All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/6 at 8:30p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Weekend TV is Bad

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
TheForce

Weekend TV is Bad

Post by TheForce » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:38 am

This is more than a northern Michigan problem, but why is weekend TV so bad? Tons of kiddie programming...not really cartoons, infomercials, etc?? This affects free OTA TV and paid services as well. Not everyone is signed up to a streaming service or have a DVR.

Milk

Re: Weekend TV is Bad

Post by Milk » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:31 am

It's an FCC requirement for local TV stations to air three hours of E/I programming per week. I agree, it sucks. I prefer watching Tom and Jerry beat the living crap out of each other over watching some show made five years ago teaching kids that most dinosaurs ate plants. There's PBS for that.

I do wonder why 7&4 nor 9&10 have morning newscasts on the weekend. But with how Sinclair presents their newscasts, I shouldn't have typed that last sentence.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Milk wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:31 am
It's an FCC requirement for local TV stations to air three hours of E/I programming per week. I agree, it sucks. I prefer watching Tom and Jerry beat the living crap out of each other over watching some show made five years ago teaching kids that most dinosaurs ate plants. There's PBS for that.

I do wonder why 7&4 nor 9&10 have morning newscasts on the weekend. But with how Sinclair presents their newscasts, I shouldn't have typed that last sentence.
When I was a kid, I watched Saturday cartoons. Before E/I programming. ABC was my channel, Winnie the Pooh and other Disney cartoons, then ended with "Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show" 11 am-12pm. Then the ABC Saturday Movie or something else would follow. Any "E/I Programming" was the Schoolhouse Rock inserts during the morning, I think there were six, one during each half hour.

As for morning newscasts...it's all about revenue. Isn't that why 7&4 stopped doing noon newscasts, and then ultimately ended the 11 am newscasts?

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah, I'd love to have more weekend newscasts. I never have time to watch TV during the week, only on weekends.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 am

Weekend TV this time of year is bad because most normal people are out enjoying the beautiful weather, doing yard work, and generally doing anything other than hunkering down in front of the TV. The dateless wonder young male nerd demographic tuning in isn't a big advertising cash cow.

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 pm

organman95 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:14 pm
Milk wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:31 am

When I was a kid, I watched Saturday cartoons. Before E/I programming. ABC was my channel, Winnie the Pooh and other Disney cartoons, then ended with "Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show" 11 am-12pm. Then the ABC Saturday Movie or something else would follow. Any "E/I Programming" was the Schoolhouse Rock inserts during the morning, I think there were six, one during each half hour.

As for morning newscasts...it's all about revenue. Isn't that why 7&4 stopped doing noon newscasts, and then ultimately ended the 11 am newscasts?
I fucking LOVED those good old days of Saturday morning cartoons! I always thought ABC had the best lineup, with CBS as a close second and Fox and Kids WB fighting it out for third place....

Most of the shitty E/I stuff is from the FCC requiring educational stuff and most animation houses and broadcasters not wanting to put the extra effort into fitting their programs into the new laws... this doesn't affect programs on cable channels like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, which seems to be where all the good quality stuff went anyway. The E/I stuff would be bearable if it were actually watchable... but no, some of the stuff on NBC and MeTV borders on public-access in terms of quality. it's that bad. Like... PBS outcompetes it!

Newscasts started appearing on the weekend at the tail end of the 1990s and now Saturday's an unofficial "sixth" weekday as far as television stations are concerned.

I wrote a massive article about this on an animation and furry fandom website a couple years back... i'll post a link if you're interested in reading it:
https://www.flayrah.com/5877/after-thes ... ne-forever

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 pm
Most of the shitty E/I stuff is from the FCC requiring educational stuff and most animation houses and broadcasters not wanting to put the extra effort into fitting their programs into the new laws... The E/I stuff would be bearable if it were actually watchable... but no, some of the stuff on NBC and MeTV borders on public-access in terms of quality. it's that bad. Like... PBS outcompetes it!
Personally, even PBS's in-school programming from the days of yore are miles better than the E/I crap on commercial TV these days. Here's some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxm7fu ... 9yA/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuAoKa ... 6Hg/videos

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:27 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:36 pm
Most of the shitty E/I stuff is from the FCC requiring educational stuff and most animation houses and broadcasters not wanting to put the extra effort into fitting their programs into the new laws... The E/I stuff would be bearable if it were actually watchable... but no, some of the stuff on NBC and MeTV borders on public-access in terms of quality. it's that bad. Like... PBS outcompetes it!
Personally, even PBS's in-school programming from the days of yore are miles better than the E/I crap on commercial TV these days. Here's some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxm7fu ... 9yA/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuAoKa ... 6Hg/videos
These sorts of shows were technically played during school hours on the weekdays during the school year. I remember these well.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 am

If I recall, toward the end of the 90s, WGTU/WGTQ (29&8) was airing an hour and a half of E/I programming from 6:30-8:00, and then there was some science cartoon that was part of the "One Saturday Morning" block, and I think an hour of something after Looney Tunes. Before ALL that, I vaguely remember some "Popular Mechanics" type show at 6:30 am, Captain Planet at 7, and at one point King Arthur and the Knights of Justice at 7:30. Then New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at 8 (I don't remember any other timeslot), some other Disney cartoon at 8:30, and then in 1997, the "One Saturday Morning" block at 9 am. School House Rock was always inserted at various places between 9-12. Maybe that satisfied the E/I requirement back then?

And yes, PBS' 70's programming is better than the shit on Saturday mornings on networks today.

Oh, side note- On Friday and Saturday nights, 29&8 went off-air. Returning on-air at 6:25 am

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 pm

organman95 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 am
If I recall, toward the end of the 90s, WGTU/WGTQ (29&8) was airing an hour and a half of E/I programming from 6:30-8:00, and then there was some science cartoon that was part of the "One Saturday Morning" block, and I think an hour of something after Looney Tunes. Before ALL that, I vaguely remember some "Popular Mechanics" type show at 6:30 am, Captain Planet at 7, and at one point King Arthur and the Knights of Justice at 7:30. Then New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh at 8 (I don't remember any other timeslot), some other Disney cartoon at 8:30, and then in 1997, the "One Saturday Morning" block at 9 am. School House Rock was always inserted at various places between 9-12. Maybe that satisfied the E/I requirement back then?
Well when the "One Saturday Morning" thing happened on ABC in the 90's, some of the shows that were aired like Doug or Pepper Ann went "Pro Social" with their episodes to satisfied that criteria. Of course you had "Science Court" which obviously went the other way around, and whatever tiny bits of footage made just for the block that filled in the rest (Schoolhouse Rock was technically held over from the 70's with newer episodes that were produced every now and then).

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 am

I actually liked Disney's One Saturday Morning... and Science Court was my favourite part of that entire block... though I did like what ABC had beforehand (Reboot RULED! :D)

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

organman95

Post by organman95 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 am

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 pm
Well when the "One Saturday Morning" thing happened on ABC in the 90's, some of the shows that were aired like Doug or Pepper Ann went "Pro Social" with their episodes to satisfied that criteria. Of course you had "Science Court" which obviously went the other way around, and whatever tiny bits of footage made just for the block that filled in the rest (Schoolhouse Rock was technically held over from the 70's with newer episodes that were produced every now and then).
Ok, thanks for that clarification. I was a kid, and those were cartoons. I didn't see anything 'between the lines'

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:47 am
I actually liked Disney's One Saturday Morning... and Science Court was my favourite part of that entire block... though I did like what ABC had beforehand (Reboot RULED! :D)
Reboot certainly did.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 pm

I actually liked Disney's One Saturday Morning... and Science Court was my favourite part of that entire block... though I did like what ABC had beforehand

The people who made Science Court are also the people responsible for Bob's Burgers. I know H John Benjamin, (the voice of Bob Belcher) did a voice on that show but I can't remember which one. The judge was played by Paula Poundstone.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 pm

I vaguely remember some "Popular Mechanics" type show at 6:30 am,

I think Elisha Cuthbert from 24 was one of the hosts on that show.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Broadcast networks need to return to cartoons ditch the E/I & nature show. The only broadcaster that did bring back cartoons was Sinclair Broadcasting mainly their CW & MYNet TV stations some Fox stations that don't do news also airs the Kids Click lineup for 3 hours 7 days a week that began last July 1ST 17 also This TV also airs Kids Click. It comes on CW7 in the West Michigan Market although 6 out 7 days it starts at 5AM to 7AM since they repeat 6AM News at 7AM then air the last hour at 8AM Saturdays comes on from 5AM to 8AM and Sundays from 7AM to 10AM.

Which is when Kids Click starts at 7AM to 10AM I did watch the final hour when the final hour aired at 12PM to 1PM last year on CW7 which was The New Pink Panther & Friends & Pac-Man cartoon that aired on Disney XD in 2013 watched a few EP's when it was on Disney XD. The ads were Chucky Cheeses, And the value ad's no kids toys or Mickey D's Happy Meals or Cereal ad's because the kidvid rules killed it Hoping now that The FCC changing the kidvids rules sometime soon will have a return to Saturday Morning cartoons back.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 am

MasterB wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 pm
Hoping now that The FCC changing the kidvids rules sometime soon will have a return to Saturday Morning cartoons back.
Wishful thinking. The FCC doesn't give a shit what the average person wants. Unless have x-millions to *buy* your say, forget it.

I'm looking for an old TV Guide from around the mid-90s with 29&8's lineup, since everything before 8 AM was local programming. I also remember reruns of "Coach" at 7:30 timeslot at somepoint in the 90s as well. At some other point Bill Nye began airing at 6:30 am.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 am

Maybe it's just me, but I find it kinda funny.

All these 'grups' on the board here wanting a return to Saturday morning cartoons, while the kids they'd ostensibly be aimed towards probably couldn't care less... plenty of other ways to watch or learn or be entertained electronically.

Meanwhile, the FCC has all but assured that OTA TV is headed down the same road as radio.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

organman95

Post by organman95 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:26 am

kager wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 am
Meanwhile, the FCC has all but assured that OTA TV is headed down the same road as radio.
Which is crap...but it really doesn't matter. With most (if not all) stations streaming their news broadcasts, as long as they can continue to get the adverts needed, why keep OTA transmitters? The more I think about it, getting rid of transmitters would save stations thousands of dollars a year.

Biggest problem them arises in that we STILL have at least 20% of the country without high-speed broadband internet access. I know areas of Northern MI that still rely on dial-up and have crap cell reception.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:54 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 pm
The people who made Science Court are also the people responsible for Bob's Burgers. I know H John Benjamin, (the voice of Bob Belcher) did a voice on that show but I can't remember which one. The judge was played by Paula Poundstone.
Science Court was produced by the same producers as "Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist", a Comedy Central series that also employed the Squigglevision technique.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic