I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Old School 7&4

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:49 am

Yes. I'm saying, had 29&8 had their own news department, the station might still be a stand alone operation.



User avatar
TheForce
Posts: 993
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by TheForce » Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 am

I find the northern Michigan market to be an interesting one, a relatively low populated region that covers a vast area. 9&10 does have the news, morning, day, evening, and night. 7&4 don't even have a noon broadcast. 29&8 have essentially ZERO news. Maybe that would be different if this were a more populated market, I don't know.



kager
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: GPS lost

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by kager » Thu May 10, 2018 9:31 am

According to their online schedule, 29&8 feature live local news M-F @ 6:30pm & 11:00pm. Nothing mornings or weekends.


"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:49 am

I don't know about 6:30, but 11:00 is pre-recorded. Uses the same set as 7&4.



ftballfan
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Manistee, MI

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by ftballfan » Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 pm

organman95 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:49 am
I don't know about 6:30, but 11:00 is pre-recorded. Uses the same set as 7&4.
I thought the news on 29&8 were taped on a separate set



organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:36 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 pm
I thought the news on 29&8 were taped on a separate set
No. 1) why spend money for that, 2) there isn't any space available in the studio

You might be thinking of the old set, where they used the area that interviews are done. They might be doing that now also, I don't know.



Inundated
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by Inundated » Sun May 13, 2018 6:34 am


organman95 wrote:
ftballfan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 pm
I thought the news on 29&8 were taped on a separate set
No. 1) why spend money for that, 2) there isn't any space available in the studio
Or, they could use a virtual set, like WKBN/27 Youngstown, Ohio does for partner WYTV/33. Little space, no extra cost.

That said, I have no idea what 7&4 actually does for the 29&8 newscasts.



organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:04 am

Inundated wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:34 am

Or, they could use a virtual set, like WKBN/27 Youngstown, Ohio does for partner WYTV/33. Little space, no extra cost.

That said, I have no idea what 7&4 actually does for the 29&8 newscasts.
There was a certain area that they did interviews on the old set, which they used for "UpNorthLive Tonight" on 29&8 until it was changed to "UpNorthLive News on 29&8" I believe they used the desk at that point.



Inundated
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by Inundated » Sun May 13, 2018 10:58 am

organman95 wrote:
Inundated wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:34 am

Or, they could use a virtual set, like WKBN/27 Youngstown, Ohio does for partner WYTV/33. Little space, no extra cost.

That said, I have no idea what 7&4 actually does for the 29&8 newscasts.
There was a certain area that they did interviews on the old set, which they used for "UpNorthLive Tonight" on 29&8 until it was changed to "UpNorthLive News on 29&8" I believe they used the desk at that point.
Which desk? From the 7&4 set?



organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 am

Yes, the 7&4 desk.



organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Sort of resurrecting this... Has anyone found the 9&10 50th Anniversary Special? And maybe an intro from the Beam days on 7&4?



fmdxguy5678
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:37 am
Location: TCMI
Contact:

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by fmdxguy5678 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:46 pm

I don't have a copy of either, but I really wish I did. What I DO have is an old 9&10 sign-off from '83 when they were owned by Ralph Wilson... but the picture is terrible because it was DX. I posted a mock-up on YouTube in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bqdIhJFpyA


WSRT 106.7 - You may have reached "The Peak", but you still struggle to climb the mountain of success.

Furthest FM Tropo Catch:
KEZO-FM 92.3 Omaha, NE
Recieved on 7/8/2018, 570.16 miles from Long Lake Township, MI

User avatar
Fingerboard Corners
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:24 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Anybody have the signoff for WPBN/WTOM from the 1970s or 1980s?



organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:53 pm

fmdxguy5678 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:46 pm
I don't have a copy of either, but I really wish I did. What I DO have is an old 9&10 sign-off from '83 when they were owned by Ralph Wilson... but the picture is terrible because it was DX. I posted a mock-up on YouTube in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bqdIhJFpyA
I find it interesting to do the microwave calls AFTER the anthem. That's usually when most leave the air.



organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Fingerboard Corners wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Anybody have the signoff for WPBN/WTOM from the 1970s or 1980s?
I'm sure someone has it on U-Matic in their basement 😁



User avatar
Fingerboard Corners
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:24 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by Fingerboard Corners » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:33 pm

It was fun tracking down those off air head ends near Stanwood (WOOD-TV) and South of Barryton (WNEM-TV). When the Weather Bugs were on, it was easy to spot which was being used. When the Tropo would kick up, they would switch back and forth for the best signal.

I found a couple by accident in the WWTV microwave links. One was Emerald, which is near Emerald Lake, near 80th Ave. and 23 Mile Rd. near Chippewa Lake. Finally found the intersection labelled Emerald on a plat map of Mecosta County Townships from the 1930s.



User avatar
Mars
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by Mars » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:58 pm

organman95 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:55 pm
Fingerboard Corners wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Anybody have the signoff for WPBN/WTOM from the 1970s or 1980s?
I'm sure someone has it on U-Matic in their basement 😁
I do have a U-matic in my basement and maybe the sign off. But I think I transferred it to dvd. I'll look around and post if I find it.
Fingerboard Corners wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:33 pm
When the Tropo would kick up, they would switch back and forth for the best signal.
They did the switching in kinda low tech way. They had an unlisted phone in the shack and calling it would switch one way or the other on each ring. Since no one picked up the phone, there were no toll charges, pricey in the day.



organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:43 am

Mars wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:58 pm
Fingerboard Corners wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Anybody have the signoff for WPBN/WTOM from the 1970s or 1980s?
I do have a U-matic in my basement and maybe the sign off. But I think I transferred it to dvd. I'll look around and post if I find it.
Fingerboard Corners wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:33 pm
When the Tropo would kick up, they would switch back and forth for the best signal.
They did the switching in kinda low tech way. They had an unlisted phone in the shack and calling it would switch one way or the other on each ring. Since no one picked up the phone, there were no toll charges, pricey in the day.
Awesome, Mars!! Knew we could count on you lol. Gotta find more former employees from before 90s with old tapes

Sometimes low-tech works best :) And found some more old tapes. Going through to see if there are any newscasts



User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 398
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 pm

organman95 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:53 pm
fmdxguy5678 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:46 pm
I don't have a copy of either, but I really wish I did. What I DO have is an old 9&10 sign-off from '83 when they were owned by Ralph Wilson... but the picture is terrible because it was DX. I posted a mock-up on YouTube in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bqdIhJFpyA
I find it interesting to do the microwave calls AFTER the anthem. That's usually when most leave the air.
In the 1970s, KXAS in Fort Worth did sort of the same thing -- but in the order of anthem (over the station logo), then details, then microwave calls, before cutting it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58OZIm87vs



organman95
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Old School 7&4

Post by organman95 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:06 am

Interesting. Just seems odd to me, considering how many I've seen that were cut after the anthem



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic