Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Will President Trump shut it down or cave?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 14803

Will President Trump shut it down or cave?

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Will we have a Government Shutdown? or will the President cave to the Dems? This could be the last chance to get funding for the wall.

Deleted User 24

Re: Will President Trump shut it down or cave?

Post by Deleted User 24 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:49 pm

I thought Mexico was supposed to pay for it. That's what he promised.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:08 pm

No matter what party you are loyal to, holding up funding to run the government over this silly wall is absurd.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Shut it down. That'll teach those Mexicans.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Circle Seven wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:08 pm
No matter what party you are loyal to, holding up funding to run the government over this silly wall is absurd.
I don't agree. That "wall" was the cornerstone of T Rump's election campaign. It's a big part of why he got elected. If he caves it will be his "read my lips" moment. Many in his base will abandon him.

Like a winter snowfall, A "Government Shutdown" isn't anywhere near the calamity the media makes it out to be. SSI checks still go out, food stamps still get sent, military still gets paid and the "non essential" government employees that get sent home get their back pay.

Frankly, if it's "non essential" why is it there in the first place?

There was a 21 day shut-down in '95/'96. We survived.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Trump doesn't understand that a shutdown represents failure. In collective bargaining we always say "Any damned fool can bargain their way to a strike. It takes skill to get to an agreement."

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:17 pm
Circle Seven wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:08 pm
I don't agree. That "wall" was the cornerstone of T Rump's election campaign. It's a big part of why he got elected. If he caves it will be his "read my lips" moment. Many in his base will abandon him.

Like a winter snowfall, A "Government Shutdown" isn't anywhere near the calamity the media makes it out to be. SSI checks still go out, food stamps still get sent, military still gets paid and the "non essential" government employees that get sent home get their back pay.

Frankly, if it's "non essential" why is it there in the first place?

There was a 21 day shut-down in '95/'96. We survived.
You’re right, if he caves it could cost him the re-election in 2020, that was the campaign promise that got him in, so I say shut it down and fight for that funding now, if he’s going to do it well then get it done and stop pussyfooting around.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:32 pm

House just passed a bill with the 5 Billion included....

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 pm

zzand wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:32 pm
Cool.

Have the Senate bring it to the floor and if the Dems filibuster, the shut down is on them.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 pm
zzand wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:32 pm
Cool.

Have the Senate bring it to the floor and if the Dems filibuster, the shut down is on them.
The President already claimed the shutdown as his own. Said he'll be proud to have it on him.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:05 pm

It will be the fault of the Senate if they don’t pass it not Trump, Looks like the shutdown is now more of a possibility, it’s in the hands of the Dems.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:10 pm

“If I don’t get what I want, I’m gonna have a temper tantrum and shut down the government” isn’t exactly putting anything “in the hands of the dems.”

“I warned you that if you don’t give me what I want, I’m gonna blame you” isn’t putting anything “in the hands of the dems.”

“Mommy, if you don’t give me that lollipop, I’m gonna cry and tell people how terrible you are” isn’t exactly putting anything “in the hands of Mommy”.

This isn’t how leaders behave.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:30 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:10 pm
“If I don’t get what I want, I’m gonna have a temper tantrum and shut down the government” isn’t exactly putting anything “in the hands of the dems.”

“I warned you that if you don’t give me what I want, I’m gonna blame you” isn’t putting anything “in the hands of the dems.”

“Mommy, if you don’t give me that lollipop, I’m gonna cry and tell people how terrible you are” isn’t exactly putting anything “in the hands of Mommy”.

This isn’t how leaders behave.
He isn’t a leader...

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Clearly.

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 am

I hope he is a two-term president... and that his second term will be a prison term.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic