Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is Kroger starting a price war in Metro Detroit?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Is Kroger starting a price war in Metro Detroit?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Holy crap. I could not believe some of the specials at Kroger today.

Choice t-bone steaks in the family pack for $3.99 per lb.
Eights packs of Pepsi products for $1.99 (16.9 oz bottles).
Six packs of large roll Brawny paper towels for $3.49.
8 oz. bags of shredded cheese for $0.99.

They've been doing some really good Saturday-only specials for a while now. Some of the specials noted above were today only whereas others were three-day deals or part of the weekly ad.

The steaks were actually of good quality and had a sell-by date of the 15th. So, relatively fresh!

Also, I really like the Kroger brand waffles, which have carried a regular price of $1.29 per box for a few months now. (The mediocre Meijer-brand waffles are priced at $1.79 per box).

I should also add that when Meijer puts its grade A boneless chicken breast on sale, it's usually $2.49 per pound. Kroger usually has it for $1.99, $1.88 or even $1.77 per pound. Kroger also seems to put theirs on sale more often than Meijer.

I am not sure to whom Kroger is reacting. Aldi? Meijer? Costco? Some or all of the above? This is by far the most competitive I've seen them on pricing locally.

Arthur Mometer

Re: Is Kroger starting a price war in Metro Detroit?

Post by Arthur Mometer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:21 pm

One gallon Kroger Milk $1.19, down 0.10 from last week.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:43 am

I find Kroger Pricey, Meijer and Walmart are more convenient for me, plus I don't have to use one of those damn shoppers cards. I'd have investigate, as The Toledo area market is different then Detroit .

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:01 pm

One of the posts that were accidentally purged as a result of the server changeover speculated that Kroger was trying to match Walmart on certain items.

On many items, especially private label items (which includes milk), Kroger is now less expensive than Meijer in numerous instances.

For brand name products, it's a mixed bag in terms of Kroger vs. Meijer. I'd have to say Meijer still has the edge there. For my needs, Kroger does seem to have the better sale circular a little more often than not.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:01 pm
One of the posts that were accidentally purged as a result of the server changeover speculated that Kroger was trying to match Walmart on certain items.

On many items, especially private label items (which includes milk), Kroger is now less expensive than Meijer in numerous instances.

For brand name products, it's a mixed bag in terms of Kroger vs. Meijer. I'd have to say Meijer still has the edge there. For my needs, Kroger does seem to have the better sale circular a little more often than not.
And Kroger meat (steaks in particular) are heads and shoulder above either Meijer or Wal-Mart quality wise. A lot of the time I can find choice that is border line prime at Kroger.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:42 pm
And Kroger meat (steaks in particular) are heads and shoulder above either Meijer or Wal-Mart quality wise. A lot of the time I can find choice that is border line prime at Kroger.
You've noticed that, too, eh? I pounce on their ribeye specials!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Kroger wants to get you in the door now, so you’ll make them the first stop for Thanksgiving shopping. They do this every year about this time. Then, come January, prices shoot up across the board.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:05 am

sounds about right

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 pm

If they keep selling USDA choice t-bones for $3.99 per lb - I'll keep coming back.

A few Saturdays ago, they had wild caught sockeye salmon at the full service seafood counter for $4.99 per lb (normally $12.99 per lb).

I agree with what some of you have said about Meijer's steaks. I've had some decent steaks from Meijer, but it seems to me their alleged C.A.B. steaks are no better in quality (and in some cases, slightly less in quality) than other stores' USDA choice steaks.

SoupySez

Post by SoupySez » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:01 pm

That may have been my post. I had said that in Western Wayne County the price of milk between Walmart and Kroger had dropped as low as $1.19, at Kroger a few weeks back. This has been going for maybe a year now. My wife and first came across this at the Walmart on Belleville Rd in Belleville/Van Buren Twp back then. At the Walmart about 2 miles up Belleville Rd at Michigan Ave in Canton, it was the same. And the same for the Kroger right across the street. At that time milk was maybe $1.79 and continuing to drop. Now, those lower prices are in effect at the Canton Walmart On Ford Rd, near I-275 and the Kroger further east in Westland. Meijer got into the act for awhile, but has since had their milk going for $1.99 lately. Don't really know if it was a price war or the manufacturers were behind the drop. Lower prices certainly helps us. My wife is a big milk drinker, me, not so much.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic