All new acct registrations in the queue as of 6/16 at 8:10a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Freedom Radio FM on 91.5

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ftballfan

Freedom Radio FM on 91.5

Post by ftballfan » Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 pm

The Freedom Radio FM satellator in Manistee, which had been on 91.7 for the past few years, has moved to 91.5 within the last couple of months. This move makes little to no sense unless they were basically forced to move due to the WGCP upgrade. This really hurts WICA's reach in Manistee, considering that 89.7 WLMN can sometimes be wiped out even within its own COL.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Freedom Radio FM on 91.5

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 26, 2018 10:06 am

Full power stations are protected from translator interference, even if the interference occurs somewhat outside of the full power station's FCC defined service area.

Given the fact WGCP's predicted 60 dBu almost makes it to Manistee, my guess is the translator was either forced to move or did so voluntarily as a preemptive measure.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 am

This will have no impact on WICA. Even in good climate conditions the signal will never make it to the Manistee county line and no chance reaching the city itself.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:49 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 am
This will have no impact on WICA. Even in good climate conditions the signal will never make it to the Manistee county line and no chance reaching the city itself.
That's a funny thing to say, almost as if you had no knowledge of tropo. WICA was a regular in Manistee according to every bandscan taken there in the past few years. It showed up in pretty much every one by ftballfan. Should come in just fine after dark once the lake breezes change to land breezes. Of course, not anymore though.

That's like when you hear a station via Tr or Es and ask their staff to confirm a song match and they tell you "it's impossible that it was us. Our signal makes it out 35 miles and nobody beyond that can hear it, so you did not hear us; it's impossible." (I think we've all had at least one of those asshats in the past! :lol:)

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:52 am

While I agree that someone as gifted as you with a slightly more complex set up might be impacted. I believe the FCC looks at a different set of criteria when assigning a translator.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:38 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:52 am
While I agree that someone as gifted as you with a slightly more complex set up might be impacted. I believe the FCC looks at a different set of criteria when assigning a translator.
I'm not saying anything about the FCC or how it sees things (which is mostly in dollar signs, but we all know that they naturally don't figure tropo or atmospheric conditions into how they assign stations; it's just how they do things). I was commenting solely on you saying that a station has no chance of reaching Manistee... even in good conditions. I was just stating that it was proven false multiple times by another user who is participating in this very thread that in fact, the station was a regular in town. The translator has no business impact on WICA, I agree. They have a signal on 89.7 in Manistee already (not a great signal, but it's there) and Manistee isn't meant to be covered by 91.5 either way.

Of course, I don't live in Manistee, nor do I have any setup at all, so I'm not impacted in the least by any of this. I didn't have a chance to do my Manistee bandscan work until just after the station moved, which I was actually quite happy about as it opens 91.7 to hear Rhinelander once again.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 pm

91.7 has been mostly Rhinelander, with Alpena and Muskegon showing up rarely. Speaking of Rhinelander, 105.3 is pretty much a regular in Manistee, with 94.5 and 97.3 not far behind

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic