Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

No New FM In Gaylord, Mich., Just Yet

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:39 pm

By Adam Jacobson - November 10, 2017

In early August 2016, Roy Henderson notified the FCC that he had created a wholly owned limited liability company. This entity, N Content Marketing, would serve as the owner of an AM in Petoskey, Mich. and 1 AM and 3 FMs in Traverse City, Mich.

Two months later, RBR + TVBR learned that Henderson’s new entity sought FCC approval for a brand-new Class C2 FM facility in the resort community of Gaylord, Mich.

He’s not getting the new station, the Media Bureau has ruled. But, another entity can.

ftballfan

Re: No New FM In Gaylord, Mich., Just Yet

Post by ftballfan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 pm

tvbobn wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:39 pm
By Adam Jacobson - November 10, 2017

In early August 2016, Roy Henderson notified the FCC that he had created a wholly owned limited liability company. This entity, N Content Marketing, would serve as the owner of an AM in Petoskey, Mich. and 1 AM and 3 FMs in Traverse City, Mich.

Two months later, RBR + TVBR learned that Henderson’s new entity sought FCC approval for a brand-new Class C2 FM facility in the resort community of Gaylord, Mich.

He’s not getting the new station, the Media Bureau has ruled. But, another entity can.
That would mean it's going up for auction in a future FCC auction.

Milk

Post by Milk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:40 pm

There's more to the story:

One of the keys to the decision, it seems, is a joint counterproposal filed by Henderson himself and another one of his operations, Great Northern Broadcasting System.

This counterproposal would have involved four station relocations, a voluntary downgrade for another station, and the dropping of new channels in no less than four municipalities across Michigan.

That plan would have impacted WATZ Radio, owner of WATZ-FM in Alpena, Mich.

In opposition to the Joint Counterproposal, WATZ Radio contends that it is against FCC policy for a petitioner to file a counterproposal against its own petition for rule making, as Henderson has done. WATZ Radio also directs attention to Henderson’s alleged past “insincere” allotment rule making efforts and other alleged misrepresentations to the Commission.

In its decision, the Media Bureau says Henderson “provided no reason or explanation as to why the Joint Counterproposal could not have been set forth in the original petition.”

But, it is the Joint Counterproposal itself that the Commission finds problematic. “The Joint Counterproposal is not technically acceptable,” it said, noting that a proposed relocation of WOUF-FM 99.3 in Beulah, Michigan to Traverse City, Michigan, “would not result in a preferential arrangement of allotments.”

Furthermore, two other proposed station moves would result in short-spacing.

Thus, Robertson is out of the running for the new station, which is proposed as a Class C2 facility serving the town of 3,645 permanent residents with a signal between 25kw and 50kw at 97.1 MHz.

One other party may proceed: Smile TV. This entity also filed a counterproposal to the original N Content Marketing petition.

Smile TV’s opportunity to pursue its FCC Form 301 application, File No. BNPH-20161128AGB, can come via a separate rule making proceeding, affording the opportunity for the filing of comments and counterproposals.

https://www.rbr.com/therell-be-no-new-f ... -just-yet/

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:20 am

It was really bad day for Roy. The KROY license loss was affirmed.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attac ... 1098A1.pdf
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 am

Milk wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:40 pm

One of the keys to the decision, it seems, is a joint counterproposal filed by Henderson himself and another one of his operations, Great Northern Broadcasting System.

This counterproposal would have involved four station relocations, a voluntary downgrade for another station, and the dropping of new channels in no less than four municipalities across Michigan.

In opposition to the Joint Counterproposal, WATZ Radio contends that it is against FCC policy for a petitioner to file a counterproposal against its own petition for rule making, as Henderson has done. WATZ Radio also directs attention to Henderson’s alleged past “insincere” allotment rule making efforts and other alleged misrepresentations to the Commission.

In its decision, the Media Bureau says Henderson “provided no reason or explanation as to why the Joint Counterproposal could not have been set forth in the original petition.”

But, it is the Joint Counterproposal itself that the Commission finds problematic. “The Joint Counterproposal is not technically acceptable,” it said, noting that a proposed relocation of WOUF-FM 99.3 in Beulah, Michigan to Traverse City, Michigan, “would not result in a preferential arrangement of allotments.”

Thus, Robertson is out of the running for the new station, which is proposed as a Class C2 facility serving the town of 3,645 permanent residents with a signal between 25kw and 50kw at 97.1 MHz.

One other party may proceed: Smile TV. This entity also filed a counterproposal to the original N Content Marketing petition.

Smile TV’s opportunity to pursue its FCC Form 301 application, File No. BNPH-20161128AGB, can come via a separate rule making proceeding, affording the opportunity for the filing of comments and counterproposals.

I don't know where you found your information, but it seems to be correct. I do have to ask about the name "Robertson" that you mention near the end of your post. I assume that's a typo and should read "Henderson"???

One other point I'm wondering about is when it is mentioned "proposed as a Class C2 facility serving the town of 3,645 permanent residents with a signal between 25kw and 50kw at 97.1 MHz". When someone tries to get a new station allocated, it's almost always as "first service" to some community. Gaylord already has several stations licensed to it. The FCC doesn't normally add another station to a community that has several stations already. Elmira qualifies, where Gaylord doesn't. I'm just mentioning that to add to the discussion.

Milk

Post by Milk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 pm

tvbobn wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 am
Milk wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:40 pm

I don't know where you found your information, but it seems to be correct. I do have to ask about the name "Robertson" that you mention near the end of your post. I assume that's a typo and should read "Henderson"???

One other point I'm wondering about is when it is mentioned "proposed as a Class C2 facility serving the town of 3,645 permanent residents with a signal between 25kw and 50kw at 97.1 MHz". When someone tries to get a new station allocated, it's almost always as "first service" to some community. Gaylord already has several stations licensed to it. The FCC doesn't normally add another station to a community that has several stations already. Elmira qualifies, where Gaylord doesn't. I'm just mentioning that to add to the discussion.
It must be a typo on their part. I found the story on www.rbr.com.

Another question worth thinking about is why Henderson would want to start more stations when he can't keep his current stations on the air. To me, it's like a mother who can't afford to take care of herself and she keeps getting pregnant.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:07 am

Another typo: It's Smile FM, not Smile TV. Their 97.1 would be a Class A station licensed to Gerrish, near Roscommon. A 97.1 C2 where Henderson originally proposed would be fully spaced to existing stations. It (the standalone drop-in, not the one with WOUF moving to the WPBN/WGTU tower) likely would have been approved if (a) someone other than Henderson was proposing it and/or (b) its proposed COL was a community with no stations (Lewiston or Johannesburg).

It could have been worse for Henderson if one of his MI FM licenses were deleted (all of them except 101.9 should be deleted IMHO, which would likely lead to a sale of 101.9).

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:08 am

Milk wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 pm
Another question worth thinking about is why Henderson would want to start more stations when he can't keep his current stations on the air. To me, it's like a mother who can't afford to take care of herself and she keeps getting pregnant.
Off topic, but there are people I know of that are in the exact same situation. They manage to get pregnant while being unable to take care of themselves or their kids.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 am

In a case of irony, I was in TC yesterday morning and guess what I was getting on 99.3: WATZ with full RDS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic