All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

98.5 WUPS

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
TheForce

98.5 WUPS

Post by TheForce » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 am

Soooo, en route to Houghton Lake (which was a wasted trip) I decided to tune the FM dial to WUPS. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at all the 80's music...Madonna, Hall & Oates, Billy Joel, John Mellencamp, Culture Club, etc. I'm gonna keep a watch on them and see how it is. The RDS in the car listed the music info, although it was truncated. The online stream doesn't display any song information and I haven't found a playlist on their website yet.

http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/WUPSFM

As I was looking on their website I see they air CMU sports. I'm not a fan of sports being on a music oriented station.

Also here is a pretty good article from 1999 about WHGR and WJGS!

http://www.michiguide.com/historywhgrwjgs/

Colonel Flagg

Re: 98.5 WUPS

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm still chuckling over the fact that they feel the need to pay Fred Jacobs to pick the music. Seriously? If you need that much "help" to program a station up north, you're probably in the wrong business. I figured ol' Fred would be too busy to sit around making music logs, with his latest cash cow, the DASH Conference, going on, but maybe not.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Fred and Mike Chires are long term friends. Jacobs brings the whole package, liners imaging etc. It's a pretty excellent package. Listening to train wrecks like The Mitten (which also had consulting)- the difference is clear.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:07 pm

So you're saying this is a battle between two consultants?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:45 pm

audiophile wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:07 pm
So you're saying this is a battle between two consultants?
I don't think they are competing. I think the Mitten has become a Manistee station with a repeater in TC.

KLT just keeps plugging along, and I am betting The Bear and WUPS will do well against the other offerings if they haven't already.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:54 am

If TC is the repeater, then why is it mentioned first in station branding?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:24 am

106.3 will never be able to pull in anything more than bread crumbs in terms of ad revenue in the Grand Traverse area.

Heard WUPS while up north. Music is on point. Processing is good. Jocks are decent. I don't care for the voiceovers; the imaging voice sounds far too pukey for my liking! The prior V/O guy they had was much better.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:23 am

The formatics on WUPS have been getting better of late, and I'm hearing a greater variety of music styles in the playlist as well! Solid line-up of on-air personalities, too.

This is how the ill-fated classic hits format previously found on WLMI in Lansing should've sounded. If they executed the format similarly to WUPS, they'd still be around.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Sorry for bumping this topic, but I just spent the weekend in Traverse City and I was listening to WUPS. I used to listen to them in college at CMU. I started listening to them just north of Lansing and had them locked in all the way to TC with no fading.

I'm really surprised how far this station reaches. I realize they are 100 kw, but even in hilly Northern Michigan, it seems like it's local "everywhere", which seems unusual for an FM station.

Are there any other Michigan stations with as much signal coverage?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 pm
Probably not. Of all the 100kw stations in Michigan, it probably wastes the least amount of signal out over the water.

The only ones that come close are WHNN 96.1 and WUGN 99.7

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:37 pm

That's a monster signal.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:58 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 pm
Reception of signals has always been dependent on the cochannel and adjacent channel stations (and now translators) which are near it. And of course the tuner or receiver and antenna that you use.

WWTV-FM/WKJF-FM/WJZQ 92.9 used to be on the WWTV Channel 9 tower near Dighton and Tustin, near the highest elevation point in the Lower Peninsula. It had the highest COR AMSL in the state, originally 900 feet HAAT. The closest 92.9 was WNDU-FM/WNDV in South Bend, IN. There were a few 92.7 stations that had to be 105 miles away, and 93.1 stations that had to be 170 or 180 miles away. Until CFCO-1 92.9 came on the air in Chatham, ON, it could be heard with a selective tuner and 10 element FM beam antenna at 157 miles on a regular basis in SE MI. Before WDRQ moved from the WJBK-TV tower and was just 20 kW, a well oriented wire dipole would receive it. More and more stations added and upgraded. WKJF-FM moved closer to Traverse City, and WLMI Grand Ledge moved to 92.9 with a TL in Lansing. That pretty much eliminated regular reception in most of the Southern Lower Peninsula.

Old WWTV-FM/WKJF-FM site after it went from 900 to 1020 feet HAAT, to preserve Full Class C status, in 1985.

https://fccdata.org/?facid=5207&appid=77296&i=2

WJFM/WBCT 93.7 was once 500 kW and was often heard for hundreds of miles in areas where no other 93.7 operated on a fairly regular basis. Then they were dropped into Frankenmuth and Harrietta. The allotment is only protected as a 50 kW/150 m HAAT Class B facility. It has managed to preserve its 320 kW facility after all the DTV antenna shuffling.

Service over water is not always wasted, where service is provided on the far shore, but most of these frequencies have been duplicated on the far shore. Service across smaller bays and lakes is LOS to the opposite shore, and exceeds F(50,50) prediction.
Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:56 pm

99.7 WUGN gives WUPS a run for its money with regard to areal coverage over land.

WUGN reaches greater Lansing and greater Flint with ease and can also be heard quite reliably across the eastern suburbs of Grand Rapids (Ada, Cascade Twp, Grand Rapids Twp). To the north, its signal make it to Roscommon and Cadillac.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:23 pm

It amazes me that a signal I have received in the Irish Hills (WUGN) is just as easily receivable in Roscommon and Cadillac.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:12 am

Back in the 90s, when the WGFM tower was located in Topinabee, it ran at 100kw (I don't know the height), and I *think* covered as far south as Grayling, maybe even Houghton Lake.

As for UPS, if the wind is blowing just right, you can faintly pick it up in Cheboygan.

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:15 pm

When traveling I also found 94.5 the Moose(Saginaw xmitter in Hemlock I believe) has a pretty good signal and 102.5 WIOG pretty strong too, although not as strong as I remember years ago....For a class B? 98.1 KCQ covers pretty good territory....

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:40 pm

The tower closest to Topinabee belongs to the ISD as I recall. The WGFM tower was near Hackleburg Rd. several miles East of there. The WCEN tower is near Coleman. Both were built to preserve Class C status at the time. They were both on short AM towers originally.

http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=45.571 ... 97&zoom=10

http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=43.533 ... 80&zoom=10

WUPS as WJGS was originally on one of the WHGR towers.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/c ... r_id=81703

Many stations were allotted with old contour overlap rules, and were on AM towers with lower ERP and HAAT. All classes were protected to the 60 dBu contour. That is how many stations became "short spaced", when they changed the rules. New rules created the short spacing, not the stations (except rarely with waivers for various reasons and now under Section 73.215).

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm

107.7 the bay out of alpena gets out pretty well too. can be heard all the way down to standish even though it's nothing special.

WUPS has always had aweseome coverage, as does WIOG and WUGN. WKQZ gets out really well for how low powered it is too (I can listen usually all the way up to about M32 on M33). WIOG has gotten worse in recent years; I remember receiving it clearly in Hillman many times as a kid. WUGN, I don't really listen to; Just know that it's there almost every time I hit "seek" anywhere north of flint.

WGFM is awful nowadays - They used to have a great sig, but not they're very limited (southward coverage from cheboygan doesn't seem to work as well - Signal is lame in both Hillman and Mio as I found this last week)

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Since they went to the 890 foot tower, WUPS has had an excellent signal. The old tower further East, near Maple Valley Rd. and E. West Branch Rd., was 500 feet and was good, but nowhere near as good as the new tower. The old WHGR-AM tower site was probably not very good by comparison. WHNN, despite being directional, and WLEW-FM also get out well. The WHNN DA has four lobes with shallow nulls.

http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=44.329 ... 92&zoom=10

https://fccdata.org/?facid=37458&appid=169875&i=2

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:52 pm

WTCM-FM is certainly no slouch in the coverage department. Neither is WCMU-FM. Where I live about 20 miles north of Ann Arbor, I can very often get a listenable signal from WCMU even when the rest of the FM band is dead. WKJC often makes it down here in the summertime as well even though much of their signal goes out over the water. And CJQM-FM in the Sault is a giant as well - they regularly make it as far south as Gaylord.

I've also gotten WUGN in crystal-clear as far away as Sandusky, Ohio. I would venture to say they probably have the best FM signal in lower Michigan. I can't think of too many other signals I have received crystal-clear on an ordinary car radio in both Coldwater and Alpena.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic