All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/25 at 4:40p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Major Market Talent in Petoskey/Traverse City

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Radio Sucks

Major Market Talent in Petoskey/Traverse City

Post by Radio Sucks » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:08 am

Former Detroit radio "legend in his own mind" Jim Harper is filling in mornings at Lite 96? Bet he took a pay cut..

Listen to Lite 96.3 Online

audiophile

Re: Major Market Talent in Petoskey/Traverse City

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:06 am

I'm sure he's doing it as a favor for the current morning host...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Who?

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:54 pm

I wouldn't necessarily call him "legend in his own mind." Mr. Harper had one of the most successful morning drive runs in Detroit radio history. He earned seven figures annually doing a morning show in a city that is not New York, Chicago or Los Angeles.

The fact his successor at WMGC - the very likable & talented Chris Edmonds - was reduced to a time & temperature liner reader is one of the biggest absurdities in recent Detroit radio history. Would love to know the identity of the asshole who made that programming call.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:31 am

The Tim Moore era of 106 KHQ was filled with talent from larger markets. It sounded as good as any Detroit station for the time.

99 WJML was also had top-notch talent in their heyday.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:04 pm

From the sounds of things,Mr Harper is once again filling in for a shift on Lite 96.3.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:54 pm
I wouldn't necessarily call him "legend in his own mind." Mr. Harper had one of the most successful morning drive runs in Detroit radio history. He earned seven figures annually doing a morning show in a city that is not New York, Chicago or Los Angeles.
It was a mix of some talent at the right time, the right sell job on the right people, and radio being on top at the time. The large payrolls there at the time were not realistic nor sustainable, and were paid for eventually by the debtors. Almond used to come and go from work in a company paid limo.

Harper's success at 'NIC was not duplicated at 'MJC, and there began the slide. It was the entire 'NIC "package" that was successful, not the least of which was Alan Almond, and later, to a degree, Johnny Williams. They had the female 25-54 sewn up solid at the time.....competitors were wasting electricity. 'NIC recognized it and made the best of it, but it would not last.

Harper knew how to read a room....he was good at 'being one of the girls'.....just a hair's breadth into being a 'guy' in the role. He fitted the fantasy pretty well. As a PD, he trained the staff to relate to the audience well....I recall he had posted a bunch of photos around the air studio of plain-Jane, soccer-mom types.....rather than dream girls and models. He continually stressed to the others that these are the people they are talking to.

Kind of an odd duck, though.....very black and white, no shades of grey. Had to keep a distance in order to keep the 'aura' going.

He lasted longer than a typical flash in the pan, but had a lot of similarities. Petoskey surprises me....it's not a great place to end up, talking to a lot of water, snow, and pine cones. He probably got bored and had an opportunity. Who am I to question what he is doing in his 'golden' (and not Lorraine :rollin ) years.

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:54 pm
The fact his successor at WMGC - the very likable & talented Chris Edmonds - was reduced to a time & temperature liner reader is one of the biggest absurdities in recent Detroit radio history. Would love to know the identity of the asshole who made that programming call.
Chris, on the other hand, was everything Harper was not.....over the air and in person very genuine and very likable and a good guy. No pretenses, nothing made up....what you see is what you got. Had a decent career, but they are all riding the demise of radio down.

Chris, if you are reading this, when do I get my license plate? :wink:

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic