, close to only half the ERP in those four directions.

http://www.highgain.co.kr/admin/Uploade ... -SP(1).pdf

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:13 pm

If I recall correctly, WSBW had its COL changed because another station (106.9 WLGE) changed its COL from Ephraim to Baileys Harbor, leaving Ephraim without a "first local service"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic