Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Holy shit, WNIC!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14888

Re: Holy shit, WNIC!

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:11 pm

The Big 104 needs to add 90’s material once again, I think it’s well overdue this 80’s stuff is killing me, I used to like “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell even seen them in concert now I can’t stand them, Please Lord God no more “Tainted Love” time to take a pill.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Last time WOMC added 90s, the ratings suffered.
It's too early. They are trying to push newer music before it's time. They only added 80s music in 2010, and up until 2014 they were still playing a LOT of 60s music.
(The original reason for going all Christmas late 2013 was to update the playlist, but it's popularity stuck)

2020 would be the year to add in 90s.
Last edited by stopnswop2 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Doug FM already wore out Tainted Love a decade ago. I agree it's time to let it go, lol

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:18 pm

KSFI in Salt Lake City earned a 21.8 share. So, WNIC can only lay claim to #2 honors so far. :)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:13 pm

Take this with a grain of salt (not all ratings data is apples-to-apples given advent of PPM within last 10 - 12 years), but that 17.9 share that WNIC earned during the holiday survey period is the best Average Quarter Hour share any Detroit radio station has earned for a full ratings survey period since -- get this -- 1976!!!

(Source: radioinsight.com)

Granted, until 10 or 12 years ago, all ratings surveys were measured on a quarterly basis as opposed to the four-week increments utilized under the PPM methodology.

Averaging the four most recent ratings surveys gives WNIC about a 10.5 share in ages 6+, which is still damn good.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:19 pm

That is truly quite impressive, I don’t listen to them but as for as professional opinion that’s incredible.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:59 am

Yes, WNIC's Christmas playlist is trash, but since nobody else flipped everybody had no choice but to listen to them for their Holiday music craving.

Next year, WOMC needs to flip earlier than 2 weeks before.
The reason it has not done as well as NIC in the past years is because all the Christmas music listeners were already tuned to WNIC by the time OMC flips, so they don't know about it.
They also don't help themselves by doing no promotion at all and keep the fact they are flipping secret. In '16 and '17 they completely kept their flip date a surprise and tried to say they were not even going to flip.
Surprises don't draw attention. These silly stunts only hurt them. 🙄
Isn't this common sense... or have I stumbled into an alternate reality called "wtf land" ? Lol, sigh.

WNIC is always on FOX 2 promoting their flip to Christmas music.
WOMC should try something like that out.
Last edited by stopnswop2 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:06 am

Same issue with The Breeze.
They do NO promotion.
They don't post anything useful on their social media pages either. They just repost random news articles that WOMC and WWJ posted.

All the money they are saving by not hiring any talent besides Sandy Kovach could be used for commercial spots, newspaper articles. Heck they can advertise themselves for free on the other Detroit Entercom radio stations or on the CBS TV network.

And I used to think iHeart was run by monkeys...?

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:06 am
Same issue with The Breeze.
They do NO promotion.
They don't post anything useful on their social media pages either. They just repost random news articles that WOMC and WWJ posted.

All the money they are saving by not hiring any talent besides Sandy Kovach could be used for commercial spots, newspaper articles. Heck they can advertise themselves for free on the other Detroit Entercom radio stations or on the CBS TV network.

And I used to think iHeart was run by monkeys...?
Did you miss the dozens of billboards all over town?

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:49 am

Hey, Sam G., Do we call 1-800-CALL SAM if we need advice? :rollin
[quote]

Oh ha ha, lmao!!
Well at least funnier than the Green Eggs & Ham and Uncle Sam jokes I get told, lol.

Are you Bob S. Btw? [quote]

Yes, I am...frequent caller to JJ's former "lunch request hour." I don't post as often on his Facebook page as I used to, mainly due to his "Trump-Love" obsession...Maybe Trump will recruit JJ to be his new "Chief of Staff?!" :rolleyes

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:08 am

I think a lot of WNIC's Holiday ratings comes from restaurants and business that have the station on, If an employee has a people meter thats 32 quarter hours for an 8 hour day. A few years back in a diner I saw a waitress change the radio station to WNIC and tell another waitress that you get better tips when the holiday music is on!

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:42 am

The fearless BuzzBoard leader pondered something as he wrote:The funny thing is - in both Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo - all-Christmas earned unimpressive ratings.
Both diary markets where Christmas switches have historically not had the same immediate impact. PPM shows that people really do switch to listen to Christmas music... and switch off when it's over. WNIC will be back to a 4 before you can say "WNIC will be back to a 4."

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Silvio Dante wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:08 am
I think a lot of WNIC's Holiday ratings comes from restaurants and business that have the station on, If an employee has a people meter thats 32 quarter hours for an 8 hour day. A few years back in a diner I saw a waitress change the radio station to WNIC and tell another waitress that you get better tips when the holiday music is on!
You’re absolutely right, I’ve been in a ton of places during the Holidays and most did have 100.3 on in the background, These Holiday numbers are a good thing up until the Holidays are finished after that it’s back to reality, That’s just my take on it.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:12 pm

I wonder what would happen if a station were to play Christmas music all year round.

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 pm

[quote[Both diary markets where Christmas switches have historically not had the same immediate impact. PPM shows that people really do switch to listen to Christmas music... and switch off when it's over. WNIC will be back to a 4 before you can say "WNIC will be back to a 4."[/quote]

You are right about PPM doing a much better job of measuring impact of seasonal programming, but back in the day, Star 105.7 in G.R. always used to pick up a couple extra shares in the fall book, sometimes three. Would not be uncommon at all to see their ratings rise 75% in fall. Now, they are dead flat.

I think secular Christmas music is old hat for West Michigan listeners. Star 105.7 was one of the first stations in the country to do annual extended Christmas music marathons. They've been doing them since 2000 or 2001, I believe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic